The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
June 20th event Car pool

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

PEZ
Posted 2009-04-27 1:02 PM (#417532)
Subject: June 20th event Car pool

Anyone leaving from Greater Hartford CT??
I was hoping maybe to split gas.
I have 20 yo car with no AC.
Hoping to hitch a ride.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mitchrx
Posted 2009-04-27 1:05 PM (#417533 - in reply to #417532)
Subject: Re: June 20th event Car pool

Originally posted by PEZ:
I have 20 yo car with no AC.
But lot of nice guitars! :D ;)
Mitchrx
Posted 2009-04-27 1:08 PM (#417534 - in reply to #417532)

I have 20 yo car with no AC
But lots of nice guitars! :rolleyes: :D ;)
BT717
Posted 2009-04-27 1:51 PM (#417535 - in reply to #417532)

PEZ, If I didn't allready have a gig Saturday the 20th,I'd be going. Another time??
PEZ
Posted 2009-04-27 4:20 PM (#417536 - in reply to #417532)

Originally posted by Mitchrx:
I have 20 yo car with no AC
But lots of nice guitars! :rolleyes: :D ;)
In many I am blessed.
I driving the car I wanted when I was a senior in HS for last 18 years. 3rd Gen F Body came out in

Is 1988 Camero
73k on a mostly Edlebrock V-8
Still puts a smile on my face at times after all these years.

Lots of nice guitars too
LOL
PEZ
Posted 2009-04-27 4:21 PM (#417537 - in reply to #417532)

Originally posted by BT717:
PEZ, If I didn't allready have a gig Saturday the 20th,I'd be going. Another time??
Thats Kool
Maybe hit another open mic or something soon
Joe Rotax
Posted 2009-04-27 8:57 PM (#417538 - in reply to #417532)

In many I am blessed.
I driving the car I wanted when I was a senior in HS for last 18 years. 3rd Gen F Body came out in

Is 1988 Camero
73k on a mostly Edlebrock V-8
Still puts a smile on my face at times after all these years.
A couple of pics of my 83TA. Has a ZZ4 crate motor and a bunch of other stuff. I took the AC out of it years ago to get some weight off the front end:

Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-04-27 9:54 PM (#417539 - in reply to #417532)

I'm partial to the one in front of you. You running autocross or is it at a racetrack?
Joe Rotax
Posted 2009-04-27 10:46 PM (#417540 - in reply to #417532)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
I'm partial to the one in front of you. You running autocross or is it at a racetrack?
Yeah, the 911 is nice; it runs in a vintage class. That picture was taken at a lap day on Mosport International Raceway which is my home track.

We have 5 decent tracks w/in easy distance of Toronto and there are a lot of open lap days throughout the summer. Cost for a lap day at MIR is around $300 on average; usually there are two run groups: fast & slow and prior racing experience is required for both.

The other picture was taken at an autocross event. I tried autocross once or twice but found it very boring compared to running the car on a road course.

Here's a shot of the corner 2 and 3 complex at Mosport. The track is very big and accordingly there is very little sensation of speed even with the motor redlined at 140 mph on the straight; however, some of the corners are downhill off camber so it's a bit like threading a needle in a large car like mine which doesn't want to change directions suddenly.

Chasing my friend's car through corner 3 near the Honda sign visible in the above picture:

PEZ
Posted 2009-04-27 11:31 PM (#417541 - in reply to #417532)

Great looking car!!
350 350 its gotta move.
Is it street legal???????

Mine doesn't look good
I don't care

Its 305 with dual air intacks, 4 bbl rochester quada jet, trick flow heads (not supposed to be anything smaller than 327) Roller valves everything else edlebrock, dynamax exhaust Hurst 700 R-4 tranny
Suspensiuon tweeked too.

Its orginally an 85 but it hit the front and back
in month, the body was unfixable so had the guts taken put in the 88 body.

I took the ac out to reduce engine drag.

I had a frat brother test consumer reports test equipiment 0 to 60 5.1 sec 12.9 1/4 mile
Top speed 171 mph
That was with a pro driver.
I couldn't get anything near that,

I did burry the 140 mph speedometer once.
It just cruising.

I really don't notice how fast it is anymore.
Joe Rotax
Posted 2009-04-28 1:23 AM (#417542 - in reply to #417532)

... I really don't notice how fast it is anymore.
This is some of the stuff that’s done to it; not a lot really but the handling is very comfortable on the long fast tracks - it understeers a bit on short tight tracks so I have to kick it around some on those but I’d rather have the high speed stability through the fast sweepers for obvious reasons and I just got lucky with that on the spring, shock and sway bar combo - some of the thirdgens are pretty tail happy and I think that’s because people think big bars are better. More spring and shock needs less bar IMO.

1983 WS6 TA, ZZ4 355HP/400TQ, Demon 650 DP, K&N Highflow, J65 brakes, 3:23 axle, Hedman Headers, Hooker Cat-Back and Cutout, Eibach Prokit, 32/21 sway bars, Koni Yellows, Spohn LCAs & Relocation Brackets, Spohn SFCs, BMR Adj. Panhard, GW Steering Brace, SLP Thirdgen Firehawk Rims, KDW 275/40/17s, Poly Bushings, Earl’s braided brake lines. Neg. 1.5 camber, 0 toe and Neg. 4 caster.

Not exactly street legal..lol. The ZZ4 heads have no EGR passages - they were external on the Vettes.

I don’t care about looks either, once I get in the car it’s all about the grin on my face, the view through the windshield and how the car feels.

The 305 is a nice motor but the seals went on mine and it was blowing smoke all over the place so I had to swap it out because I had people telling me that they thought I’d blown up in front of them and I could see the track marshals looking at the car with binoculars because they thought it was on fire..lol

The ZZ4 makes a nice number but I should have put something bigger in there when I was doing it because, like you say, you get used to the speed. At 6000 rpm it’s doing 140 and has lots more to go; I could change the rear ratio to get more top end but then it would lose out of the corners and on the short straights - it’s a balance and the top end gain isn’t all that much compared to the low end loss so I’ll probably keep the 3.23 although that axle is now shot because it couldn’t handle the torque from ZZ4. I guess to put it in 1/4 mile terms a ZZ4 should be about mid 12s in a thirdgen but I don’t think mine would quite make it as the Hawk rims are heavy and the suspension is too stiff to make the weight transition that drag cars need.

Bottom line though is that I should have put the mod money into a used race car and kept this one closer to stock. As it is right now it’s a PIA to drive on the street so it just gets driven to the track and back. For sentimental reasons I can’t bring myself to gut it. The other thing too is that the car is not really safe for what I’m doing with it - we had a few wrecks so most of my friends have switched over to full race prepped cars - caged and gutted etcetera. You can’t half ass your road car into a race car because it ends up being no good for either application.

Thirdgens are great cars IMO; parts are cheap and there’s nothing on them that you can’t fix in your driveway. You probably already know about www.thirdgen.org. It’s a good source of information although not as good as it was years ago but OK as long as you’re careful about who you listen to.

Wet day at the track = usual Mosport weather. The AMX was not fast but it's owner had it since high school.

Waiting to go out in the rain - no heroics and lets just keep her off the walls..lol

Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-04-28 10:22 AM (#417543 - in reply to #417532)

Now you show my other dream car--an AMX. My first car was a Javelin.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)