The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Richie Sambora's Ovation Triple Neck FOR SALE

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

www.rockstarsguitars.com
Posted 2002-06-06 10:15 AM (#343961)
Subject: Richie Sambora's Ovation Triple Neck FOR SALE

Rock Stars Guitars [email]ghd@cox.net[/email]
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2002-06-06 10:53 AM (#343962 - in reply to #343961)
Subject: Re: Richie Sambora's Ovation Triple Neck FOR SALE

I saw this guitar on e bay a while back and it made me think.
I know ovation spend a lot of time r & d and money on the development of this guitar.
what is the policy of artist relations on a guitar like this? I know that it is usually called artist "loan" Technically speaking who is the rightful owner of the guitar the artist or Ovation.
It would seem to me that now Mr sambucca is using Taylors why should he profit off of this guitar? He had Ovation made the guitar and he did use it but in reality who is the righful owner?
Can anyone shed any light on the artist relations policy of Ovation? especially when it applies to an expensive and one off custom instrument such as this.
Beal
Posted 2002-06-06 4:07 PM (#343963 - in reply to #343961)

There is a vice president of Marketing in Bloomfield. Let's get his answer........
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-06-06 6:24 PM (#343964 - in reply to #343961)

That is an interesting question. Do the "Bluebirds" fall into this category too?
alpep
Posted 2002-06-06 7:53 PM (#343965 - in reply to #343961)

cwk2 who is the vp or marketing and how do we get in touch with him/her?

Miles
re: the bluebird. I would say no. The bluebirds were basically a stock body shape with stock parts with a special paint job. I am sure it was not a major jump for Ovation to slap the together

As for mr sambucca's guitar. the bowl had to be hand made the top had to be hand made and development done on how to brace it so it would not fold up. I bet the case had to cost a grand by itself.
What could it have cost Ovation to R & D the guitar and build it 25K? I don't know I am just guessing. sure some of the R & D was probably used for the celebrity doublenecks but basically you have as far as I know 2 hand built triple necks along with a couple of doublenecks built for jimmy page.

Different artists get different deals some equipment is given away for stage performance or for endorsements yet other times equipment is loaned for certain projects. I have no clue what the issue is here but I am curious and brought it up.
I am sure that with Glenn Ovation could never give him enough guitars to provide for all the publicity that he gave the company throughout his career. btw I have seen some photos of Glenn with a Hamer recently.
Beal
Posted 2002-06-06 8:32 PM (#343966 - in reply to #343961)

Actually the bluebirds were a pretty big deal. Made in Moosup, not New Hartford and foam bodies, not wood. Glen was always good about guitars. If it was for him, he asked for it. If it was for one of his friends or for a favor, he bought it.
Actually at the time John Bovine was the biggest endorsee the company had so whatever they wanted they got, no strings attached. The value of the product on stage, album covers, press shots, etc. was enough.
Call the corp offices and ask to talk to them. Would be a good subject for another interview, don't you think?
alpep
Posted 2002-06-06 10:01 PM (#343967 - in reply to #343961)

cwk2 absolutely !!

I have lost my chronology here but were the bluebirds essentially prototypes for the uk II ?

I know about the foam body but aside from that and the paint job it would seem to be rather standard but if they came before the uk II then they were extremely innovative.
Beal
Posted 2002-06-07 7:10 PM (#343968 - in reply to #343961)

They came at the same time, or concurrently it could be said.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-06-07 8:44 PM (#343969 - in reply to #343961)

Speaking of the UKII... et al.. I just finished a "rant" of sorts at The Ovation Solidbody Collection site on the UKII. After doing a ton of research, I just sat back and to myself, "self.... WOW!!!" I have a new appreciation for these fine guitars. I still prefer the Viper for "everyday" use, but the UKII was just so ahead of its time. Elements of high-tech inovations, add a little Travis Bean, a smidgen of Les Paul, and a little more Yankee Ingenuity... about the only thing it's missing is an acoustic type pickup in the bridge, and I have a project guitar that just may end up that way. I think I'd still rather have a Bluebird with UKII pickups tho...

Speaking of Bluebird... Did the Bluebirds have the same aluminum core like the UKII (with bridge and neck mounted to it) or were they all foam?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-06-07 8:58 PM (#343970 - in reply to #343961)

Nevermind.... I just found a spare "Brownbird" body and it's foam on aluminum... I feel a project about to happen...
Bluebird
Posted 2002-06-07 9:53 PM (#343971 - in reply to #343961)

The "OH" book lists the UK2 as being introduced in 1980, whether that is correct or not, but the Bluebirds were, for a fact, around by no later than early 1977. The serial #, pot dates and inspection stamp on my 6-string 'bird would even suggest a somewhat earlier date.

Wayne
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-06-07 10:51 PM (#343972 - in reply to #343961)

Hey Miles:
Share with us a picture of the "brownbird" body, please.
Bluebird
Posted 2002-06-08 5:01 AM (#343973 - in reply to #343961)

btw I have seen some photos of Glenn with a Hamer recently

Al, glen has been playing a Hamer 12-string electric for about 10 years now, ever since his last remaining Bluebird 12 was turned into matchwood (or was it window insulation :) ) by a careless airline.

Actually at the time John Bovine was the biggest endorsee the company

cwk2, excuse my brain cramp, but who is John Bovine?

Wayne
alpep
Posted 2002-06-08 5:19 AM (#343974 - in reply to #343961)

wayne
I did not seem to indicate Glenn using Hamer guitars was a bad thing I use them myself.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-06-08 7:59 AM (#343975 - in reply to #343961)

I try to post a pic on Monday, but it really just looks like a stock Viper body in the color of the brown UKII's. A lot of finish cracked off the edge, so I'm removing all of the finish and my other half is going to "marbleize" it. Yes, a "rock" guitar. I am also going to fill the routing so I need not use a pickguard. I am thinking of replacing the bridge, but I need to find a way to attach a new bridge to the aluminum core. Actually the only hint that this is a "foam" guitar, other than where the paint chipped off, is where the neck mounts, you can see the dull aluminum exposed. I initially thought it was the residue from the little glue square they use to glue the necks, but after closer inspection realized it was aluminum.
Beal
Posted 2002-06-08 2:00 PM (#343976 - in reply to #343961)

Bon Jovi
Jon Bovi (ne)
Bluebird
Posted 2002-06-08 3:57 PM (#343977 - in reply to #343961)

Sorry cwk2, your subtle humor was lost on me at 1 o'clock + in the morning...I'll try to do better!

Wayne
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)