Error encountered in: \\fs1-n02\stor2wc1dfw1\397573\426710\www.ovationfanclub.com\web\content\megabbs\templates\ovationfanclub\fragments\message.asp
Microsoft VBScript runtime error - Type mismatch
Viewing a thread - looking to buy an Adamas 1587 or similar

The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
looking to buy an Adamas 1587 or similar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

cliff
Posted 2002-12-18 9:41 AM (#343492 - in reply to #343467)
Subject: Re: looking to buy an Adamas 1587 or similar

Lighten up!

If the kid's good enough for both David Lindley and Adrian Legg to vouch for her, she's obviously no slacker!!

Besides, with the money that Ovation's NOT spending on their's and Adamas' webpage, even GIVING an Adamas to someone who's giving their product some exposure on a professional level in a prominent NYC venue would be money well spent/given away! They need whatever exposure they can GET on the US/Adamas models, and establishing a relationship with a potentially up and coming artist is a wise investment!

Has anybody noticed that BonPhony's Richie Sambuca is NOT playing O's anymore? I recently read in an article where Gibson ". . .persued me and offered me a really GREAT deal! . ."
You can probably see the new RS Signature Model acoustic debuted when they lip-synch this year's SuperBowl!

Go get 'em, Kaki!!!

[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: cliff ]
Top of the page Bottom of the page
popcritic
Posted 2002-12-18 10:30 AM (#343493 - in reply to #343467)

Sunny, I appreciate your kind remark about me. Parents always appreciate a little positive feedback, mainly because it's so seldom sent our way!

Let me try to address the questions that you raised. First of all, Kaki is an adult person (23), with a manager, a record label, and booking agency. So, from the get-go, I'm really not in the loop as far as her career is concerned. That's her business, and that's as it should be. True enough, she and I are friends, but she only occasionally consults me about career moves, etc. However, the loss of a magnificent guitar (I gave it to her when she was still in high school), of necessity brought me into the picture.

What Ovation is doing for her this weekend by furnishing a "loaner" instrument is by no means a long-term fix for the problem. The bottom line is--she really needs a deep bowl cutaway to fully express her technique. You'll just have to hear her CD or go see her live to understand what I mean.

What was that great Joni Mitchell line? "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone." Well, both Kaki and I thought that her guitar was a 1587. I am indebted to Mike Bross who correctly identified it as an Adamas II 1581-7. Either way, you are completely correct in suggesting that Al be consulted. She intends to contact him as well as other vendors of vintage instruments (not to mention private owners, e-bay, NYC shops, etc.).

What I haven't mentioned before now is that she can probably go for quite a long time on the college graduation present I gave her last year. In 1994, I bought a new Taylor 710, intending that it be my "lifetime guitar". Six months later, I developed a form of rheumatoid arthritis, and my playing days were over. Eight years ago, Kaki was 15 years old, and already demonstrated skill with both electric and acoustic guitars. So I decided to keep the Taylor, and offer to give it to her when and if she graduated from college (any college).

I transferred possession and legal ownership to her in October 2001. She actually used it on her DIY CD--although most of it was on the Adamas. Fortunately, the Taylor was somewhere else when her flat in Brooklyn was burglarized. Certainly her preference is Adamas for recording and performing, but having the Taylor will give her the luxury of taking her time and really shopping around for something that exactly fits her needs.

Well I apologize for saying a whole lot more than I intended to when I started dictating this reply (because of the arthritis, I use voice recognition software). Speaking of voice recognition, I highly recommend it to all of you who may be prone to repetitive stress injury, carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis, and many other ailments guitarists may face over the course of a lifetime. These keyboards and mice are slowly killing us!

Finally, I thank you one and all for your informed judgments and insights on the subject matter of the "lost guitar".

Happy Holidays to all of you and your families.

David King
spider
Posted 2003-01-02 10:49 AM (#343494 - in reply to #343467)

Some body let me know how can I contact the owner of LostArt. :(
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-01-02 11:38 AM (#343495 - in reply to #343467)

That would be Al on this board. Look for one of his posts and send him an email.
cliff
Posted 2003-01-02 1:40 PM (#343496 - in reply to #343467)

That would be "Alpep" on this board.
alpep
Posted 2003-01-03 7:38 AM (#343497 - in reply to #343467)

here I am
spider
Posted 2003-01-04 4:50 AM (#343498 - in reply to #343467)

Thanx, moody, cllif and AL.
popcritic
Posted 2003-01-16 3:48 PM (#343499 - in reply to #343467)

Many of you have expressed an interest in how the problem of Kaki's stolen guitar turned out. Well, let me tell you how GREAT the Ovation Company really is. They have made a replacement for her, and she is back in business. Her first gig with the new instrument was for a charity event last week at the Bottom Line in NYC.

I still don't have much detail on who was involved and how it all happened, but basically she feels that some sort of miracle has occurred. And for all I know, people at the factory knew something about the situation from looking at the postings on this wonderful fan club website which Miles and Al created last year.

The guitar that was stolen was an "old" Adamas II 1581-7 (deep bowl cutaway, single epaulet, two knob). The Ovation Company made her a modern Adamas II 1581-7 (deep bowl cutaway, dual epaulets, modern electronics). She says it is virtually identical to the one she had.

What all this says to me is that the company really cares about the young artists who are out there on stage playing their guitars.

As soon as I get a digital picture suitable for posting, I'll upload it into the Members Gallery.

David King

Posted 2003-01-17 12:12 PM (#343500 - in reply to #343467)
Bluebird
Posted 2003-01-17 3:59 PM (#343501 - in reply to #343467)

"Did she sleep with anyone in Kaman co?"

She doesn’t have to, with her talent. Maybe that approach would work better for you.
musicamex
Posted 2003-01-17 6:56 PM (#343502 - in reply to #343467)

popcritic----please tell me more about voice recognition software and which you found the best. thanks
popcritic
Posted 2003-01-18 1:37 PM (#343503 - in reply to #343467)

Russ, I'm no expert on voice recognition technology, but for several years I have been using the Dragon NaturallySpeaking system. I'm presently running Version 4.0 Preferred, but later versions are out there including the newest-- Version 6. Here's an Internet vendor that you should look at:

http://www.scansoft.com/naturallyspeaking

To say that I am thrilled about the program would be an understatement. I have to thank my wonderful wife who began researching commercial voice recognition programs just after I developed arthritis. The first versions were very slow, made a lot of mistakes, and in general were "not ready for prime time". All that changed when Version 3 was introduced about four years ago. It really rocked my world--suddenly I was able to dictate with speed and accuracy, edit and format, cut and paste... in fact I could voice-control any Windows-based program, including surfing the Internet by voice with Internet Explorer 5 and above.

I haven't bought anything from ScanSoft, but I certainly think it's got a lot of useful information about Dragon and hardware system compatibilities required to run the program successfully.

Just like Joe Bob said, "Check it out".

Best regards.

Dave King
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)