The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Travel guitars

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

sycamore
Posted 2009-03-24 11:51 AM (#421866)
Subject: Travel guitars

How does the sound of the Trekker (or any other mini Ovation) compare to the likes of the Martin Backpacker or similar? Looking for something small and portable, possibly a Uke or Mando but i already know how to play guitar.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-03-24 8:37 PM (#421867 - in reply to #421866)
Subject: Re: Travel guitars

Nothing sounds worse than the Martin Backpacker. Never played a Trekker, but the little Applause sounds decent for a small guitar.
Miguel - BR
Posted 2009-03-24 8:44 PM (#421868 - in reply to #421866)

I have a Yamaha APX-T (for "travel") and it sounds good plugged in, but lacks the basses when unplugged. Sadly it seems that Yamaha discontinued this model, but it is nice to carry along in a trip.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-03-24 8:48 PM (#421869 - in reply to #421866)

Thank You Mike, I didn't wanna be the first one to dis the Martin. :p

As to the Trekker, it has no (B)ass. But I have not taken it outside. I have used it to practice and it is surprisingly loud for it's size. I haven't decided which strings to put on it when I change... I'm sure that makes a difference.
I might add that even though the Trekker has a 22.5" scale the finger-board is the same size as a Real Guitar.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2009-03-24 8:57 PM (#421870 - in reply to #421866)

The Trekker sounds quite a bit better than the Applause since it's quite a bit larger. The Martin Backpacker is just about the worst sounding travel guitar around (but it IS tiny). I looked into getting a Trekker as a travel guitar to save space in the packed car; in the end I felt it was too close to the size of a regular Ovation to be much of a space-saver. Unfortunately, the more space-saving a guitar gets the more disappointing it's sound. IMHO, the best sounding AND ALSO good space savers are the Little Martin and Morgan Monroe's little travel guitars. They have a 12string travel guitar that I would LOVE to get. It sounds very nice, especially if you put a capo on the 5th fret, and it has electronics.
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-03-25 12:25 AM (#421871 - in reply to #421866)

I have a Traveler Escape MkII. Traveler Guitar They make no acoustic sound at all (well almost none) so are good for practising in all sorts of locations. It has a full size fretboard with a 1 3/4" nut and a nice playing action.

You can plug in headphones directly into the guitar, as it comes with it's own amp, or play it through an amplifier. My only grumbles are that the supplied headphones have a 1/8" plug along with a lengthy 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor. I replaced the plug on the headphones with a 1/4" plug from a local electrical supply store (requires some basic soldering skills). Also, the socket was a bit dodgy, but Traveler replaced this (in the US they'll do the service themselves).

Ergonomically it is very good. Not as good as a full sized acoustic, but quite liveable, especially when you are on holidays and it is your only option for a playable guitar.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-03-25 3:34 AM (#421872 - in reply to #421866)

+1 for the Traveler. Best bang for buck I think.

I had this one.

but decided to sell it and hopefully will get this one.

in the near future.

The sound powered headsets sound great for practice, and you'd be AMAZED what these puppies (especially the pro-series) sound like plugged in.
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-03-25 5:36 AM (#421873 - in reply to #421866)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
Nothing sounds worse than the Martin Backpacker.
As a Martin fan, I have to agree. Those things are really crap. I think most of you know what my vote is for the best travel guitar (cargo), but that's because I would use it acoustically. The other one Miles mentioned is great if you just want to tune the world out and play through a headset, as is the Yamaha silent string series, although the Yamaha is as large as a full size guitar when assembled.
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-03-25 8:08 AM (#421874 - in reply to #421866)

Cargo period
gh1
Posted 2009-03-25 8:15 AM (#421875 - in reply to #421866)

Originally posted by Jeff W.:
Cargo period
Yep.

