The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OFC Community Mojo

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

dobro
Posted 2009-04-11 4:06 PM (#419301)
Subject: OFC Community Mojo

When I praise the OFC community to "outsiders" I'm met with disbelief. So, I launch into stories of glory and heroics.

What's YOUR favorite good karma story, heart tale, or something just damn cool that relates to the OFC community and its members (music, soul, cyber-social, face-to-face, whatever)?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-04-11 4:19 PM (#419302 - in reply to #419301)
Subject: Re: OFC Community Mojo

There are almost too many to recount...
I guess the first get together for me at the Factory Tour in '07...I wasn't sure what to expect as for the past few years I had been around Pastor types and ministry events and not much chance to play the older stuff I used to...well, the jams and camaraderie were great and I felt welcomed immediately...and it only got better from there...The jams w/Bobbo, Cliff, and Temp among others were such fun and watching Temp use a open glass slide for a shot glass was classic (sorry Bro, but it was...lol). This is a great bunch of players, singers, partiers, and lovers of all things Ovation and Adamas...having Beal as part of the group is so cool...and says a lot of who we are as a group. Iffy coming over in the rain at the Smokies Jam to help me get the tent set up late in the evening while my family stayed warm in the truck was just above and beyond. But as I said, its one of many things…I love ya all! Well, in a brotherly sort of way....lol
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-04-11 4:20 PM (#419303 - in reply to #419301)

Off the top of my head is the latest example of this. (But there are so many!) I recently bought one of my favorite guitars of all time from a member. I have never in my life bought a used guitar without being able to hold it in my hands and hear how it sounds, check out the playability, etc. I had NO qualms about buying this guitar sight unseen, from a man I have never met in person. I was not only NOT disappointed in my purchase, but absolutely thrilled.
Slipkid
Posted 2009-04-11 4:22 PM (#419304 - in reply to #419301)

This will be interesting.
I have to give some thought to come up with one representative example.

I will say that of all the other forums I have spent time in, nothing matches the spirit that happens here.
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-04-11 4:31 PM (#419305 - in reply to #419301)

I have bought and sold countless guitars from and to members here, and have not had a bad experience yet. I have met some of the best friends I will ever have here, and some, like Gulfcoast, who I have not met in person but talk to just about every day about guitars and life in general, are so much a part of my life that I consider myself blessed. All the jams I've been to (Southern Jam(s), Zilla fest, G8r bowl(s), Smokeys jam, Seacow Serenade, Amelia for a short stint) have been such a hoot (disregarding a broken bone or two) that I consider ya'll my family. Like I told Al just the other day, this is my home. Show me another site with 99.9% of the people this compatible. I don't think there are any.
stonebobbo
Posted 2009-04-11 4:36 PM (#419306 - in reply to #419301)

Here's the one that may have touched me most.

Guy buys the dream guitar of his life ... a 1537. Plays it for his kids and wife constantly. Life doesn't get any better than this. Baby gets sick. Intensive care level sick. Guy, without hesitation, puts the 1537 up for sale to make sure the baby get the care it needs. A group here raises funds and buys the guitar from the guy for about 2X market. Then the group gives it back the guy to hold in trust for when the kid is old enough to play it on his own. Kid gets better. Guy has guitar to play for wife and kids. Tears all around. Of joy.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-04-11 4:48 PM (#419307 - in reply to #419301)

Or a guy that drives way out of his way to pick up a cherished dream guitar on one coast for a member who lives on the other to be sure it is what was advertized and to make sure it got packed well and delivered right. Being able to trust someone with thousands (in some cases) of dollars without a worry (in this day and age)...this is a special, special group of special, special people...
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-04-11 5:57 PM (#419308 - in reply to #419301)

Just a simple thing...
Man I have never met in person sends me Two guitars and tells me to pick one. :cool:

Like Slipkid just said...
I visit a few guitar forums just for info, but I actually care about the people here.

Good bunch of Old Farts! (don't let it go to y'all's heads)
BT717
Posted 2009-04-11 8:45 PM (#419309 - in reply to #419301)

I am not a person who "trusts" other easily and Yet I have sold 2 guitars and bought 1 guitar to/for members here and shipped them out before I even received a single dollar because I have such an incredible belief and trust in the "souls" of this forum. NEVER in my life have I felt so at ease and trusting of "people" as I have here. OFC should stand for the Ovation Family Club as you all are family I Trust and beleive in.
dobro
Posted 2009-04-11 10:24 PM (#419310 - in reply to #419301)

Off the top:
1) Meeting Jeff Burns, starting a band thanks to OFC.
2) Acquiring THE most awseome axe (Stephen's 1581)
3) Getting to know y'all: still wonder where Clive is at....
G8r
Posted 2009-04-11 10:34 PM (#419311 - in reply to #419301)

I liked the look on John's (the Wabbit) face when we presented him with the LAV Koa at AI last year.

I was also immensely touched by the sheer number and warmth of replies to the little tribute I wrote for my mom when she passed away last December.

