The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
intonation problem on Ovation Elite

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

gravydb
Posted 2009-04-27 12:28 PM (#417554)
Subject: intonation problem on Ovation Elite

Hello all.
I am the original owner of this '89 Ovation Elite 1868. It is fabulous, and has been babied. But I recently noticed an intonation issue. It's the G string. Fretted notes are flat. It's fine down toward the nut, but as you go higher up the neck, the variance gets worse. By the 9th fret it sounds pretty bad - very obvious even to someone without decent pitch. All the other strings are fine.

The bridge is not lifting. There is no distortion in the guitar's top. I use light guage strings (.011), which is all I've used for the past 20 yrs. I mention this because a frequent solution is "use heavier strings". I do not want to use heavier strings.

I wish I knew of a way to adjust the intonation, but I can't see how to do it. The saddle itself is in pretty good shape... there are some minor grooves worn in, from the strings. I'm not opposed to trying a new saddle, but I'm not sure if it will help.

In case it matters, I use 1 shim under the saddle. I tried 2 once but the action was too high. But that was long before this intonation problem began.

Let me know if you need more info. I am grateful for your help. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GaryB
Posted 2009-04-27 1:12 PM (#417555 - in reply to #417554)
Subject: Re: intonation problem on Ovation Elite

Fret wear can cause intonation problems. You may just need to have the frets dressed.
dcwill
Posted 2009-04-28 6:58 PM (#417556 - in reply to #417554)
Subject: Re: intonation problem on Ovation Elite

If you haven't recently altered the nut or saddle and this is something that's just being noticed of late, chances are it's nothing more than a defective string. Sometimes, the windings are slightly inconsistent along the length of the string or there's a defect somewhere which results in intonation problems. Slap on a new G string (on the guitar, not yourself) and let us know if that makes a difference.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)