The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Korean vs American made ?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

trobablue
Posted 2002-06-05 1:58 PM (#343978)
Subject: Korean vs American made ?

I am currently bidding on a guitar on e-bay. I am confused.... They list the model as a Celebrity Deluxe CC257 with serial number 1015177. However when I try to research the model and serial number to find out when it was made nothing matches up. Kaman lists models as CS 257 with possibly six digit serial numbers but nothing matches CC or 7 digits ? What's up with that. Also, seller says the guitar is Korean. Does anybody have input about the quality of the Korean made vs the good old USA made ? Please help, before I buy a pig in a poke. Thanks for any input .
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2002-06-05 2:14 PM (#343979 - in reply to #343978)
Subject: Re: Korean vs American made ?

celebrity guitars are made in Korea. The seriel number reference on this site only supports USA made instruments.
Many people have good luck and love their imported ovations. Let your own eyes and ears be your judge.
trobablue
Posted 2002-06-05 3:02 PM (#343980 - in reply to #343978)

Thanks, alpep. In other words Celebrities are an inferior guitar which Ovation has lent it's name to ? How could Bill do that ? Isn't that a compromise of the innovation and commitment to quality Ovation stands for ? Damn, I should have known, caveat emptor ! Thanks again for the info alpep. I guess learning the hard way is the way I lean best !
Tom
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-06-05 3:04 PM (#343981 - in reply to #343978)

You've got that wrong. Celebrity guitars are designed by Ovation and built in Korea to save money. True, they are not as good as USA built Ovations, but I've played some that are quite good instruments.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-06-05 3:21 PM (#343982 - in reply to #343978)

I'm not sure if it's common knowledge (it's about to be) or if this is still true... but I believe Ovation owns the factory in Korea that makes the imported guitars. If this is still the case, I think Ovation should tell people this in thier print ads because it sais a LOT about the company (in a positive way.) Unlike "trobablue" and many others assumed it is not a case of like so many other companies that just farm out to the lowest bidder. These cats just went to a place where things like labor, rent and electricity is a little cheaper.
trobablue
Posted 2002-06-05 3:25 PM (#343983 - in reply to #343978)

Thanks, Paul. I guess since I can't play the guitar before I buy(e-bay auction) I'll just have to hope I get one of the good ones. I know Ovations are great guitars. I have played a Balladeer and a Custom. I just didn't want to break the bank on a guitar for my son. At my age, I know you get what you pay for and I should have researched better before buying. No fool like an old fool, eh ? lol
Tom
trobablue
Posted 2002-06-05 3:42 PM (#343984 - in reply to #343978)

Thanks for the input, Miles.
Sorry folks, I didn't mean to slam Ovation. I am a businessman who understands the concept, all too well, of the effect of labor and production costs and the importance of keeping those costs down. It just upsets me to see quality control go by the wayside sometimes when corporations pursue cost cutting venues. As a business owner, I understand profit and loss. As an armchair musician, I appreciate the quality and craftsmanship that goes into the making of a timeless instrument like the Ovation guitar. It seems that their should be a marriage of both,without compromise of quality. I also realize affordability plays a part because a lot of armchair musicians can't or won't afford Martins or Customs or guitars that costs thousands. Sigh.... I wonder if Bill Gates wants to adopt a brother... oh well... long live Ovations (raising a glass of Louis XIV Cognac)!
Thanks again all,
Have a great day !
Tom
canoewoman
Posted 2002-06-05 3:47 PM (#343985 - in reply to #343978)

I adore my Korean-made Celebrity. It sounds as good or better than any classical guitar I have heard played live (outside Carnege Hall or Lincoln Center), especially when I have placed it in the hands of experienced players. Although my little Boss amplifier is not state-of-the-art, the sound of the Celebrity through it is beautiful.

I am a square one beginner at playing, but am a critical and very experienced listener!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-06-05 4:09 PM (#343986 - in reply to #343978)

I didn't really think you were slamming Ovation, but in a way I was/am trying too or at least make my views known. I feel Ovation is one of the more progressive and inovative guitar manufacturers out there... but, unles you already own an Ovation, it is unlikely that one would find this out. Personally I'm into solid-body guitars. In the process of creating my little collection of Ovation Solidbody Guitars (yeah I know... shameless plug) and learning about the guitars, I found inspiration and technology used by Ovation 10-15 years ahead of anyone else. For the most part, only Ovation (sometimes) and the folks who own the instruments (sometimes) know what effort went into the development of some of these guitars.
I think it's very cool that while most everyone else, in many industries, were farming their work out to the lowest bidder... Ovation went to Korea (and maybe other places) to find a place to build their guitars. Any company that makes a quality product that I can use, and goes out of their way to save me some money in the process... is A O K with me. Ok.. they went out of their way to save themselves some money, but it works out for us too.

I think they should be proud of their inovations, even the economical ones and advertise it and not try to hide it so much.

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: Mr. Ovation ]
alpep
Posted 2002-06-05 4:42 PM (#343987 - in reply to #343978)

trobabblue I DO NOT appreciate having words put in my mouth. I did not make a judgement on the Celebrity guitars you did. all I suggested is that you use your eyes and ears.
trobablue
Posted 2002-06-05 6:29 PM (#343988 - in reply to #343978)

Sorry, alpep, really !
I did not mean to offend.... I am new to this site and do not wish to get off on the wrong foot. I have been reading your posts and replies and respect your knowledge and wisdom about Ovations. Pleeeaaaassseee accept my apologies ! Thanks canoewoman, I appreciate the input about your Celebrity. I am a rank amateur plunker of the guitar but it brings me great pleasure to play and listen. I am sure the Celebrity model will be just fine for my son.... besides he not quite ready for a Custom Elite just yet, lol
Hope you all have a great day ! :)
Tom
Beal
Posted 2002-06-05 7:27 PM (#343989 - in reply to #343978)

Trobablue,
How could Bill do what????

To the best of my knowledge, Ovation doesn't own a factory in Korea. The deal always, we bring the designs and the orders, you bring the factory and workers.
Maybe this has changed since 98??
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-06-05 8:11 PM (#343990 - in reply to #343978)

Hey Al, calm down. You're being a bit touchy there. Is the cut on your hand bothering you especially today?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)