The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Would buy from Guitar Center

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

flag72
Posted 2009-04-11 9:44 AM (#419370)
Subject: Would buy from Guitar Center

Hi guy's
one of the member at OFC gave me a link to
Guitar Center a store I no nothing about, would you recommende this store they have an Elite Special S 868 in great condition so i was wondering is it safe
again thank you
Daniel ;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2009-04-11 9:48 AM (#419371 - in reply to #419370)
Subject: Re: Would buy from Guitar Center

In the USA, Guitar Center is the largest chain store for guitars and musical instruments. They are safe to buy from. Prices on used equipment is a bit high, but it may be negotiable. Sticker prices on new equipment tends to be high but it is, or should be, negotiable.
Losov
Posted 2009-04-11 10:05 AM (#419372 - in reply to #419370)

I would buy from GC, sure. I just don't actually want to GO there, with all the kids with black nail polish and wool hats playing "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" out of tune through Marshalls set on 11.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-04-11 10:09 AM (#419373 - in reply to #419370)

Originally posted by Losov:
GO there, with
Ah ha! Another ol' fart...

BTW, that's why I stay out of SmAsh... Well, that and they never have what I'm looking for.
G8r
Posted 2009-04-11 12:13 PM (#419374 - in reply to #419370)

From what I can tell, GC has no corporate standard for rating the condition & pricing of used guitars. It seems to be left up to individuals at each store.

I've seen one store rate a guitar as "very good to excellent" that when I saw it in person had a top crack (thru), a warped neck and excessive fret wear. Another store rated a similar guitar as "fair-to-good" that was in near mint condition - but still way over-priced IMO. Even though it's a big chain I'd still trust their individual descriptions and ratings as much as I would those on eBay.

On the other hand, and this might depend a lot on individual store or district managers, you could have a situation like Patch, where GC is doing the right thing and paying for repairs to the Book Elite that was damaged in transit.
Losov
Posted 2009-04-11 12:21 PM (#419375 - in reply to #419370)

Originally posted by 2ifbyC:
that's why I stay out of SmAsh...
Yeah, well Sam Ash is another story entirely. Their White Plains, NY store honked me off for the final time around 1978. Since, then, not a dime to Sam.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-04-11 12:23 PM (#419376 - in reply to #419370)

Or, the way this group is spread out all over the country, maybe one of us lives near the GC in question and could go check it out for you...
flag72
Posted 2009-04-11 1:36 PM (#419377 - in reply to #419370)

Well thank you
it's store 616 in Ohio 330-665-9010
and the guy ive talk to is Mike Boder
any body live close by
again thank you
Daniel
PS. the guitar im looking at is a Elite
Special natural color S868w case for 450.00 ship
bvince
Posted 2009-04-11 2:04 PM (#419378 - in reply to #419370)

It seem like they would have a store closer to you. They have Guitar Centers just about everywhere up north. I try to stay away for the same reasons mentioned above, mainly, the loud noise and uninformed sales people I have encountered. I'm sure there are exceptions to that in some stores, but I haven't encountered one I'd like to return to yet.
ladylaw
Posted 2009-04-11 2:09 PM (#419379 - in reply to #419370)

I've always had good luck at GC. But then I try to be an informed buyer, and I research.
I've gotten to know the manager and I think he does right by me.

Anita
FlySig
Posted 2009-04-11 2:30 PM (#419380 - in reply to #419370)

Originally posted by Losov:
I just don't actually want to GO there, with all the kids with black nail polish and wool hats playing "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" out of tune through Marshalls set on 11.
Just got back from the local GC and am glad I went. I met a nice young lady who made sure several times that I knew her name. (I'm guessing she has bad eyesight, but she's pretty and she's pleasant). Some guy was playing Zep on a Bogner set on 3, and he sounded quite good. The manager signed off on the free Fender T-shirt coupon for giving the amps a test drive. The only complaint is that somehow I lost one of my favorite picks.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-04-11 2:45 PM (#419381 - in reply to #419370)

I got one of the very last USA 2058T's from Guitar Center online.
Because I did that, GC sent me a $25 gift card!
And I will go back to GC next time they send me another.

No, Really... In the Portland area there a Two (count 'em) Guitar Centers!
But both of them are way out in the suburbs... Which is cool if you live in the suburbs (sticks), I guess.

And yes... They are Loud!
flag72
Posted 2009-04-11 2:52 PM (#419382 - in reply to #419370)

Well Bvince
I live in CANADA montreal to be exacte
the store I i contact'd is in Fairlown OHIO
44333 and the guitar is an Ovation Elite Special
S868 some one offer"d if some one live close by that they could go check it out for me but if nobody
live close i will take a chance and buy it
again than you
Daniel
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-04-11 3:06 PM (#419383 - in reply to #419370)

Guys, what I think we're dealing with is a used guitar, which is why he can't just order one from a GC nearby. Anybody live near Fairlawn Ohio?
nikon4004
Posted 2009-04-11 3:06 PM (#419384 - in reply to #419370)

