The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Is this a Glenn Cambell model

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

tweedndeed
Posted 2002-08-29 3:53 AM (#343691)
Subject: Is this a Glenn Cambell model

Hi I'm new to this board and have a question about my Ovation. The model # on my guitar is 1667 and from the information I have read it would indicate its a Glenn Cambell model guitar. Is this true because I still think its a Legend. Its a deep bowl cutaway serial # 266117 natural finish. How old is it? Im guessing its in the early 80's

Tweed

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: tweedndeed ]
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OGL1
Posted 2002-08-29 9:44 AM (#343692 - in reply to #343691)
Subject: Re: Is this a Glenn Cambell model

It is a Legend, made in 1982. See item #65
at Alpep's site www.LostArtVintage.com
:)

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: OGL1 ]
tweedndeed
Posted 2002-08-29 11:14 AM (#343693 - in reply to #343691)

Thanks for the quick response. What year did Ovation stop making the Glenn Cambell model? Have you ever done a refrett job on one of these guitars? Have you ever heard of anyone having the Buzz Feitian tuning system on an Ovation?

Bill
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-08-29 11:47 AM (#343694 - in reply to #343691)

I think the Glen Cambell models left the line around '83/84. I'm not sure it's worth going to the expense & hassle of the Feinten tuning system, which is partially, though not entirely, Snake Oil. Many luthiers question the validity of the patent he's been granted (or about to be granted) as they all have their variations of it, or little tricks which they've been doing for years. For example, placing the nut slightly closer to the first fret improves intonation in the lower positions. Remember that just temperament means that fretted instruments can never be exactly in tune at every fret position, in every key, though fresh strings & a good set-up helps. As long as you aren't noticing severe intonation problems I'd leave it be.

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
tweedndeed
Posted 2002-09-02 2:32 AM (#343695 - in reply to #343691)

Equal temperment is the standard method for setting intonation. Thats the system we have always used when laying out fret placement for the guitar, to make the pitch of every note equidistant from every other note. Equal temperment on a guitar exhibits the same problems as it does on a piano-some chords are in and some chords are out.

Another type of intonation is the "mean tone" or "just" intonation, whereby you tune the guitar to a specific chord or key, and typicly a chord tuned that way will exibit a 3rd that is 9 cents flat.

The reason why temperment works on a piano and a guitar is because the ear is very forgiving to pitch adjustment of the so called perfect intervalls-ie 4ths, 5ths, and octaves. However the ear will not tolerate the slightest bit of sharpness in 3rd, 6ths, or 10th ( the imperfect intervalls) Piano tuners figured hundreds of years ago that stringed instruments must be tempered in order to play pleasantly in tune regardless of key and regardless of chord shape. Piano tuners borrow pitch from 4th, 5ths, and octaves to sweeten up 3rds, 6ths, and 10ths, and that is what the Buzz Feiten tuning system does.

Tweed
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-09-02 5:58 AM (#343696 - in reply to #343691)

Tweed, you are of course, absoluetly correct, I meant to say in equal tempered tuning every fret in every key etc etc.

Paul
Beal
Posted 2002-09-02 9:00 PM (#343697 - in reply to #343691)

I'd much rather listen to Buzzy Fieten play than think about his "tuning" system.
tweedndeed
Posted 2002-09-04 12:41 PM (#343698 - in reply to #343691)

I wonder if he uses Ovations? To install this system on an Ovation or any acoustic would probably be difficult if not impossibe because there are no individual saddles to adjust. I do have to get my Legend a new fret job there very worn. Any idea how much it would cost?

Tweed
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-09-04 1:56 PM (#343699 - in reply to #343691)

It's not essential to have individually adjustable saddles, fret & nut placement also plays a part. Wasburn, Garrison & a few other manufacturers are using the system on acoustic instruments. Thee's bound to be a Fietan website where you could check costs.

Paul
tweedndeed
Posted 2002-09-05 1:16 AM (#343700 - in reply to #343691)

I've checked with a few guitar stores that are allowed to do this job and its around $200 for an electric. They sort of discouraged me from doing it to an acoustic. I think because its harder to do and if you mess up on an acoustic there is no fixin it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)