The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
BFLG Question ? - Bowl Cutting for Preamp Installation?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

FlySig
Posted 2009-04-11 5:16 PM (#419617 - in reply to #419592)
Subject: Re: BFLG Question ? - Bowl Cutting for Preamp Installation?

I believe that the iDea pinout is the same as OpPro, OpPro Studio, and VIP. So it should drop right into those cans. The Op30 is definitely different than the OpPro. Though it drops in, I don't want to turn it on and fry something!

As far as swapping cans, it is super simple. The process only takes about 1 minute once you've gathered up the required philips screwdriver. Just unscrew the two clamp screws, gently pull the can out, and unplug the two wires (pickup and output jack). Plug both wires into replacement can, then put the can in the guitar and gently tighten the clamps. Done.

The iDeafordummies site says that it drops into all the cans, including OP30. Can anyone verify that the connector is safe and functional between these different cans?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-04-11 5:28 PM (#419618 - in reply to #419592)

Do Not drop and iDea into the OP-30! I am almost positive... Aw, I'll go look!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-04-11 5:32 PM (#419619 - in reply to #419592)

I am positive that the OP-30 has six contacts and the OP-Pro, VIP and iDea have eight.

I don't know if you would fry something by trying to plug one into the other,
But is it worth a few hunnert bucks to find-out?

The iDea drops into the VIP and works... in case anybody wondered! :p
FlySig
Posted 2009-04-11 5:39 PM (#419620 - in reply to #419592)

Op30 connector:

OpPro Studio (same as OpPro and VIP) connector:

Op30 next to OpPro Studio:

standing
Posted 2009-04-11 6:37 PM (#419621 - in reply to #419592)

Well, that's really good news…

The cans in the guitars that I want to swap pre-amps around with are an OP-Pro and a VIP-5. I'll look at the connectors to be sure they are the same. Hmmmm, I guess the iDea Pre-amp (and can) must have an extra connector somewhere for the "aux line in" which simply remains unconnected, and therefore bypassed, if just the iDea Pre-amp is dropped into an OpPro, OpPro Studio, or VIP can…

Now, just to confuse things, is there any reason whey you can't go the other way… for example, drop an OP-Pro pre-amp into an iDea can?

Regardless, it seems I'm back on track, thanks!!!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-04-11 8:26 PM (#419622 - in reply to #419592)

Read carefully... Cuz I don't know how well this applies:

I have the iDea module, and it spends most of it's life in the box it came in.
I switch it out with an OP-Pro to use it... (I have not installed the can in any guitar)
The first time I did this I figured that I would put the OP-Pro in the iDea can for storage...
When I did that the OP-Pro lit-up like it was being plugged-in!
Then the little red-lite on the OP-Pro flashes about once every two-or-three seconds.

This leads me to believe that the wiring in the iDea can is somehow different.
I don't know how or why, but it ain't the same.
standing
Posted 2009-04-12 1:20 AM (#419623 - in reply to #419592)

OMA,

That's curious. I am much more interested in being able to swap the iDea into another can than putting an OP-Pro into the frankenlegend I am considering creating anyway…

Have you cut any holes yet?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-04-12 1:46 AM (#419624 - in reply to #419592)

I ain't cutting anything yet... Not til I get the Preamp and I am sure that it works.
I also gotta run down to Home Depot and get some of them 'drill bits' that go into a Dremel and cut in all directions.
I KNOW that I have some in my tools from work! And I am sure that I will find them...
Right after I buy some new ones! :mad:

'Bout the same way as when I had to buy crazy-glue...
Then I found all my old crazy-glue as soon as I was putting the new tubes away. :rolleyes:

But like I said, for drop-in the idea works with any OP-Pro or newer.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-04-14 3:43 AM (#419625 - in reply to #419592)

So... I basically destroyed my Trekker! :mad:
It will still work, but I discovered that the undersaddle pick-up don't work. I swapped the OP-11 with my OP-30 both ways. So the preamp works, the can works, the plug works, so the preamp don't work.
I just bought an Artec and I will give that a shot when it comes.

It looks really great in those photos...
Photos of the Real Distruction are here...
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-04-14 4:41 AM (#419626 - in reply to #419592)

You're a brave man OMA!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-04-14 5:15 AM (#419627 - in reply to #419592)

Self Edit--
Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
So... I basically destroyed my Trekker! :mad:
It will still work, but I discovered that the undersaddle pick-up don't work. I swapped the OP-11 with my OP-30 both ways. So the preamp works, the can works, the plug works, so the -[preamp]- (I meant to type 'Pick-up') don't work.
I just bought an Artec and I will give that a shot when it comes.

It looks really great in those photos...
Photos of the Real Distruction are here...
Not really 'Brave'... Alittle foolhardy maybe...
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-04-14 8:24 AM (#419628 - in reply to #419592)

I consider removing shims or changing tuner buttons a major operation.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-04-14 9:05 AM (#419629 - in reply to #419592)

Nervewracking... isn't it?

I swap out the iDea and the OpPro on a regular basis on the '05 collectors without any problems.
standing
Posted 2009-04-14 2:38 PM (#419630 - in reply to #419592)

OMA, congratulations on cutting holes in your guitar! ;) (There's a sentence you don't hear very often…)

I wouldn't say that you "destroyed" it by a long-shot. It just needs a little trouble-shooting… In fact, it looks to me like you got the can to sit in there nicely, it's hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but it looks like you were able to get it to sit snug without gaps?

