The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Flirted with a new toy and some new strings simultaneously. 97 Collector's candy!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Patch
Posted 2009-04-10 9:41 PM (#419471)
Subject: Flirted with a new toy and some new strings simultaneously. 97 Collector's candy!

I finally got around to putting D'Addario Silk and Steels on my Ovation '97 Collector's. I also gave it a bit of a cleaning and oiled the fretboard and bridge. I swear, out of all the Ovation collector's series, this one is easily the most unique. The little parlor has a completely different tone from any other Ovation, and it's simply lovely...almost elegant-sounding. The S&S's add even more warmth to a well balanced tonal spectrum.

So I decided to use it to do a quick test with my new Zoom H4 digital recorder. I tuned the guitar to open-D and did a rough (OK, very rough) cut of Caledonia; one of my favorite Irish tunes. This is an arrangement I came up with years ago in Savannah, GA just so I might sound a little different from every other pub player trolling the town. The recorder is literally just placed on the table in front of me and the guitar; with the mikes placed about 12 inches from the soundhole on the guitar and about 20 inches from the soundhole in my face.

I've uploaded the track to my page on the OFC ning site. Here's a link:

Patch\'s ning page

Please give it a listen. I'm not in very good voice, but you get the idea. I'd love to hear any thoughts about the song. And just to distract you from the quick-record sound of the track, here are some pictures of my 97C taken right after I strung it up with the silk-n-steels.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-04-10 10:19 PM (#419472 - in reply to #419471)
Subject: Re: Flirted with a new toy and some new strings simultaneously. 97 Collector's candy!

That's 'sweet', Patch! The S&Ss sound great. The '97C is certainly unique...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)