The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
K-1111 re-issue, need opinions ASAP

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Michael R. Winters
Posted 2011-05-07 10:25 PM (#352588)
Subject: K-1111 re-issue, need opinions ASAP

I think I missed out on the one that ovationluver had on here last week.
My Mom is thinking about getting one of these as an investment (she doesn't play)but also for nostalgia reasons.
People here have heard my story time and again about how my Mom & Dad scrimped and saved to buy the 68 DB I still have and even though this one is a bit different with the older style small rosette as opposed to mine's inlaid full size rosette and being new, this is an opportunity for a guitar to be bught new and put away virtually unlplayed fo a long time, kida like opening a time capsule.
I think the shiney bowl has her hooked :)
There is one on E-Bay for $950 shipped but it ends in a day and a half so I'm in a hurry here.
Do you guys think this is reasonable or does anybody have a line on one for less but in like new condition?
She's said if she could find another 68 DB like mine she'd buy it provided it was in good condition but I've told here they are rarely to be had, this is a good chance for her to get something close but like I said, I need some advice here so gimmee some quick :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2011-05-07 11:33 PM (#352589 - in reply to #352588)
Subject: Re: K-1111 re-issue, need opinions ASAP

I think it's a little on the high end of the price scale, but it's not out of line. These are wonderful guitars, but they are not going to appreciate dramatically over time. Ovations just don't do that

If I were in the market for one (and I wish I were), I'd pay that kind of money. But then I'd play the hell outta it.....
Mark in Boise
Posted 2011-05-08 12:20 AM (#352590 - in reply to #352588)

The FRGs a couple years ago were considerably cheaper. Great guitars, though. I don't know about buying one as an investment. They didn't sell out when they made them, so they might never be sought after.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2011-05-08 1:46 AM (#352591 - in reply to #352588)

I didn't jump in cuz I didn't wanna seem like I was acting like the Price Police...
But those didn't cost that much when they were new.
If it is This One , they must've bought them as an investment also.
Rumor had it that their were less than 40 made, so not too many.
Mine was #006 and it was an FRG.
They keep trying to sell that same guitar for around $1K, and nobody is buying.

Understand that they are Really Nice Guitars...
I only sold mine outta desperation and I figured that another OFC'r would keep it.
That is another sale that I sorta regret.
But I don't know about buying for investment value.
But like anything else, if you are gonna keep it for 20 years it might be worth more...
And it might Not. I have bought many nice used guitars that prove that.
FlySig
Posted 2011-05-08 8:58 AM (#352592 - in reply to #352588)

After inflation, no guitar is likely to be a money making investment. There are those really rare ones that turn out to be worth tons, but most new guitars, including Ovations, lose value like a new car driven off the lot.

There is no new guitar that I would buy as an investment. Some used ones will likely hold their value over time.
Michael R. Winters
Posted 2011-05-08 9:50 AM (#352593 - in reply to #352588)

Thanks for the advice guys!
stonebobbo
Posted 2011-05-08 12:16 PM (#352594 - in reply to #352588)

I own one of these. It is a fantastic guitar for the money. There was a small window where the FRGs got blown out the door, but it was only a few of them that went for cheap and those who got them should consider themselves hugely lucky. I know I do. And I know it's worth a whole lot more that what I paid and if I didn't already have mine, I seriously think about snapping that one a Zozo right up. I don't think there's a better $1000 guitar out there. Even more if you're an ovation aficionado. This guitar has ALL the high end features and quality appointments. Hand laid glass bowl. Shiny. A-braced spruce. 3 piece. The wood on mine is especially good. Brazilian rosewood bridge. Old style five piece neck. Kluson Deluxe tuners. Absolutely killer inlaid MOP chain rosette. Multi-layer vintage binding in aged ivoroid. It sounds huge. Plays light and easy. Anything comparable from any other brand is at least 2x the price.

Buying for an investment is probably not the way to go. But buying the guitar to be some sort of family heirloom that creates a lot of memories, brings good times and happiness through the years, and is some sort of a touchstone for a family (not a lot different than your 68) ... well, that'll pay you back many many times over.

I know what I would do, but then again there's that old adage about a fool and his money.
cuthbert
Posted 2011-05-14 6:03 AM (#352595 - in reply to #352588)

my K-1111 arrived today, and I'm playing her!

The customs kidnapped her for almost three weeks and in the end I had to pay a ransom of 170 euros, but definitely worth the price: I know that seller, I offered 850 but he refused the offer, so I went to another guy, worldmusicsupply, who claimed to have the last 8 of the Ovation showroom in stock. The deal was a pain, he was very slow to answer emails, I asked if I could pick up a serial number and he said it was an hassle, but in the end he shipped me a random guitar, that was the #016 of the limited run (I don't know how many they made).
What can I say? It's a fantastic guitar, very well finished (although a side dot of the fingerboard got lost, I assume during shipping), and worth of more than 1000 dollars.

