The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Looking for Ovation ultra GP

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

ickygoo
Posted 2002-05-05 6:01 AM (#344057)
Subject: Looking for Ovation ultra GP

I am on a quest to get a GP of my very own. If anyone has one they are willing to sale or knows of someone who is selling one, please let me know. I'd prefer a black one, but any available will do. Thanks! [email]princesivart@hotmail.com[/email]
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-05-05 9:21 AM (#344058 - in reply to #344057)
Subject: Re: Looking for Ovation ultra GP

Good Luck, from what I've seen if you find one, grab it, don't worry about the colour.
ickygoo
Posted 2002-06-02 4:15 AM (#344059 - in reply to #344057)

Finally got one, but I need a new truss rod cover and they previous owner changed the pickups. Anyone know where I can get original pick ups or a new truss rod cover? I know the original pickups are Dimarzio Super 2's (or so I have read) but I don't want the new ones since they don't look the same as the more rectangular ones that came on the stock GP. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Travis
[email]princesivart@hotmail.com[/email]
Beal
Posted 2002-06-02 8:05 AM (#344060 - in reply to #344057)

Travis,
The factory service dept can probably get you a truss rod cover.
As for the pickups an alternative would be to use covered thumbsuckers. Gets to about the same look without the white plastic look. I've got as set of Holmes pickups in my main Hamer, they've got the aged nickle covers. Those would look great in the GP. Just a suggestion...
alpep
Posted 2002-06-02 9:57 AM (#344061 - in reply to #344057)

CWK
what is up with the Holmes pickups? I have not tried them. What do you like about them?
Beal
Posted 2002-06-02 10:50 AM (#344062 - in reply to #344057)

I got mine from Corner Music in Nashville about 5 years ago. The Nickle covers are aged and look great. They sound good, full fat and loud but with tone. I put them in a very flamey artist archtop. If there's a complaint it would be that they can get a little muddy sometimes (the down side to fat and full). I've not done the comparisons with all that Holmes offers. I talked to the guy I knew at the store, said I want the Wintage look and tone and that's what I got.
Have you heard much about them?
alpep
Posted 2002-06-02 11:48 AM (#344063 - in reply to #344057)

I have not heard them and don't know anything about them. I know that many of the Hamers guys but Rio Grande pickups in their Hamers and I don't like them.
My artist has the stock duncans and I like them a lot. the bridge pickup seemed rather bright when I first got the guitar but I adjusted my amp settings and switched from the sans amp to the barber burn unit and dialed in more mids and liked the pickup. Currently I hooked up with Bruce Zinky and am using his True Grit pedal which I like a lot it has a real wide tonal variation and can go from a transparent gain jump to an all out all hell breaking loose fury.
Currently I have no desire to swap the stock pickups but always am open to new ideas and products. I am waiting for the tech 21 double drive to get to my house to give that pedal a once over.
ickygoo
Posted 2002-06-03 1:45 PM (#344064 - in reply to #344057)

Thanks for all everybodies help. I'm going with the new Rio Grande humcjers the Crunchbox and the Punchbox. They look similar to original pickups and are suppose to sound like what I'm lookig for (loud and fat). If interested, I'll let you guys know what i think of them when i put 'em in.
Beal
Posted 2002-06-04 7:19 PM (#344065 - in reply to #344057)

Al,
I agree that the Duncans are great, particularly the ones in the ultimates. At the time I had several others that were stock so I hot rodded this guitar. In time the others went away and I'm left with this one (with the Holmes). They are both good, back to the choc/vanilla thang.
jefferson starship
Posted 2002-06-27 7:18 AM (#344066 - in reply to #344057)

hey travis.........where did you find the ULTRA GP???????????????
thx DOOD
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)