_____
gh1
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-03-25 8:19 AM (#421876 - in reply to #421866)

I have a Traveler Pro Deluxe, same as Mile's first pic, but with a maple fretboard and gold hardware. Very nice little travel companion, comes with its own carrying case, and plays like a full size electric. The only issue I have is that the roller mechanism at the bottom of the guitar needs to be well lubed with graphite at every string change. Otherwise, the rollers can stick and wreck havoc with tuning.
bvince
Posted 2009-03-25 8:28 AM (#421877 - in reply to #421866)

Would a parlor guitar be small enough to use as a traveler? If so, it seems it would meet the need for a small size but a quality sound.
sycamore
Posted 2009-03-25 8:45 AM (#421878 - in reply to #421866)

The Little Martins etc. sound good but not small enough, I accept that you lose something int he sound if you go smaller. The Traveller is great but you need an amp, I would ,like to be heard without one. Why doesn't someone make a guitar using a mandolin design? Mandos don't sound like guitars, but good ones are plenty loud. Should be possible to make a wider-necked 6-string version maybe with a longer scale length so you play it like a guitar.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-03-25 10:13 AM (#421879 - in reply to #421866)

The ideal "travel guitar" depends on what you really want. The closer you want to a guitar that sounds like, and plays like, your full sized acoustics at home the less "travel" compatible it's going to be. A parlor would be a fine choice, the Cargo is great, a little Martin or Taylor baby all good choices. But these are all 80% of a full sized guitar.

If your interest is backpacking, cycling, stashing it in a plane overhead, etc. then you need to rethink your goal. Personally I like to use my travel time as a BREAK from regular guitar playing and try something different. Keep my musical inspirations focussed, but diversify a bit. For me the ideal solution is a concert or tenor sized UKULELE. It tunes and plays just like a guitar, is quiet enough for hitel room use at any hour, and extremely portable.
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-03-25 8:07 PM (#421880 - in reply to #421866)

Originally posted by bvince:
Would a parlor guitar be small enough to use as a traveler? If so, it seems it would meet the need for a small size but a quality sound.
Vince, if you've never played a Cargo, you are in for a treat when you do. Acoustically, the sound of a full size guitar in a very small, relatively indestructible package.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2009-03-25 8:35 PM (#421881 - in reply to #421866)

As for parlor guitars...

I've taken my '97 Collectors on vacation. We drove to Maine, I put it in the tent with us. I didn't have to put it in an airplane overhead. I also took my Sweetwater T on the same sort of trip. The joy of hearing a full-size guitar quietly in the evening was wonderful. I was nervous at times about the '97. I would have been more comfortable with a more "replaceable" guitar. I also had the original case which is a terribly heavy case to haul around; I had no gig bag for it. I think a cheap parlor guitar would have been good.
dvd
Posted 2009-03-26 12:25 AM (#421882 - in reply to #421866)

If you can swing it, the Cargo is the way to go. Spendy but you get a "no compromises" travel guit.

If you're looking for something low-budget, you might want to check out the Washburn Rover. For what it is, it doesn't sound bad. Comes with a decent case sized for airline overheads.
sycamore
Posted 2009-03-26 6:42 AM (#421883 - in reply to #421866)

Basically I need small. It's for going on holidays with small children where the car is already stuffed to the gills with all the stuff THEY need. Also would use it for weekend cycle trips. I think a ukelele might be the most cost effective. I can get reasonable sounding one for about 1/4 the price of a Backpacker. And if it got lost/broken, no major problem. If used Backpackers went for what they are worth, I'd try one of those but they go for silly money
bvince
Posted 2009-03-26 7:14 AM (#421884 - in reply to #421866)

I'll have to check out that cargo one when I get to go to a "real" guitar store again. I also like the idea of getting a GOOD tenor uke, but I don't know enough about them to know what a good one is.
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-03-26 7:27 AM (#421885 - in reply to #421866)

If small is what you want, the Traveler is about as small as you can get while still having a full size fretboard. As it is a solid body, it's pretty tough too.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2009-03-26 7:51 AM (#421886 - in reply to #421866)

I forgot about the Washburn Rover; that's a very nice little package with the case and all.
birddog
Posted 2009-03-26 8:53 AM (#421887 - in reply to #421866)

Ever hearn of Brunner guitars ?
Maybe more than you want to spend, but if I had the money I would certainly check one out before I spent a dime.

Hey,they are endorsed by Roy Bookbinder.
click on the my collapsable guitar link.

http://www.roybookbinder.com/links.php

I like the concept.

Wally
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)