The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
A question or two for the Fan Club!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

alpep
Posted 2002-06-29 2:12 PM (#343897 - in reply to #343872)
Subject: Re: A question or two for the Fan Club!

I got it now you are confusing the brand name "acoustic" with an amp designed for acoustic guitars.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-05 11:06 PM (#343898 - in reply to #343872)

Hey Tommy, I just join'd this Club today 7/5/02. I sent in a question and I got this site as a ref. and guess what? I think I have one of those '68 GC Ovations. I'm taking a picture of it and will put it on here within the next week.
I bought it some 15 years ago from a fellow musician out on his luck and thought he'd come back for it but I have not seen hide or hair of him since. So it's mine. It has the diamonds on the frets and the signature on the neck and inside also with 1127-4 the signature and M-293 below his name which is in red ink, on a 3x4 piece of paper glued at the bottom of the inside bowl. It has the original case it came with. One thing is that how do I get the back to shine like that one? I didn't know it could take a shine like that, or I'd of done it long time ago. That guy was right, it is a feeling , but not an orgasim, but very close to a woman, all depends how you strum her. I have used a Lawrence pickup on it and put it threw the paces and she responds like a BMW doing all you it to do. Also have an old Fender acoustic that is one of my other favs but can only play one at a time. It's smaller than the GC but has as nice a sound.
Tommy Darensbourg
Posted 2002-07-08 12:24 AM (#343899 - in reply to #343872)

Gizz, I've sent you a private email. Thanks for posting in the Fan Club, man!
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-08 12:58 AM (#343900 - in reply to #343872)

Tommy, Now if I can find it I can read it. I'm new at this. By the way I'm getting the prints and a CD with the pics by Tuesday.
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-08 5:33 AM (#343901 - in reply to #343872)

Yeah Tommy, sorry about your E-mail getting bounced back. Seems like every time I open it I get jumped on by every girl out there wanting me to see them on their brand new camcorder. Gzzzzz if it was free, like it usually is for us musicians, I would. Any messages would have to be on here please. They're waiting like flies out there. Britney CALL ME !! I'll let YU in :cool:

[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: Gizz ]
Tommy Darensbourg
Posted 2002-07-10 1:03 AM (#343902 - in reply to #343872)

Hi, Gizz and Norseman:

The blessed event finally occurred Tuesday, July 9th. My vintage Legend 1617-4 finally arrived, and am I quite pleased with it. In mint condition, just as Alpep promised. All I need to do is adjust the action (the two "E" strings are too low) and fix the volume knob and put in a new battery for the pickup. I'll also put in a metal "thingie" for where I want my guitar strap to go at the bottom of the neck where it joins the deep bowl. Alpep, the seller, is great to work with, a conscientious businessman with good attitude and obvious stewardship and care for the guitars in his impressive inventory. He threw in a set of strings and was kind enough to call Ovation for a few parts I needed to bring this guitar to my just-about-complete satisfaction! He is great to talk (and email) with. I'm sure this won't be my last purchase from him.

Thanks, Alpep. (You may take your bow now!)

Now there's a nylon-string Country Artist on e-bay I'm seriously considering bidding on.

:cool:
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-10 5:58 AM (#343903 - in reply to #343872)

Hey Tommy, I don't know what it is, but I have never been a fan of nylon strings. I just can't feel nor hear the sound I want from them. Maybe you can but I like the real thing. Must be the Rock&Roll in me. :cool:
alpep
Posted 2002-07-10 8:32 AM (#343904 - in reply to #343872)

Tommy
it is always a pleasure when the right guitar gets in the hands of the right person.
enjoy
Norseman1
Posted 2002-07-10 8:56 AM (#343905 - in reply to #343872)

Congrats Tommy, I wish you years of happiness with your Ovation. Actually, making the minor repairs, helps develop that relationship with your new friend doesn't it!

Norse(kinda like when you were a kid, and took care of that robins broken wing)man1
tdarensbourg
Posted 2002-07-10 12:37 PM (#343906 - in reply to #343872)

Gizz Man:
Actually, I like steel-strings for strumming and some light fingerpicking. The nylon-strings I prefer for more fingerpicking than strumming. And I like Rock n' Roll almost as much as you do, though I'm really into love songs and ballads. I hate Rap, too.
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-10 1:05 PM (#343907 - in reply to #343872)

Hey Tommy - Don't think I have EVER seen a Wapper Wrapper whatsoever play an Ovation yet - just yell crap I can't understand. Any way, I must confess that my older brother does have nylon bass strings on his Gibson EB2 hollow body bass. It's exactly like the one Bill Wyman used in the early Rolling Stones days. I use that little Steinburg on my home page still. I call it the "little Red Corvet" no relations to Prince - or whatever the Hoto calls itself now. It's your toy brother, Do it any way you want to. You want to pour liter fluid on it and torch it on stage, it's yours not mine. Just don't put no barb wire strings on it. They hurt a bit. :D

[ July 10, 2002: Message edited by: Gizz ]
noiret
Posted 2002-08-11 9:14 PM (#343908 - in reply to #343872)

I was an asst. engineer at the popular independent
hollywood recording studio Paramount Recording in
about 1970-1 or so.
Precisely because the 1117-4 legend had both a
rather attractive acoustic sound and lacked a booming bass it became one of the most popular recording acoustic guitars of that era and was seen on session after session all over the music industry. The instrument recorded superbly and
this certainly must have contributed to the huge reputation Ovation gathered during that time.
So.. to say that the 1117-4 early model is not
desireable is to turn ones back on one of the acknowleged great recording acoustics of the
golden age of music in the modern era. Its a very
valuable contributor to the music scene precisely
because of its unique timbre and sonority.
I won't deny the appeal of later models but that
early Ovation was like honey to the engineer. It recorded so well! It has always been difficult to
record something like a big Taylor or Martin when in a pop ensemble because it is difficult to control the booming bass. In bluegrass it is the rhythm instrument and thats fine. Other qualities are needed to record an acoustic guitar appropriately in a pop ensemble environment and Ive seen the struggle to achieve success with that task often. The early Ovations were a great contributor to the solution.
Michael G. Kramer
Tommy Darensbourg
Posted 2002-08-11 11:18 PM (#343909 - in reply to #343872)

Mr. Kramer,

Great to have you onboard this club -- and thanks for validating the legitimacy and obvious sound/tone qualities of the early-model 1117 Legend. As a Legend owner, I have to agree with you!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)