If that is the GUitar CEnter in North OLmstead, I'm in there a few times. Just picked up a used Celebrity delux red burst and roadruner hard case for what I thought was a very reasonalbe price. 250.00. No complaintsa bout te help, but the shredders that can;'t read the NO SHREDDING sign.......
standing
Posted 2009-04-11 3:40 PM (#419385 - in reply to #419370)

If any member is in the vicinity of that store, and you can go check it out for him, I suggest you continue the conversation by PM, before some lurking non-member buys it out from under him…

In the meantime; flag72, can you ask the store to hold it for you until you get someone to go look at it? I would think they could hold it for at least 24-48 hours? If you can't find anyone to help (it IS Easter weekend) then you will have to trust your intuition and conversation with the salesperson. Ask for extra photos if necessary. Ask what the return policy is. (Even though it would probably be impractical to return it, since you'd probably pay shipping both ways and perhaps some duty bringing it into Canada, just asking the question should encourage them to thoroughly and accurately describe the condition… they don't want to hassle with getting it back any more than you want to return it.) If it makes you more comfortable, tell them you'd like to speak to the manager about it, since it will be shipped internationally.

I'd just hate to see you get all excited about it only to have it disappear before you could act.

Besides, from what I hear, you could always resell it to Trader Jim, he apparently has a monthly quota to meet ;)
kotadawg
Posted 2009-04-11 3:59 PM (#419386 - in reply to #419370)

Shipping is included in the price, but I don't know what their policy is if you return the guitar.

Daniel,did you check out the same model at the Allen Park, Michigan store? It's condition is listed as excellent.
flag72
Posted 2009-04-12 3:23 AM (#419387 - in reply to #419370)

Hi guy's
some time my message a very short and can be missleeding,the guitar is use but it's the model I like s/s bowl and natural color.an OFC member ask if any one could go and visite that store to looke the guitar over but I do not which to baugther any member to do so (if any body live very close O.K. but please no extra miles for me)
but im glade to see OFC member go out of there way to help sure which I could meet some of you maybe some day.
P.S. just back from a country show here in Montreal a very good singer name Irvin Blais play'd and guest wath he play's with an ovation guitar ;)
again thank you for youre help
Daniel
flag72
Posted 2009-04-12 4:26 PM (#419388 - in reply to #419370)

well guy's
ive got it down to 1 guitar at GC in allen park Michigan describe as very good condition the sale's guy name Craig even plug it in and the OP24+ work's fine.if any one live's close to this store could I ask you to take a look at this guitar and P.M. me the guitar is an Elite Special S868.
again thank you to all and happy easter ;)
Daniel
P.S. yes Jack that's the one im down to in allen park
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2009-04-13 9:50 AM (#419389 - in reply to #419370)

...before you lay down the cash, I'd certainly contact our very own Al at Lost Art Vintage .... never can go wrong dealing with Al!
an4340
Posted 2009-04-13 10:51 AM (#419390 - in reply to #419370)

Most GC's have a return policy, so your shipping costs could be considered rental fees.
JeffreyD
Posted 2009-04-13 12:15 PM (#419391 - in reply to #419370)

I bought my W597 some years back from a GC in New York, shipped to me in Oregon. When it arrived, it was not in the "flawless condition" that they described. I photo'd and emailed my concerns. They said "what would you offer us to keep it". I made them a reasonable offer and they accepted it. No further questions asked.

I don't like their store environment very much (mold growing on the strings, loud obnoxious people), but also understand that selling over priced stuff to youngsters who don't know better is their niche, so when I go in, I just accept that, then I leave (usually without buying anything) and order on-line or from their used stuff.

Can't complain so far.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-04-13 12:26 PM (#419392 - in reply to #419370)

I've purchased lots of small stuff from GC over the years, including a replacement 18v power supply for my Cry Baby wah pedal just this past Saturday. My one and only guitar purchase from GC was terrific, a used Gibson archtop from the GC across the street from Boston University during a visit. It was still on "police hold" so I had to wait a few weeks before they could consummate the deal, but they accepted my offer and tossed in a vintage case to boot. Their supply of vintage gear was much better than anything in the Denver GCs.
Dale Lutes
Posted 2009-04-13 5:53 PM (#419393 - in reply to #419370)

I had a poor experience with the local GC. Bought a guitar and wanted a case made by the manufacturer. They didn't have one in stock and loaned me a 3rd party case. So far so good.

Weeks go by. No case. Went in and was told that my original salesman (who had been fired) mislead me and there was no custom fit case from the manufacturer. Surprised them with the exact model number & price from the GC web site. They promised to re-order.

Another week goes by. I gave them an ultimatum: Get me the case within a week or they take back the loaner case and the guitar. I don't care if they have to put it on a personal credit card and order it from their own site with overnight shipping.

I go in on the deadline. Guess what? No case. Walked out with my refund. Since then, I haven't bought anything from GC but a strap and a couple packs of strings. And that was only because my local mom & pop store didn't have a strap I liked.
BT717
Posted 2009-04-13 6:10 PM (#419394 - in reply to #419370)

I have bought from G.C. but not in the last 14-16 months. My experience with them for Stocked items is ok,BUT, I have order 3 things in the past "special" and have had simular experiences as Dale. It's like they have your Money so "you'll get it when you get it" Tuff!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)