Did you use the "clay" trick or did you just go with the paper template?

I'm a little confused by what is not working… Have you determined that it is the pickup or the preamp (or both) that are causing the problem? Does anything happen? (buzzing, lights, animal calls, anything?)

Where did you obtain the 1/4" jack? Were you able to find one pre-wired to just plug into the output connector on the can, or did you have to solder it together?

You are officially ahead of me on your project, so I can't offer too much advice, but I'm sure the real BFLG folks might have some suggestions for diagnosing the pickup problem… (thanks for blazing the trail, though ;) )

If it were me, I'd first make sure that I had not cross-connected any wires, and I'd recheck all the other real obvious stuff, too, like, did you use a fresh battery in the preamp? Those are the kinds of things that can drive you crazy because they are so obvious that you just KNOW they are ok… until they're not. ;)

You bought the preamp and pickup off of EBay, right? I'm sure there is some simple way to test them externally (from the guitar) just to verify that they are functional, but, again, I'm a novice at this stuff.

As for my similar project… the guitar arrived yesterday, and she sounds purty… I may have to rethink cutting into her… or find yet another one, you can never have too many, right? Anyway, that belongs in another thread, so I will try to take some photos and post them and start a freah topic on that later…

Good Luck,
standing
Posted 2009-04-14 2:49 PM (#419631 - in reply to #419592)

OMA, congratulations on cutting holes in your guitar! (Now, there's a sentence you don't hear very often…)

I wouldn't say that you "destroyed" it by a long-shot. It just needs a little trouble-shooting… In fact, it looks to me like you got the can to sit in there nicely, it's hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but it looks like you were able to get it to sit snug without gaps? That would seem to be the most nerve-wracking part of the project…

questions, questions:

Did you use the "clay" trick or did you just go with a paper/masking tape template?

OK, I just reread your revised message, and I see that you have narrowed the problem down to the pickup. Were the pickup and saddle all one unit or did put the pickup under the existing saddle? Did you have to remove shims to compensate for the added height from the pickup being under the saddle?

Where did you obtain the 1/4" jack? Were you able to find one pre-wired to just plug into the output connector on the can, or did you have to solder it together?

You are officially ahead of me on your project, so I can't offer too much advice, but I'm sure the real BFLG folks might have some suggestions for diagnosing the pickup problem… (thanks for blazing the trail, though ;) )

If it were me, I'd first make sure that I had not cross-connected any wires, and I'd recheck all the other real obvious stuff, too, like, did you use a fresh battery in the preamp? Those are the kinds of things that can drive you crazy because they are so obvious that you just KNOW they are ok… until they're not. ;)

You bought the preamp and pickup off of EBay, right? I wonder if there is a way to test a pickup in advance before going to the hassle of installing it? There must be some way, but, again, I'm a novice at this stuff.

As for my similar project… the guitar arrived yesterday, and she sounds purty… I may have to rethink cutting into her… or find yet another one, you can never have too many, right? Anyway, that belongs in another thread, so I will try to take some photos and post them and start a freah topic on that later…

Good Luck,
standing
Posted 2009-04-14 2:52 PM (#419632 - in reply to #419592)

Sorry about the double post, I must have hit "add reply" instead of "preview post" somewhere along the way… Is there a way to remove a post one you add it, or is that only available to the admins?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-04-16 6:03 PM (#419633 - in reply to #419592)

Well... The Electric Trekker now works. I put in an Artec undersaddle pickup. That fixed it.
If anyone is thinking about doing this I have to warn you that the big can sticking into the guitar body changes the tone noticeably. But I ain't gonna be using it for concerts. If I ever want Really good tone outside I have other O's. But it is portable and this was an educational project.
(I wouldn't have done it if it was my only guitar, or even a really Nice guitar. :p )
If I ever electrify another Trekker I will use a direct link to an endpin jack.

Standing... I don't know what guitars you have but an iDea will drop-in to an OP-Pro and VIP.
Maybe others, but I have no personal experience with that.
standing
Posted 2009-04-16 7:16 PM (#419634 - in reply to #419592)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
Well... The Electric Trekker now works. I put in an Artec undersaddle pickup. That fixed it.
If anyone is thinking about doing this I have to warn you that the big can sticking into the guitar body changes the tone noticeably. But I ain't gonna be using it for concerts. If I ever want Really good tone outside I have other O's. But it is portable and this was an educational project.
(I wouldn't have done it if it was my only guitar, or even a really Nice guitar. :p )
If I ever electrify another Trekker I will use a direct link to an endpin jack.

Standing... I don't know what guitars you have but an iDea will drop-in to an OP-Pro and VIP.
Maybe others, but I have no personal experience with that.
OMA. Interesting, but not surprising, that the addition of the large can alters the sound, I guess the bigger the bowl, the less if would be effected. I picked up an old Legend with the intention of adding a can/preamp/pickup, but the thing sounds so sweet, I may change my mind… ;)

Regardless, I already have both an OP-Pro and a VIP-equipped guitar, so the iDea should work in the existing cans.

Thanks!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)