The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Choosing String Weight/Size?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

bvince
Posted 2009-04-10 11:30 AM (#419576)
Subject: Choosing String Weight/Size?

Can somebody here provide an in-depth explanation on the differences of string weight/size and how they actually affect sound and playability?..I have noticed that some people refer to a specific string gauge also when suggesting strings, and I find that a bit confusing to a string novice such as I. I have experimented a bit, going from lights to mediums, and the Mediums seem to improve the tone quite a bit, but reduce the flexibility of the strings making them harder to bend notes. The lighter gauge strings also seem to give more fret buzz on a lower action guitar.

Given the importance of good and correct strings for improved sound, I thought it would make for a good information topic.

Thanks in advance!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-04-10 11:39 AM (#419577 - in reply to #419576)
Subject: Re: Choosing String Weight/Size?

Vince,

I find the FAQ topic to be my best response:

Q: What is everybody's favorite strings?

A: The choice of strings is very personal and highly subjective. Much of it depends on your experience, playing style, and personal taste. Ask 10 people what their favorite is and you'll get 10 different answers. Thicker strings will give you more volume and sustain, but are harder to press. Thinner strings are easier to play, but don't have as much volume. Don't be afraid to try several brands and sizes and find what is right for you.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-04-10 11:57 AM (#419578 - in reply to #419576)

I've pretty much switched back to lights (.12-.53), in lieu of the extra lights, on guitars that I play primarily adagio and leads, and the mediums (.13-.56) for the few guitars where I primarily just strum. I'm staying away from the ultra lights (.10-.47) because I find the lights just as easy to bend and would rather not give up anything in tone, particularly for the SSBs that I primarily play. As far as the manufacturer, I don't have a preference. I seem to pick up a lot of free sets here and there, and if my supply starts to run low, I'll check to see what is on sale and buy several dozen. To my ears, and plugged in, I can't tell much difference from one manufacturer to another. When the low E and A strings lose their ringing pop, its time to change.
BT717
Posted 2009-04-10 12:38 PM (#419579 - in reply to #419576)

To add just a bit. I've always used lights (12-53) and just recently tried a set of Med lights.(12-56) I put them on my 1778lx mid depth bowl and the bass just POPPED!! So, a quick easy description would be in my experience, Heavier ga, more pronounced bass.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-04-10 12:49 PM (#419580 - in reply to #419576)

Originally posted by BT717:
So, a quick easy description would be in my experience, Heavier ga, more pronounced bass.
Agreed. However, in my case, I'm running a dual-stage compressor on the pedal board to dial out some of the bass presence, so increasing bass response is not necessarily desirable. We have a darned good bass player in the band, so there is less need for me emphasize the lower notes. Also, by compressing some bass, it allows me to increase mid-range and treble volume.
an4340
Posted 2009-04-10 12:53 PM (#419581 - in reply to #419576)

There's not much to explain. The operative concepts are not weight and size, but gauge and tension. The greater the guage and the tension, the greater the pull on the neck, the greater the force applied to the top, hence more volume. This also would explain why you have more buzz with the lighter strings as the neck would be flatter.

Think of the guitar body as a bow, and the strings as the string that shoots an arrow. Once you get that bow and arrow concept, the rest follow naturally. In fact, the bow (as in bow and arrow) was probably the first stringed instrument.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)