The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
The proper way to use laminates

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Patch
Posted 2009-07-31 4:24 PM (#405477)
Subject: The proper way to use laminates

I've mentioned this on other threads before, but a discussion on another forum made me think to show the graphics of it. Almost everyone has an opinion regarding laminated wood in any guitar, but on Ovations, we're talking about the top wood in particular. Most folks seem to have an opinion ranging from indifferent to scornful regarding the tone produced by these guitars.

But I've almost always found the panel masters to sound quite nice...nicer than many solid tops I've played. In the past, I've wondered about the discrepancy between what I heard from laminates and what others have said about them.

As it turns out, Ovation USA (I can't speak about the imports) has been using a rather unorthodox approach to lamination. Look at the pics below.

This is my Bubinga Custom Elite. I bought it used online from, believe it or not, Guitar Center. When it first came in and I was giving it the once-(or so)-over, I took a peek inside and Lo! to my wondering eyes what did appear? 'Twas bubinga 'neath the braces! I was astonished! Bubinga is a seriously hard, dense wood. It didn't make sense to make a solid top out of it. At least not to this amateur. After looking more closely, I noticed that the graining was different form the top. Hence, it must be two different pieces of bubinga. Curiouser and curiouser.....

I called the factory and...come to find out...it may be called a laminate, but it's not. It's a double veneer.

Laminates are typically glued together specifically so that the grains of the pieces cross each other to improve strength. A veneer is a very thin piece of a desirable wood laid over a slice of wood with more desirable qualities or attributes. A double veneer covers both surfaces of the attribute wood.

What is in this guitar is a birch soundboard, just like on an Adamas, sandwiched between two thin slices of bubinga. This my friends, is how a laminated guitar should be done. the guitar sounds lovely with plenty of volume and a unique tone that I find quite appealing. And there you have it, not all laminated guitars are created equal.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-07-31 4:36 PM (#405478 - in reply to #405477)
Subject: Re: The proper way to use laminates

Leave it to Ovation to come up with yet another unorthidox idea that WORKS.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-07-31 4:37 PM (#405479 - in reply to #405477)

Make that unorthOdox. Gotta stop hitting that button before I proofread.
WillaMuse
Posted 2009-07-31 4:58 PM (#405480 - in reply to #405477)

It is GORGEOUS, and what a wonderful grab, Patch. Congrats again, and thanks for the education.

;)
Willa
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-07-31 5:20 PM (#405481 - in reply to #405477)

Now you went and made me regret selling my 99 Collector again.
stonebobbo
Posted 2009-07-31 5:38 PM (#405482 - in reply to #405477)

I am right with you Patch. My 2000C outranks nearly all of the other guitars I have, even though it's a laminate top. In my case it's Lacewood, but a look at the inside has always had me wondering how they did it. I've often thought it was a solid mahogany top with a lacewood veneer layer. It certainly sounds that way to me.

This is what the top looks like:

And this is what the inside of the top looks like:

This guitar has a very warm sound, is fairly loud, and just flat out stuns the eye with it's nearly 3D effect on the top. As I've said before, even if it a panelmeister, it might be ultimate keeper guitar for me.
Darkbar
Posted 2009-07-31 6:20 PM (#405483 - in reply to #405477)

Dayum, Stone. That 2000 is outrageous!!!
My Everett has some lacewood trim....I can't imagine a whole top made from lacewood. I'd love to see that thing.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2009-07-31 8:13 PM (#405484 - in reply to #405477)

Laminate CAN Sound Good .. Right Away !!.., never said otherwise .. However .. a SOLID Top Will Improve ..
NICE looking Laminates .. Real Nice..
Resonant Woody
Posted 2009-07-31 9:55 PM (#405485 - in reply to #405477)

Beautiful, eye-catching guitar, Patch. I really like that red color and the grain pattern. Interesting to hear about the technical side of it as well.

I may have mentioned it before, but when I picked up my CC24, it sounded better than guitars twice it's price point with solid tops.

I asked several people why that was, and it was chalked up to random variation in production, which I understand completely.

If it stays sounding the way it is, I won't care if it doesn't get any better.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-07-31 11:22 PM (#405486 - in reply to #405477)

Great info Patch. Thanx!

Your post should put some members at ease with their 'lams'... :)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)