The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
GP Wanted

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Embers
Posted 2003-07-08 3:00 PM (#342821)
Subject: GP Wanted

Its been a while so i thought i would ask again really want an ultra GP is any body willing to sell. Will to pay a fitting price.

Ben :D
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ickygoo
Posted 2003-07-12 8:40 PM (#342822 - in reply to #342821)
Subject: Re: GP Wanted

Yeah me too (after Embers of course). I'm looking for a honeyburst mostly but I'll take whatever comes along.
andi
Posted 2003-07-13 3:46 PM (#342823 - in reply to #342821)

Here, me too. I'm trying to track one down for over 4 years now :( Black would be best, but any color that comes along is ok.

Tnx!!
ickygoo
Posted 2003-07-14 7:05 PM (#342824 - in reply to #342821)

Hey all. There's a wine GP on e-bay right now. Got an opening bid of $1,700 and a 'Buy It Now' of $2,000. I've already got a wine one and truthfully, it's not my favorite color. But here it is none the less.

GP auction
andi
Posted 2003-07-15 6:12 AM (#342825 - in reply to #342821)

Hey ickygoo,

thanks for the link. Unfortunately the guy will not ship to an APO address :( ( Also the price is a bit high (at least for the color ;) ). So I guess I'm back to waiting and searching...

Maybe it's the one for Embers.

Thanks anyway!
Andi
s_mkheidze
Posted 2003-07-15 6:47 AM (#342826 - in reply to #342821)

yeah, and he wants 2000$ and the bidding starts at 1700. that is just rediculous! I got mine for 455$. anyways good luck to you guys, it is the best instrument ever created.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-07-15 8:29 PM (#342827 - in reply to #342821)

I would qualify that by saying the GP is among the best $400 guitars ever created. Some idiot will probably give this guy his $2K. The GP's are alright, but they ain't worth what they're fetching.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-07-15 9:03 PM (#342828 - in reply to #342821)

I guess with anything it's supply and demand and the last few (at least 6 I know of) on eBay and off eBay have all sold for between 1600 and 2500. I have looked at mine closely, and although there are better built guitars out there, the GP can hold its own with the best of them. It does not look or feel like any $400 guitar out there. Frankly I really don't know how they made them so inexpensive originally. I guess it's all in the assembly which I understand was in the US. I've had three so far, and couldn't find a workmanship flaw anywhere. And for some reason, they don't sound exactly like you'd expect a quite standard looking two humbucker guitar to sound. Maybe it's the combination of the bridge and pickups and overall weight, I really don't know, but for playability it's closer to a Hamer or BC Rich than to a . I think what surprises me the most, is that of the three I have had, they all played identical. Really really low action with NO string buzz, and perfect intonation. I am as baffled as anyone cause years ago I kinda wrote them off as a cheap import... but the retail was nearly $600 in '85 which is pretty steep in those days. Guess it was just overlooked then.
s_mkheidze
Posted 2003-07-16 9:14 PM (#342829 - in reply to #342821)

I cant see how this instrument, as amazing as it is, could fetch 2k. The only market that exists for it are a bunch of Josh Homme wannabes who have done nothing but jack up the prices so that collectors such as ourselves cant logically put down the money for them. I dont know, guess I am a little bitter that I may never get my 2nd GP. It still sucks anyways.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-07-16 10:11 PM (#342830 - in reply to #342821)

Then be calm. Things will settle down.
s_mkheidze
Posted 2003-07-17 8:00 AM (#342831 - in reply to #342821)

yes....being calm....wow I do feel better ;)
thanks dude!
ickygoo
Posted 2003-07-17 2:06 PM (#342832 - in reply to #342821)

First off I'd like to say that GP's are worth what they're fetching otherwise they wouldn't be going for that much. Simple economics kids, the market will only support what the buyer can bear. Supply and demand, etc. I've paid as little as $500 for a GP and close to $2000 for one. I've owned 5 and for what I want and what I do I've yet to find a better guitar. $2000 seems a little steep for the one on e-Bay right now, but then again wine is my least favorite color. Moral of my story, who cares if they're going for a lot of money? They're good guitars and if there were a lot of them that any jackass with a couple of hundred bucks could buy, then what would be so special about them?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-07-17 2:19 PM (#342833 - in reply to #342821)

I agree somewhat with the above point of view. The market determines the price of any commodity. Right now, GP's are going for a lot of money. But I suspect that the price will come down when the artist who plays them cools off. Maybe he won't cool off and maybe the price will stay high. Who knows.

