The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
2 questions from a newcomer

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

rhythm s pace
Posted 2011-04-14 11:42 PM (#1699)
Subject: 2 questions from a newcomer

Hey there, I'm grateful to be a new member of the club. I've owned at least 6 Ovation guitars over my 30 odd years as a player. I wish I had held on to at least a few of them. There were 3 Breadwinners (1 of which I do still own),a Preacher,and a pair of Legends.Each and every one of them had excellent touch,with minimal setup.I just received ownership of my first Nylon string Ovation today.It's a model 1624-4 (Country Artist I believe?).Serial #021824,I think it's from 1975. Can anyone help confirm the model and year? But more importantly-the touch seems kind of high.It measures about 1/4inch on both E strings at the 12th fret.This was after I carefully lifted the saddle and removed a small square shim on the treble side.
The neck's pretty straight. SO A couple of questions if anyone can help. 1)Is this a normal height for a nylon string?(it seems kinda' high).
and 2)What can I do to lower the touch? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you kindly in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2011-04-15 2:27 PM (#1700 - in reply to #1699)
Subject: Re: 2 questions from a newcomer

Hey there rhy,

Welcome.

It sounds to me like a neck reset is all that could save that thing, but you should probably ask more knowledgeable folks. I'm more of an electric dude myself.

I've updated your status so feel free to post everywhere now.

BTW, I bought my first electric guitar in '83, a brand new Preacher (but traded up to UKII after a few weeks)
rhythm s pace
Posted 2011-04-15 3:33 PM (#1701 - in reply to #1699)
Subject: Re: 2 questions from a newcomer

Thanks Damon.I was hoping it wouldn't come to that(a neck reset).I'll bring it to a local reputable luthier and get an estimate.I hope it's not too expensive,on top of the $475 I paid for the guitar,this could add up to way more than market value.Such is life...
Any other feedback ideas/suggestion are welcome.

Thank you very much for updating my status.I've just bought my 1st computer(@50yrs.of age)and this site looks like a great place to get my feet wet!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)