The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Celebrity for my sweetie?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

'O'Well
Posted 2009-04-23 1:12 AM (#417995)
Subject: Celebrity for my sweetie?

When I went through my divorce several years ago I gave myself an emancipation gift, a brand new 1983 Collector's Series Ovation, it just jumped in my arms and it wouldn't let me go. Well now, many years later, my sweetie has fallen in love with it too and I want to buy her her own Ovation. Money is a little tight though, so it will probably have to be one of the Celebrity models, but which one? We live on the Oregon coast about a hundred miles from a dealer, so the purchase will be an online purchase.

A couple of questions: I know that with a standard all-wood acoustic, it is stressed to get a solid top instead of a laminated top, so that the instrument can age and the sound will improve with this aging, is this as true for an Ovation? Also, we probably will choose a solid spruce top, but I'm curious about the quilted maple tops? Seems to me that a maple top, being a harder wood, wouldn't vibrate as well as spruce, can someone enlighten me on this? How do the two woods compare in output, same question for solid top vs. laminated top?

Thanks!

Ray
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-04-23 1:41 AM (#417996 - in reply to #417995)
Subject: Re: Celebrity for my sweetie?

I'll jump in first and say that everyone will support the idea of a solid top over a laminate (unless that laminate involves two bits of carbon fibre around a piece of spruce, in which case it carries a premium price).

Someone will chirp in with the facts about the quilted maple tops, but I thought they were laminated, not solid. Also, another option is getting a second hand USA Ovation. People on this board are usually very honest in their descriptions of what they are selling and the top will be pre-opened up for you.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-04-23 1:56 AM (#417997 - in reply to #417995)

If you are going for Used...
You can get a used USA Ovation for the price that alot of these Celebrity's are going for.
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-04-23 2:40 AM (#417998 - in reply to #417995)

However, Ovation are claiming that the tuners on the burled maple celebrity have divine ability.
stonebobbo
Posted 2009-04-23 4:06 AM (#417999 - in reply to #417995)

Hi Ray. My opinion (worth exactly what you paid for it) is to find an Ultra 2171. You ought to be able to find one on eBay for under $400 if you're patient. Solid top, well made, great guitar for the money. I have one and it's the real deal. Maple tops are laminates - definitely more for show than for go.

And just to pick a nit, the Adamas tops have a birch layer, not spruce. Or at least they used to.
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-04-23 5:45 AM (#418000 - in reply to #417995)

Originally posted by TAFKAR:
However, Ovation are claiming that the tuners on the burled maple celebrity have divine ability.
God,..er, good eye Richard. Typical of their website.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-04-23 10:32 AM (#418001 - in reply to #417995)

I agree with Bobbo (except I liked Simon and Garfunkel). That Ultra sounds and looks very good and has a solid top.
One of my daughters has a quilted maple Celeb. It is definitely laminated and still sounds stiff after many years. Other daughter has an 83 Collector's. It sounds great, even though it's a shallow bowl. You should be able to find another one for around $500, or if you like the sound, go for a used shallow bowl Balladeer or Legend.
'O'Well
Posted 2009-04-25 2:20 PM (#418002 - in reply to #417995)

So, would I/we be totally disappointed with a solid-top celebrity? I know that I would be getting a better guitar by shopping for a used USA-made Ovation, but I would like for my girlfriend to get a little bling and I know the good feeling you have with a brand new instrument in your hands, something kind of magical I guess, sort of a bonding thing! :)
nikon4004
Posted 2009-04-25 3:40 PM (#418003 - in reply to #417995)

FOr what it's worth. I just picked up a used Celebrity Deluxe RRBY, at Guitar center, ( 6mo old) they had the original repeipt in the case. 249.00 wiht the psedded gig bag(I bought a road runner hard case for better protection) and for abo0ut 350.00 I feel I got a good sounding playable guitar. RIght now, the haev a Celebrity Deluxe Limited Edition ( Whats this all about) used, for 259.00 without the case. Played it (this is a solid timeas opoed to the laminted top on my RRBY) and can't hear a difference, Bes tthing to do is gt to a guitar stor where you can sit and play a few and compare for your self. Laminated or solid, if you liks the sound, thats the one for yo.

Steve

Matrix acoustic/electric 12 sting
Celebrity Deluxw RRBY
guitarwannabee
Posted 2009-04-25 6:08 PM (#418004 - in reply to #417995)

:confused: :eek: could jason be back under another alias ? :eek: :confused: GWB
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-04-25 6:14 PM (#418005 - in reply to #417995)

no, jason liked Adamas.
Waskel
Posted 2009-04-25 6:21 PM (#418006 - in reply to #417995)

...other people's...
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-04-25 6:24 PM (#418007 - in reply to #417995)

Back to the subject-- Yes, a USA Ovation is nicer than a Celebrity. But I have had some nice sounding Celebrity's with cool looking laminated tops. Unless you are gonna do a side-by-side comparison with a similar USO they are all good... None of them sound like Total Crap or nobody would be buying them. Also if you are gonna plug them in they all sound good.
If you can find an Ultra 2171 (center hole) or 2178 (epaulet) I would look into that. There may be some Old-Stock floating around.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)