The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Saw John Hammond last night

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

birddog
Posted 2009-05-04 12:55 PM (#417039)
Subject: Saw John Hammond last night

Went to a great show last night at a nice little club in Ann Arbor.
John was great, except for about his 3rd song he was playing a tune thats on his guitar/harp DVD in the key of B and he forgot to change harps. The minute he hit the first note on the harp out came "Ah, wrong harp" but he pulled it off magnificently and the rest went off without a hitch and did nothing but build up steam.

First up was a guy I wasn't real familiar with but has been compared to Keb Mo and I think thats a pretty fair assesment. His name is Eric Bibb. Man what a finger picker, guitarist and great vocalist. My wife really liked him and of course I had to buy a CD. I will go see him again. He drew the loudest applause of the evening.

Great little club in A2 called "The Ark" perfectly suited for venues like this. Imagine my surprise when I went up to buy a drink and found out I could only buy non-alcoholic unless I bought a membership. Memberships are $5,$20 & $50. Fifty dollar members get 4 designated shows for them a year. All ticket sellers, ushers, bartenders etc are volunteers. Oh and your membership is tax deductible.
Looking forward to going there to see Siegel-Schwall Band on 5/30 & maybe Johnny Wither on 6/17. Josh White Jr. played saturday night but unfortunately it wasn't in the cards to go.

Wally
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-05-04 3:57 PM (#417040 - in reply to #417039)
Subject: Re: Saw John Hammond last night

I go to shows so rarely these days. I'm really considering go to The Wood Brothers next Friday, though. Glad you had a good time, bd.
muzza
Posted 2009-05-05 12:46 AM (#417041 - in reply to #417039)

Eric Bibb was Downunder just last month and I saw him at my local community centre. I was in the 5th row.

The guy's got rubber fingers!

I met him after the show too. SUCH a cool dude. Doesn't look like he's pushing 60, does he!

I also saw John Hammond in London what seems a lifetime ago. He was supporting JJ Cale.

The thing I remember most about his performance was his foot pounding the floorboards and nearly drowning out the guitar. Precursor to a stomp box, I guess. Is that still a feature of his playing, birddog?
birddog
Posted 2009-05-05 9:04 AM (#417042 - in reply to #417039)

Originally posted by muzza:
Eric Bibb was Downunder just last month and I saw him at my local community centre. I was in the 5th row.

The guy's got rubber fingers!

I met him after the show too. SUCH a cool dude. Doesn't look like he's pushing 60, does he!

I also saw John Hammond in London what seems a lifetime ago. He was supporting JJ Cale.

The thing I remember most about his performance was his foot pounding the floorboards and nearly drowning out the guitar. Precursor to a stomp box, I guess. Is that still a feature of his playing, birddog?
Hey Muzza, yep John still stomps the left foot. I could almost feel the floor shake at about 50-60 feet away, couple that with the way his right hand kind of slaps the top of his guitar when he gets going he definately dosen't need a drummer.

And Eric is quite young, hard for me to gage him but looks kind of 30 something to me & very personable as he was signing CD's at a table near the bar at intermission. He has 17 CD releases out, I think a couple are only availible down under where you are but I picked up his latest "On Board"
His father Leon Bibb is on a couple of his CD's.
John Hammond said he played with Eric's father & Josh White's father who played the night before.
He also said that him & Eric have the same Godfather.

Wally
muzza
Posted 2009-05-06 10:17 AM (#417043 - in reply to #417039)

Yeah, he looks 30ish, but he turns 58 in August. Hard to believe, hey?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)