The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
How old are these tuners??

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Bluebird
Posted 2002-05-06 3:45 PM (#344049)
Subject: How old are these tuners??

Hi all, just wondering about the approximate vintage of this set of classical tuners I just bought through Ebay. They have the marking of "S" (Schaller) and "made in Germany" one each gear. They do not have the little Ovation Guitar symbol as on later ones. Also, the perloid buttons are darker than I've seen, almost an amber color.
Another question: when exactly did Ovation start stamping the Ovation logo on their Schallers?
These are not as clean as I had hoped so if anyone here has a set in good condition they would sell, I am interested.

Thanks!

Weiner

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2002-05-06 4:44 PM (#344050 - in reply to #344049)
Subject: Re: How old are these tuners??

As soon as we started using Schaller tuners we had the logo on the keys. We were the first company to use Schaller OEM, by the way. It was in the mid 90's we went away from the logo. By then every one knew they were Schallers and it was easier to handle inventory if it wasn't special to us. I think Ovation has pretty much gone away from them now. Hard to date these keys. Did they come from an Ovation?

[ May 06, 2002: Message edited by: cwk2 ]
Bluebird
Posted 2002-05-06 5:45 PM (#344051 - in reply to #344049)

Thanks for your reply!

They were advertised as coming from an old Ovation and do indeed seem very old...I had a '68 Thunderhead that I was sure had original, non logoed Schallers but I could be mistaken. But if your pretty sure they are not Ovations I probably not use them. I was to use them on an important guitar, to me; the X010 Glen Campbell Classic prototype. It presently has chrome tuners on it but they just never looked right to me since the guitar has gold strap pin and gold screws with the signature truss rod cover.
I'd just as soon wait to find authentic Ovation tuners of the proper vintage wich is 1970.
alpep
Posted 2002-05-06 5:55 PM (#344052 - in reply to #344049)

The thunderhead should have Kluson tuners. Many times they are gone because vintage Klusons are used to fix other guitars that are more valuable of that vintage.
I have a bunch of the Ovation branded schaller gears in chrome but none in gold. The gold gears you have should work fine.
Beal
Posted 2002-05-06 7:59 PM (#344053 - in reply to #344049)

Sorry Al,
The Thunderhead had Schallers, the Toronado had klusons.

Weiner,
If these are gold put them on anyway and when you find the others switch then. The holes should all be the same.
alpep
Posted 2002-05-06 8:41 PM (#344054 - in reply to #344049)

oops forgot the thunderhead had gold hardware and schallers my mistake.
but the earliest ovations did have klusons
Beal
Posted 2002-05-07 9:31 AM (#344055 - in reply to #344049)

Yes, the earliest acoustics had kluson. Then the big upgrade to Grover and suffering through all the quality variations and then along came Helmut. The rest is history as they say.
alpep
Posted 2002-05-07 10:56 AM (#344056 - in reply to #344049)

I have seen a few guitars with Grovers on them and I always thought they were retro fitted. I guess you learn something every day.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)