Other guitar boards may have good information, but none offer the friendships made here.
dobro
Posted 2009-04-11 10:41 PM (#419312 - in reply to #419301)

True story. Stonebobbo's post alone blew me away.
Waskel
Posted 2009-04-11 11:13 PM (#419313 - in reply to #419301)

Originally posted by G8r:
I liked the look on John's (the Wabbit) face when we presented him with the LAV Koa at AI last year.
I can imagine. That was the single most amazing thing a group of people have ever done for me.

I have one member who takes perverse pleasure in sending me guitars and leaving them with me until I can't bear to send them back.
I've bought and sold guitars with people here I still haven't met. I've been burned once, but it hasn't stopped me from trusting.
The story Bobbo related happened shortly after I found the OFC, and is what made my wife a believer. That and the story of how Paul got his 87C. And on, and on, and...

I belong to a club that surprises me by letting me be a member.
lanaki
Posted 2009-04-12 1:56 AM (#419314 - in reply to #419301)

i remain amazed how many members of this forum contributed towards getting Jerome's prototype #11 refurbished and then some...
the "then some" is a bit o' icing on the cake. stay tuned!
dvd
Posted 2009-04-12 2:09 AM (#419315 - in reply to #419301)

Community Mojo, I like that. Lots of good deeds done around here to be sure. Not to be overlooked, the financial and personal investments Al and Miles have made over many years that make this all possible! Generosity, all around, seems to be what makes this place tick!
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-04-12 7:46 AM (#419316 - in reply to #419301)

and all the people said....AMEN.
twistedlim
Posted 2009-04-12 8:57 AM (#419317 - in reply to #419301)

My Karma started with the welcome I got from my first post. A few days later I got a package of stuff from Slipkid to offically welcome me. I knew this was the place for me. If I am at my computer the OFC screen is up. Just part of my daily routine now. Kindness, compassion, knowledge, and humor...its all Karma if you want to call it that, I prefer to call it blessing.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-04-12 9:03 AM (#419318 - in reply to #419301)

Besides cherished friends and acquaintances...

'Bobbo's story
Jerome's DVD project (What an endeavor of 'love'!)
Jerome's 'gift' from the membership
7,000th member's welcoming package
Countless parts 'donated' to the 'in need of'
Shared joys and sorrows

... plus so much more...
footprints
Posted 2009-04-12 9:45 AM (#419319 - in reply to #419301)

There is no law against the fruit of the Spirit which is love. i think (mojo) is included
well i have not been a member long .
but im touched by the fellowship of caring
members in this club and very thankful.-mike
gulfcoast
Posted 2009-04-12 10:08 AM (#419320 - in reply to #419301)

I never thought i would spend any time posting on any forum. I`ve made some friends that i plan to meet in person and look forward to getting to know you guys better. This is a rare place in the fact that i have also sold something and sent it out before i recevied payment, i never thought twice about it. I had a bump in the road a while back and got a little time out and to tell the truth i`m glad it happened. It gave me a chance to get to know Al better and to look at things from his point of view. I found him to be open, fair and honest. I hope to get to hang with Al and the rest of you at one of the jams. I might even host one myself. Well maybe not , nobody wants to come to Mississippi.
G8r
Posted 2009-04-12 10:48 AM (#419321 - in reply to #419301)

Originally posted by gulfcoast:
I might even host one myself. Well maybe not , nobody wants to come to Mississippi.
You'd have at least one - me :D
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-04-12 11:20 AM (#419322 - in reply to #419301)

Originally posted by G8r:
You'd have at least one - me
I could probably be 'third fiddle'!
Guitarzannie
Posted 2009-04-12 3:07 PM (#419323 - in reply to #419301)

You guys and gals are great. I'm a member of four guitar forums, but only two feel like home to me.

I lurked for a long time (at least over a year) before I joined. I decided to join for several reasons (not in any order):

1. You love Ovations and aren't afraid to say it (and show your beautiful guitars). I can have a weird obsesion with O's and no one seems to mind.

2. Since I know that I'll end up with at least one Ovation in my arsenal, it makes sense to be here. Asking about an O on another forum, especially a "wood box only" forum is like asking a mechanic if he knows anything about operating on your toe!

3. I like the "quirkiness" of humor the forum. I don't always get the "in-jokes", but don't worry, I'll learn!

3. There seems to be a lot of get togethers where you can actually meet other forum members.

4. You have respect for other guitars, and there isn't much bashing of other kinds of guitars (well, maybe Taylor :D )

5. Most of you here seem to know who Maury Muhliesen was. On some other forums, if you say his name, you would get this response: "who?"

Michelle
Weaser P
Posted 2009-04-12 3:25 PM (#419324 - in reply to #419301)

Glad you (and a lot of the new members) are enjoying the time here, Michelle. New blood is critical to keep feeding the monster.

There's little question that, while we have may not cornered the market with Ovations and Adamas's (just yet), we've got "quirky humor" down to a science!
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-04-12 3:58 PM (#419325 - in reply to #419301)

Speaking of "quirky humor", where the hell is Cliff?

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)