The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
EXPERT TESTIMONY

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

dobro
Posted 2009-05-04 10:23 AM (#417048)
Subject: EXPERT TESTIMONY

Strong testimony about an all-acoustic Ovation record made in 1969/70 (From an interview with John McLaughlin; thanks to Numbfingers for the link). JM makes the comparison between recording on his first axe--Balladeer--and pianist seeking acoustic and lyrical beauty in doing a solo recording on acoustic piano (as opposed to a synth):

Q: "MY GOAL\'S BEYOND" had you playing an Ovation?

JM: That was the best acoustic I could find. I never liked a Martin sound; it's great, but it was a folk guitar. And liked the Hummingbird, but what I liked about the Ovation was its projection. Plus, you ever throw an Ovation on the ground? It bounces back up. It's really hard to break. But that record ... in a way, it's the difference between synthesizer and piano. You hear recordings of acoustic piano, and there's a sonority that goes with beautiful music, or more lyrical music, anyway.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dobro
Posted 2009-05-04 6:05 PM (#417049 - in reply to #417048)
Subject: Re: EXPERT TESTIMONY

Just learned this from Moody. So there was a relationship with Ovation for well over a decade!

Moody p.i. wrote
McLaughlin never played with a 1773LX. That guitar only came out in the last 4 years. He played a full bodied Ovation Classical, a 1613, if my memory is correct. I don't remember ever seeing him with a different Ovation nylon string.......
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-05-04 6:36 PM (#417050 - in reply to #417048)

Dob, he played Ovation steel strings as well....
dobro
Posted 2009-05-04 7:17 PM (#417051 - in reply to #417048)

That is what this post is about: The link is to "My Goal's Beyond"--my starting point on guitar and Ovation. It is a Balladeer, all-acoustic, beautifully recorded. He is responding to a question about this album and his steel-string. I just continued into nylon territory.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)