I'm thinking about making a review of the guitar, should I open another thread?
Michael R. Winters
Posted 2011-05-14 11:47 AM (#352596 - in reply to #352588)

Please do a review, I'm sure there are some folks who'd enjoy it.
I found one at a good price for my Mom, it should be at her house in a few days.
I look forward to playing it the next time I visit her :)
cuthbert
Posted 2011-05-14 12:08 PM (#352597 - in reply to #352588)

Originally posted by Michael R. Winters:
Please do a review, I'm sure there are some folks who'd enjoy it.
I found one at a good price for my Mom, it should be at her house in a few days.
I look forward to playing it the next time I visit her :)
I confess that I also bought it for its nostalgic value, you know that now Ovation is commercially dead I thought it would have been nice to get the first guitar they made, but honestly...the guitar is a cannon! VERY loud and deserves to be played...
marenostrum
Posted 2011-05-14 12:50 PM (#352598 - in reply to #352588)

Glad you granted yourself this very nice guitar, cuthbert.
I own one of the early original Deluxe Balladeer and its a joy to play and to l@@k at. I got it from Al and after a spa treatment at New Hartford came back to life. I put on Ovation strings and plays wonderful. One of the best guitar I own and a piece of Ovation history.
I decided to get one of the early Os after having tried a Balladeer reisue K1111 back in 2006 at a local music shop.
Again, congrat on your new guitar !!
bburg
Posted 2011-05-14 1:04 PM (#352599 - in reply to #352588)

Congrats too from Germany!!
That is one I'm missing in my collection, but I think I'll more looking for the Folklore-RI.

Bernie
cuthbert
Posted 2011-05-14 1:14 PM (#352600 - in reply to #352588)

Originally posted by marenostrum:
Glad you granted yourself this very nice guitar, cuthbert.
I own one of the early original Deluxe Balladeer and its a joy to play and to l@@k at. I got it from Al and after a spa treatment at New Hartford came back to life. I put on Ovation strings and plays wonderful. One of the best guitar I own and a piece of Ovation history.
I decided to get one of the early Os after having tried a Balladeer reisue K1111 back in 2006 at a local music shop.
Again, congrat on your new guitar !!
Yeah, it would be nice to get a deluxe balladeer, was yours retopped? I usually prefer new guitars, that was the reason why I went with the re-edition, not to mention that finding a 5 points bridge balladeer is pretty hard today.
cuthbert
Posted 2011-05-14 1:16 PM (#352601 - in reply to #352588)

Originally posted by bburg:
Congrats too from Germany!!
That is one I'm missing in my collection, but I think I'll more looking for the Folklore-RI.

Bernie
I'd like to get the Josh White reissue as well, but it seems very difficult to get. I'd also love to get a 12 strings GC reissue as well.
marenostrum
Posted 2011-05-14 2:02 PM (#352602 - in reply to #352588)

Originally posted by cuthbert:
Yeah, it would be nice to get a deluxe balladeer, was yours retopped? I usually prefer new guitars, that was the reason why I went with the re-edition, not to mention that finding a 5 points bridge balladeer is pretty hard today.
No, mine is all original. I had the neck angle re-adjusted, the bowl and top cleaned and finished. I've been conservative in making this restoration and prefer an all original guitar with original top with the mojo of 43 years playing in it.
Too easy to have a new bowl and top and, in my opinion, you loose all the magic.
5 points bridges are available at the factory.
If I did not find this deluxe balladeer I would have probably bought the K1111 reissue. Back in 2006 a brand new K1111 sold for 1.400 euro :(
You did a good deal with yours.
Maybe one thay we will meet up and do an A/B comparison ; reissue vs original .... ;)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2011-05-14 2:06 PM (#352603 - in reply to #352588)

not to mention that finding a 5 points bridge balladeer is pretty hard today.
Factory has 'em....
Michael R. Winters
Posted 2011-05-14 3:50 PM (#352604 - in reply to #352588)

I play my Dad's 68 DB pretty much every other day or so.
It'll be interesting to see how the K-1111 compares to it.
cuthbert
Posted 2011-05-14 4:14 PM (#352605 - in reply to #352588)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
not to mention that finding a 5 points bridge balladeer is pretty hard today.
Factory has 'em....
I was talking about original 1966 Balladeers...
moody, p.i.
Posted 2011-05-14 6:08 PM (#352606 - in reply to #352588)

My mistake. Thought you were talking about the bridges not the whole guitar....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)