The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Deacon for sale

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

svtlee
Posted 2002-03-01 5:21 PM (#344247)
Subject: Deacon for sale

There's a white Deacon for sale at the Chicago store in Tucson, AZ. Phone #(520-622-3341). Mark is the guy to talk to. It's a bit weary looking, priced at $595.00, but they always tag their stuff high. You could probably make him an offer he can't refuse.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-03-01 7:17 PM (#344248 - in reply to #344247)
Subject: Re: Deacon for sale

Deacons weren't white
svtlee
Posted 2002-03-01 11:23 PM (#344249 - in reply to #344247)

Checked an old Deacon poster (as I'm mainly a bass player and could have made a mistake). Course my neighbors walls aren't white either, but they change color when some kid with a spray can goes by. It's a deacon alright- looks kind of like a smaller version of Gene Simmons axe bass, Bill.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-03-01 11:42 PM (#344250 - in reply to #344247)

Deacons were wood tones, BREADWINNERS came in solid colors. Basically the same guitar, Deacons being the "upline" if you will. They went through several changes of different pickups, and electronics and I believe the Deacon is actually wired for stereo. But one thing for sure.. Deacons were all wood tones and the Breadwinners were white, black, tan and a few in blue.
Someone else probably has more details, but I thinks the Deacons did not have active electronics, but the breadwinners did. I'm sure someone else can clarify that..

Miles
mr.kev
Posted 2002-03-02 7:12 AM (#344251 - in reply to #344247)

I can't comment on whether the Deacon only came in natural wood finish (mine certainly is) but it wasn't wired for stereo. The difference between the Deacon and the Breadwinner are that the Deacon has a binding on the edges of the neck and diamond-shaped fret markers. Both had active circuitry. Anyone got a rough idea of value for either in the UK? I was fairly happy to pay £500 for my Deacon, but I don't know whether this is a good price or not?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-03-02 7:37 AM (#344252 - in reply to #344247)

UK prices seem to be a little more variable than the USA. I've paid as little as £150 for a cased Breadwinner in good shape, and I've seen a Limited in a London dealer at £895. A shop in Scotland sold a Breadwinner recently for £695. If you took an average Ebay price for a Deacon at around $400, shipping, tax & duty would make it pretty close to the £500 you paid, so it seems about right. If Gbase is any kind of yardstick, US dealer prices seem to be between $6-700. One thought about this website, it might be a factor in pushing prices up a little.

As I understand it, factory oddballs aside, the diffence between the Deacon & Breadwinner was down to finish & decoration. (B/winner: spackled finish, unbound dot-neck, Deacon: gloss finish,, bound, diamonds & dots.)There were some subtle variations later (pickguard & headstock shape) Both were issued with preamps. I wasn't aware of any stereo versions.

Paul
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-03-02 8:35 AM (#344253 - in reply to #344247)

I believe you are all correct on the non-stereo. I was thinking of the Preacher and the Magnum bass. Anyway... gBase prices seem to be over the top to me. I have picked up a couple of bargains, but for the most part, I don't get it. I have seen guitars listed for months and months on there. I think the MAX on ANY regular production solid-body that I have ever paid is $500. Most have been in the $300-$450 range, including the Breadwinners, Deacons and Limited. Of course, 12 string Deacon or Preacher pushes up to the $600 mark... but I have been patient.
I have noticed the prices of some like Vipers and Breadwinner/Deacons and Limiteds going up more on eBay too. I had wondered if I affected this to some extent due to the number I purchased. I hope not, but there was about a year (last year) where if it was a solid-body I didn't have... I would get it. :(
Beal
Posted 2002-03-02 10:08 AM (#344254 - in reply to #344247)

Paul,
the headstock didn't change on the bdwnr or deacon. you got the rest right, just binding and inlays and machine heads, plastic casees on the bdwnr, regular metal on the deacon.

Now here's something that might confuse us all, at the end I think they might have made some soild color gloss guitars, white and black and who knows what else. I don't know if these were deacons or weiners. SO... this post might be about a white deacon afterall...........
svtlee
Posted 2002-03-02 10:26 AM (#344255 - in reply to #344247)

Keep giving me all the info you can and I'll go there Monday and solve the riddle. The finish IS dull.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-03-02 10:55 AM (#344256 - in reply to #344247)

Bill, I'm sure I'm not imagining the headstock thing. My Deacon & Breadwinner have slim, acoustic-style headstocks. Most other Deacons I've seen have the wider Viper/Preacher-style headstock. I have a late 70's Rose Morris catalog (UK distributor at the time) in front of me right now. There is a picture of a B/Winner & Deacon side by side, the Deacon headstock is clearly different. Any ideas?

Paul
samova
Posted 2002-03-02 12:45 PM (#344257 - in reply to #344247)

I have 13 deacons and breadwinner and the headstock is a little thinner on some early breadwinners compared to the later preacher and viper headstocks.Its not a lot of difference but they do appear thinner.Also, i can verify what Bill says about the solid color deacs.I have some.They did make a few,very few ,gloss black and gloss white breads and deacs.....
Beal
Posted 2002-03-03 12:13 PM (#344258 - in reply to #344247)

the viper and preacheur were wider. I guess they all went to the "electric" peghead at some time, probably when these two were introduced. In the beginning they were the same as the acoustic.
Beal
Posted 2002-03-03 12:15 PM (#344259 - in reply to #344247)

It's not my fault, you forget this stuff after a while. Takes some memory jogging to get it back

[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: cwk2 ]
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)