The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Help identifying a guitar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

lue42
Posted 2009-04-20 2:47 PM (#418187)
Subject: Help identifying a guitar

Can you guys help by telling me where to look, or just by the pictures what model this is?

Photobucket
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2009-04-20 2:51 PM (#418188 - in reply to #418187)
Subject: Re: Help identifying a guitar

Welcome lue42. The pictured guitar is a Pac rim-made super-shallow bowl Celebrity. If it's older than a couple of years it's likely Korean, if new may be Korean or Chinese. There should be a label inside visible thru the bass-side sound holes that identifies the model number.

G8r
Posted 2009-04-20 3:34 PM (#418189 - in reply to #418187)

A slight bit of digging yields this on the Ovation site . In all likelihood it's a CC48 as that's the only super-shallow bowl Celebrity listed. I'm going by the color of the case lining in saying it's a super-shallow bowl, and assuming that's the right case for it.
lue42
Posted 2009-04-20 3:48 PM (#418190 - in reply to #418187)

What are the distinguishing features that tell you it is a celebrity... I just bought this on a guys word that it is an Ovation Elite Standard... and he is not budging that it is not...
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-04-20 3:51 PM (#418191 - in reply to #418187)

The end of the fingerboard screams Celeb! Take a look at the Ovation website that g8r posted as a link. Look at the guitars. Almost all the Celebs have that fingerboard. Elites are different.....
G8r
Posted 2009-04-20 3:59 PM (#418192 - in reply to #418187)

Moody's absolutely right - the end of the fingerboard is the defining giveaway. Those are exclusive to Celebrity models. Here are two of my Elites - notice the shape of the fretboard end:

If there's no label pasted in the bowl & visible thru the bass-side soundholes I would start to suspect that the seller is trying to run a scam, knowing full well that it's not an Elite.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-04-20 3:59 PM (#418193 - in reply to #418187)

The two bridge bolts are another hint, but the end of the fretboard is the key to it being a Celebrity.
Auriemma
Posted 2009-04-20 4:14 PM (#418194 - in reply to #418187)

For comparison, here is my CC257 - Celeb Dlx
lue42
Posted 2009-04-20 4:26 PM (#418195 - in reply to #418187)

It may be a scam, but I don't think it is this seller... it was the one that sold it to him. Unfortunately, he thinks it is an elite, but it is obviously not one. I really hope he is willing to take it back. He has a lot of others interested, and if they believe it is a true elite, best of luck... however... I don't think it is.

Here I am, living on a strict budget due to a million expenses with my autistic kid, and finally find a dream Ovation that I have always wanted. My wife and I agree that we can budget it in and look what happens.

Worst case... is a Celebrity CC257 (which it looks exactly like) worth anything around $400 (with the hard case)?
G8r
Posted 2009-04-20 4:43 PM (#418196 - in reply to #418187)

The difference between a CS257, which is a super-shallow bowl that's no longer made, and a CC48 are the fret markers on the 12th fret. The CC48 has dots on the the 12th fret while the CS257 has diamonds.

Current retail on a CC48 is about $600, so I'd think a new one would go for ~$500 at someplace like Guitar Center. The CS247 when new probably had a street price of ~$600, so $300-400 wouldn't be out of line if it's in mint condition.

Don't feel badly, 'tho. If this guitar feels and sounds great to you then that's all that matters. Celebs are good guitars and a great value for the money.
lue42
Posted 2009-04-20 4:53 PM (#418197 - in reply to #418187)

It has the two diamonds with the circle in the middle, so it is probably a 257. Yeah, I am happy with it... it is still a good deal... not as good a deal, but still not too bad a buy.
FlySig
Posted 2009-04-20 5:36 PM (#418198 - in reply to #418187)

Perhaps the seller would refund you $100 for the error in identification? That would make it a better buy for you, if you like the guitar enough to keep it.
lue42
Posted 2009-04-20 8:31 PM (#418199 - in reply to #418187)

Nope... seller absolutely refuses to believe that it is not an Elite... for some unknown reason, that is the end of it. He is actually accusing me of having cold feet on the purchase and making up lies to get out of the sale.

Regardless... it is a great guitar and I am happy to have it. I make have paid pretty much what it is worth, maybe a little bit more, but I don't think in the end that I got ripped off.

I am going to try to sell it though to see if I can get the money, or almost all of it back. I notice that CS257's are going for around $400 around here.

Thanks everyone.

Lesson learned... if it is too good to be true... I jumped on the 'deal' since there were a line up of emails behind mine and didn't research it enough. Oh well.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-04-20 8:52 PM (#418200 - in reply to #418187)

Just tell him to give you your money back...

Tell him this is an Old Elite... And the blue one is a Celebrity...

See bridge, See fretboard.
Because of where the sticker is located, they don't just fall-off on there own.
Someone took it out to be deceptive.
If he lives near you, leave a note on the front seat of his car... "I was inside your car!"
Then ask for you money back again...
[Leave another note taped to his engine and under his gas cap lid! :eek: :p ]
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2009-04-20 9:06 PM (#418201 - in reply to #418187)

The Celebrity also doesn't have the original patented pickup or the laminated 5 piece neck.
BT717
Posted 2009-04-21 7:12 AM (#418202 - in reply to #418187)

What ever happened to looking at the label inside the guitar??? Did I miss something? Was the label removed?? It should say Celebrity right on the thing!!! I don't think lue42 ever said the label was missing.
Auriemma
Posted 2009-04-21 8:28 AM (#418203 - in reply to #418187)

In the pic shown above, the holes are dark... too dark for me, almost like they were edited black to hide the label. Its either that or the label was removed. Mine you can clearly see the label.

