The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Still Loving the VXT

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

ProfessorBB
Posted 2011-02-09 2:54 PM (#356170)
Subject: Still Loving the VXT

Its unfortunate that the VXT model was not more successful. In hindsight, some say it could have been due to poor marketing, lack of available information or knowledge from the typical retail sales person, lack of demand for a solid body hybrid model, lack of brand identity for an electric, or just a very competitive market in its street price range. When the VXT was released to the public, we heard numerous horror stories about how floor models were literally inoperable, and to exacerbate the problem, nobody at GC knew how to make the required on-site adjustments nor did they appear to care one way or the other. There’s little wonder inquiring consumers lost interest and looked elsewhere. Unfortunately, it is a shame that few people really understand the utility of this model and appreciate its value. I’ve tracked my gigging over the past two years, and the VXT is second only to the custom 1187 SSB as my most frequently used guitar. When an electric is needed, it is the first guitar I reach for. Although mine was custom made with a few cosmetic additions beyond the standard models, I’m sure that the tone is pretty much the same as any other VXT with the Duncan ‘59 pups. It sounds great as an electric, works acceptably as an acoustic when time does not permit switching guitars, and the in-between tones are truly unique. In addition, the workmanship of this model in nearly all respects appears every bit as good as the models coming out of the Hamer custom shop down the hall and up a floor. With all the changes made in New Hartford and company ownership since the VXT was introduced and thereafter discontinued as a production model, I don’t see it coming back anytime soon, if ever, even if its popularity skyrocketed. Too bad. This is a very well-made, excellent sounding, excellent handling electric guitar with top shelf components, with the added benefit of allowing players to dial in some acoustic tone through its Fishman bridge and sophisticated VIP imaging processor. At some point in time, I suspect owners are going to develop a deeper appreciation for the VXT.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-02-09 3:19 PM (#356171 - in reply to #356170)
Subject: Re: Still Loving the VXT

+1... I hear ya preach'n reverend..

I have been using my VXT to dial in sounds on my electric amps. It's become my go-to electric and it's the model for how I will customize the wiring on my Carvin but that's a different story.

While many times an effect or guitar has lots of options, only a few of which are useable, the VXT seems like they are all useful.

Wanna have some fun... here's a setup for ya.. It requires a stereo amp, and a regular amp or any other way you can get three signals.

Option 1 : Send the humbuckers to the mono amp in the middle, and the Fishman to the stereo amp with it's speakers on either side of the center amp. Run a stereo chorus and a little reverb or better yet a little delay, totally wet (no dy signal), on the Fishman signal and just bring it in enough to be heard. Even at low volume it will sound like an orchestra of guitars.

Option 2 : Similar to above, but run the Fishman to the center and the Humbuckers to the stereo rig.

Option 3 : Ok... wanna get really funky.. go same as option 2 where your main signal is bright and clean, very acoustic. Add distortion to the humbuckers before it goes to the stereo chorus. You'll want to take out almost all of the highs. Keep it deep and muddy and at very low volume compared to the clean signal. Basically you only want to hear the distorted signal when you stop playing, in between played notes.

Option 4 + 5 + 6 and on... All the variations of the above..

Now you can do the above on a normal guitar, but what really makes this come alive is the signal source is a different pickup, on a different location on the guitar. The Fishman is a completely different sound than the Humbuckers.

You can do this with two regular guitar amps as well.. You just loose the "stereo" effect which arguably doesn't really matter all that much in a gig situation anyway.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2011-02-09 3:28 PM (#356172 - in reply to #356170)

Miles, I have the amps and stereo PA in the bandroom and will give it a go this weekend. Thanks for the tip.
ScottMt
Posted 2011-02-09 4:18 PM (#356173 - in reply to #356170)

The VXT is top of my dream list for my next guitar. This morning I was staring at my Viper and thinking how lucky I am to have it because if it was a Fender/Gibson and it was this good and it said Fender/Gibson on the headstock then I would not be able to afford it ...
LeftyThatPlaysRighty
Posted 2011-02-09 7:01 PM (#356174 - in reply to #356170)

Wow! That is one beautiful VXT! I had one on my wish list ever since I tried one at the OFC open house. I was able to find a 2008 deluxe model in cinnamon burst on craigslist - case included. Great sound, perfect feel, excellent craftsmanship. If you haven't tried one, I suggest that you should. Since they have been discontinued you may be able to pick one up cheap. :)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-02-09 8:02 PM (#356175 - in reply to #356170)

Originally posted by ProfessorBB:
Miles, I have the amps and stereo PA in the bandroom and will give it a go this weekend. Thanks for the tip.
If you are doing it through the PA... hang onto your hat. Send the Fishman only to the board with a nice stereo chorus and some short 'delay. Then setup your guitar to play like it was humbuckers only. Then just add a little of the PA.. You should find a sweet spot that sounds like there are guitars all over the room. Have fun..
PEZ
Posted 2011-02-10 2:21 AM (#356176 - in reply to #356170)

I like mine except the finish VXT-S texture black ugly... but I want single coils
instantkarma
Posted 2011-05-30 1:19 PM (#356177 - in reply to #356170)

That is one beautiful top on your VXT. I have a -4 natural spruce top, with a clear natural finish mahogany back and neck, but with black surrounds and knobs. Did you replace the pickup surrounds and knobs, or were those part of your special order? The chrome looks great!

The factory says they install D'Addario YBXL-110. Curious what VXT owners have found with other types of strings for a more acoustic sound, yet preserving humbucker response.
bburg
Posted 2011-05-31 3:48 AM (#356178 - in reply to #356170)

I have VXT-D in '59 burst, wonderful guitar. One of the last I'd sell.Befor I had a VXT-SB which had problems with the electronics, but it was repaired by warrenty.
I use D'addario "Halfrounds" on her and love that sound.

Bernie
ProfessorBB
Posted 2011-05-31 9:06 AM (#356179 - in reply to #356170)

Originally posted by instantkarma:
Did you replace the pickup surrounds and knobs, or were those part of your special order?
I replaced both upon receipt, and use D'Addario EXL110s.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)