The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1973 Legend 1117-4 arrives…

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

standing
Posted 2009-04-15 3:55 AM (#418915)
Subject: 1973 Legend 1117-4 arrives…

On the right is a 1973 1117 Legend that I just received. On the left is my trusty 1979 1112 Custom Balladeer. (I'm the original owner of that one…)

I have not even as much as wiped off the 1117 yet, but I will clean it up soon, just thought I'd post some pics and ask a few questions while I'm at it:

I just HAD to list all the differences in response to the inevitable SWMBO comment; "But they look exactly the same, why do you need two of them?":

My 1112 has: a rougher texture black bowl with a "roughened" patch on the lower "side" to prevent slipping on your knee, a thicker heel, a shallower head angle, chrome tuners, 2-piece neck, Kaman Bar, sitka spruce A, oval paper label, plain (unpainted) wood bracing with "modified x-bracing."

This 1117 has: a smoother texture black bowl, narrower heel, greater head angle, gold tuners, 5 piece neck, truss rod/cover, sitka spruce AAA, oval metal label, black paint on bracing areas near sound hole, "VT-11 bracing" (with extra piece indicated in red here):

I was told it had; "some finish cracks, a 'scratch' on the headstock, dings, nicks, some fret wear, minor fingerboard scratches that appear to be from a partial fret-replacement, etc. and a brown hard-shell Ovation case with a small area covered by duct tape, and 'we don't know what's under that tape.'"

Upon arrival, and looking very closely, I can see that a large corner of the right "ear" has been glued back on (nicely done, almost invisible) and that repair is aligned perfectly with where the case damage is located when it contains the guitar. I was not pleased that the broken head repair was not mentioned…

… but I am pleased with the sound, and overall appearance, even with the stale strings that are on it (for a few more minutes… ;) ) There is some pretty-advanced fret wear, but every note plays cleanly and effortlessly, so a fret job can be delayed for a little while. It has a deeper and more resonant sound than the 1112, but the 1112 currently has slightly lighter strings than the 1117… I was aware that the 1117's had a steeper head angle, it's a LOT steeper than the 1112…

Any guess what the extra bracing inside might be for? If it was to support a soundboard crack repair, there is NO visible repair on the top, nor inside, other than the extra bracing. (I know some of you have strong opinions about the efficacy of different bracing patterns on these old ones, but it is what it is…)

There is one 2-3" finish "aging line" ;) on the soundboard along the high side of the neck, with a few other very tiny finish cracks in that area, the bridge area looks flat, and has no cracks, just a couple of tiny dings. There is a small piece missing from the rosette, but it is under the bottom of the neck and you would never see it without looking with a bright light.

Was it ever standard to spray black paint on the bracing to make it less visible around the sound hole? I have never had this type of truss rod on an Ovation, but it looks to me like something might have been over-tightened, changed or possibly even the neck was replaced, but again, if so, it was really well done, you would never know from the outside. A mirror-photo of the inside of the sound box at the neck block shows that it looks to have had something done to it, there is a tell-tale area where a washer may have been. A bolt and/or the end of the truss rod are visible deeply sunken into the wood block there. Does that seem normal? Here's the pic:

This is the one I thought I was going to cut holes in and add a pickup and iDea pre-amp. I may or may not, since, now that it is here, and in pretty good shape, the concept of cutting into this old deep bowl is a little less appealing.

I'm going to play it for a while first. It sure has a different sound than my (relatively) similar Balladeer. Regardless of whether I decide to just refurb it and keep it acoustic… I just can't bring myself to even consider cutting into my old Balladeer instead, besides, that one is still under warranty… ;)

There are a few more photos on my NING page…
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BT717
Posted 2009-04-15 5:14 AM (#418916 - in reply to #418915)
Subject: Re: 1973 Legend 1117-4 arrives…

Standing while it appears you have a decent guitar there in the 1117 and you a "pleased" with it, your experience is just another reason to buy off the "for sale" site here. You are pretty much assured that you will get exactly as advertised and in some cases more!! If you are happy, then I'm happy for ya!!
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-04-15 5:51 AM (#418917 - in reply to #418915)

That "steeper head angle" is one of the things Ovation should have never gotten away from. It increases the break angle on the nut, and really does sound better. I think they had an issue with headstocks breaking at the neck, so they went with a smaller angle. Bad mistake IMHO.
marenostrum
Posted 2009-04-15 7:23 AM (#418918 - in reply to #418915)

Congrats on your new gear.
I have also recently got from Damon a 1117. Early model then yours. At the moment she is at custom in Italy. Do hope she'll be here by the end of this week. My first VT11 or VT8 modified and I'm curious to compare it side by side with Ovation X, scalopped X and A kind of bracing......
Riccardo
standing
Posted 2009-04-15 10:29 AM (#418919 - in reply to #418915)

Originally posted by BT717:
Standing while it appears you have a decent guitar there in the 1117 and you a "pleased" with it, your experience is just another reason to buy off the "for sale" site here. You are pretty much assured that you will get exactly as advertised and in some cases more!! If you are happy, then I'm happy for ya!!
BT717; I completely agree, first choice should always be to buy/sell from/to another member.

However, sometimes you stumble on one running loose out in the wild that just looks at you with that big, sad, bowl and you can imagine it saying; "I need a good home." And you just know that, given a little TLC, it has the potential to be a contributing member of our little society here… so how could I resist? ;)

I wasn't necessarily looking for one of these, or else I would have posted a WTB message in the "for sale" section. I just stumbled on it and suddenly my vision got blurry and I slipped into a deep GAS trance… (maybe it was a deep-bowl trance?) only to awaken and find I had another guitar… ;)

…Plus, I enjoy working on fixer-uppers, and I need to sharpen my skills so I can pass the BFLG exam…
dobro
Posted 2009-04-20 2:42 AM (#418920 - in reply to #418915)

A comrade in arms... fantastic! I hope you like yours as much as I like mine!
standing
Posted 2009-04-20 1:27 PM (#418921 - in reply to #418915)

Originally posted by dobro:
A comrade in arms... fantastic! I hope you like yours as much as I like mine!
I like it a little too much, and more than I expected… My intention when I purchased it was to perform surgery and add an under-saddle pickup and an iDea pre-amp to it. Now that I have played it, I'm not sure I want to cut holes in it. It has such a nice rich tone, I hate to risk either botching the work or diminishing the sound by operating on it…
Slipkid
Posted 2009-04-20 2:05 PM (#418922 - in reply to #418915)

Probably a wise choice.
When I sent in my '70 Balladeer for a neck re-set I brought up the idea of adding electronics.
Kim said... "Don't do it". No reasons given... just "Don't do it." That was all I needed to hear. Case closed.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-04-20 2:22 PM (#418923 - in reply to #418915)

Everybody expects Ovations to have electronics. When I had my old Legend rebuilt, the question from the factory was "what kind of electronics do you want installed?" I had them make it an acoustic only. I was going for tone.....
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2009-04-20 2:34 PM (#418924 - in reply to #418915)

I've had the pleasure of playing Moody's revamped Legend. All I can say is ... SAWEET!
dobro
Posted 2009-04-20 8:37 PM (#418925 - in reply to #418915)

Standing:

Let me share my original inspiration with you: John McLaughlin's all-acoustic mic'd Ovation session called MY GOAL\'S BEYOND.

It's basically the same axe, nicely played and recorded. Check it out. When I hear this in 1970 it changed my life. I still play the early 70s 1117 on a daily basis! IMHO this record captures the dark beauty of the 1117 (or Balladeer precursor) better than anything since.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)