Lue, return the guitar, get a full refund. It is a Celebrity, not an Elite. Notify ebay that the seller misrepresented the item. Thats a no-no. The seller is either clueless or a scammer. You can find a better guitar, here, on ebay, or on craigslist.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-04-21 9:29 AM (#418204 - in reply to #418187)

Originally posted by auriemma:
In the pic shown above, the holes are dark... too dark for me, almost like they were edited black to hide the label. Its either that or the label was removed. Mine you can clearly see the label.
Those are stock Ovation website photos and yes they always photoshop out the label. It's ovations own way of admitting how ugly it is to see the label through the soundhole.
Slipkid
Posted 2009-04-21 9:34 AM (#418205 - in reply to #418187)

Ovation labels...
Don't get me started.
I will say that they are better now than they were before.

lue42... I hope it works out for you.
Maybe you could send the seller a link to this thread???
Then again... he might not want to see it.
G8r
Posted 2009-04-21 9:44 AM (#418206 - in reply to #418187)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:
Those are stock Ovation website photos and yes they always photoshop out the label.
Toby, I think Joe was referring to the picture of the actual guitar, way up at the top of this thread. There's no label visible where there clearly should be one. That's why I said I'd start to suspect a deliberate misrepresentation if the label was missing.

lue42, if you bought this guitar in a private sale you don't have much recourse if the seller refuses to work with you - and assuming you want to work something out. If you bought it on eBay, and especially if you paid with PayPal, you can file a complaint as "Item significantly not as described." In the complaint you can cite the URL for this thread, as well as pictures and descriptions from Ovation's official website, as proof that the guitar was misrepresented. You'd also want to include any written communications with the seller, particularly ones where the seller refuses to acknowledge a mistake. I and others have had positive results with this process.

Of course, as I said, if you're happy with the guitar then that's the only important thing. If so, enjoy it. And stick around, this is a good group of people - tho we might talk you into spending more money ;)
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-04-21 11:13 AM (#418207 - in reply to #418187)

Oh THAT label. Yeah, either removed or photoshopped. either way looks better without it.
lue42
Posted 2009-04-21 12:23 PM (#418208 - in reply to #418187)

Unfortunately, it was a private sale, in person and not via Ebay.

I have emailed this link to the seller, and he refuses to acknowledge it.

The photo above (and the other photo's listed by my father in the "blog" area of this site are not edited- they are ones my father took, not the seller.

Here is what I think... the seller bought the guitar thinking it was a 6868 because that is what he was told. He sold it still believing it was a 6868. Now, even with all the evidence, he refuses to take it back. Next to doing small claims court, I am out of luck on this one. It is a lesson learned, buyer beware situation. Regardless of how unethical this seller is, part of the blame falls in my hands.

So, I now own a CS257, which I paid $400 for. It is in very good condition and I like it. It is more than I should have paid, but not enough to consider myself "getting ripped off".

I am going to try to resell it, listed for what it actually is for as close to $400 as I can get. I notice other CS257's in my area have gone for around that. Even if I lose a little money, I am okay with it. If I can't sell it, or would end up losing too much money, I will still be happy with it.

Thank you again for all your help... unfortunately, that is all there is to this story. As far as I am concerned, the seller is an unethical liar, and by not taking it back he is saying a lot about the type of person he is. Whether he meant to misrepresent it or not, he should take it back. I do believe in karma, and he will get his just dues in time.

I did have my eye on another Ovation listed on Ebay before this one came along. There has been a repair on the bridge, but it seems like a good deal if I could get it for near Starting bid (and local pickup). However... with all this, I am tainted on buying another guitar at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190300344489&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.ca%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D190300344489%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categorie s%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I currently own:
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary (and little 15w amp)
Yamaha G55-a classical
Fender DG-16 acoustic
and now...
Ovation CS257

Due to my changing interests (almost 100% learning fingerpicking now), I am considering dumping all of the guitars and getting a wider neck acoustic and focusing on fingerpicking. If I sell everything, I think I could end up with around $1200-1400. I think I could find a nice guitar and acoustic amp for that price (on the used market). The Schecter is an amazing, beautiful guitar, and I hate to get rid of it, but I don't play it and don't have the money to have a 'collection' of instruments that don't get played.
lue42
Posted 2009-04-21 12:36 PM (#418209 - in reply to #418187)

G8r
Posted 2009-04-21 1:08 PM (#418210 - in reply to #418187)

If you follow the link within the description it'll take you to a thread right here on the OFC where the seller - Steve, OFC member name NovaScotian - posted pictures of the repair process. It looks like he did a more than adequate job.

That would be a really fine guitar (Engleman spruce top), but I believe it's a deep bowl. Would be much better volume and tone than your CS257, but would feel quite a bit different. Even at the BIN that's a bargain, IMO.
Waskel
Posted 2009-04-21 2:17 PM (#418211 - in reply to #418187)

I think it's a steal at that price. If I didn't already have more guitars than hangers (or walls, for that matter) I'd snap it up. I'd bet it has great tone, and it's only going to get better with playing.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)