But price moves around with demand and supply. I've got a friend, who 20 years ago bought a nice house in Denver for $250K. 5 years later, he couldn't get $175K for it. Both were fair market prices for the times.

As I said before, patience.
ickygoo
Posted 2003-07-17 5:31 PM (#342834 - in reply to #342821)

Ahhh houses, guitars, and cars - all things that have truly subjective prices. From what I've heard GP's were being sold around the $1,600 range well before QOTSA became somewhat of a household name. Well, that is if the people who had them knew what they were. You could argue that it was the O.G. cult Kyuss and QOTSA fans that drove the price up, but I think not. Now a days it's pretty difficult thanks to e-Bay and the Queens to find a GP for $300, but it has happened and not that long ago. Simple math of it is that GP’s are rare and collectable - two great tastes that go great together…for a seller. Paul's right, it's all about patience. That goes for any collector of anything though.
Big Beat
Posted 2003-07-28 2:06 PM (#342835 - in reply to #342821)

Hello,
can somebody please explain who the heck is Josh Homme and why does everyone seem to want an Ovation GP these days? What's so special about these guitars that makes them so desirable all of a sudden? Surely they cannot be worth more than a Les Paul?
alpep
Posted 2003-07-28 2:35 PM (#342836 - in reply to #342821)

Josh is a guitarist for a band called queens of the new stone age.
Everything is worth what you want to pay for it. there is another thread on the bulleting board look that one up it has some good comments about the gp on it
Big Beat
Posted 2003-07-28 7:24 PM (#342837 - in reply to #342821)

Al, thanks for clearing that up. I haven't heard of that band before. So I understand that a young hot shot started out using an off-beat guitar because he could get it cheap, and now every wannabe wants it, which makes it worth more than the guy would ever have paid for it in the first place. And now every opportunist will crawl out of the woodwork demanding crazy inflated prices for this model. Another flavor of the week pricing trend, same as what happened to the Univox Hi-Flyer courtesy of Curt Cobain. Do I have the situation pretty much summed up?

It's so ironic. All it took was for one famous player to discover something that I've known all along. When I bought my GP in '86, the music store clerk actually laughed at me for wanting a "Partridge Family guitar". My baby was priced cheaper than a Squier and they were anxious to be rid of it, it was so uncool at the time. Sure is nice to be vindicated after all these years.

Big Beat, proud owner and champion of the Ultra GP since 1986. :)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-07-28 11:28 PM (#342838 - in reply to #342821)

If you only knew how much he paid for his guitars and then to have them modified to have the strings through the body. Also, FYI, Josh Homme has been around since about 1988. He's had a revolving door band of some decent players for many years. I only learned of him recently, and kinda wondered why he's been hiding. Good music and a good egg from all accounts I have heard. I guess he plays an Ovation, he can't be all bad.
ickygoo
Posted 2003-07-28 11:41 PM (#342839 - in reply to #342821)

Okay now you're treading into my teritory here. First of the band is called Queens of the Stone Age. Before that Josh had a band called Kyuss. He's played a GP all along since he was 11 I think. He bought it in a pawnshop in Idaho; it was either that or a banjo. Cost $100. He's claimed that it is a huge part of the sound that is Kyuss and Queens. He's also bought a few at a very high price, well before you never heard of him. And this crap about every wannabe trying to get one is just plain silly. It's a cool, rare guitar. People paid a lot of money for them before Josh was famous. Now does that mean that everybody who wants a GP is a Josh Homme wannabe? That's pretty fuzzy logic. Does that mean that everybody who plays a Strat wants to be Jimi Hendrix? Or everyone who plays a Les Paul wants to be Les Paul or Jimmie Page? Hmmmmmm...I think not. You find out about shit in different ways. I found out about the GP because of Kyuss and Queens. Looked like a cool guitar. Never seen anything like it before. So eventually I got one. It took a few years, but I did it. I really liked it, so now I own a few of them. Sure there are people who want it just because of Josh, I?ll give you that. But you can?t say he?s the only reason the guitar has some value. Don't be so quick to judge, especially about things you know very little about. It's the mark of a young mind or an old mindset.
Big Beat
Posted 2003-07-29 12:02 AM (#342840 - in reply to #342821)

Ickygoo,

don't take it personally, you've read more into my words than I intended. A bunch of wannabes seem to have driven up the price recently, as I have just learned to my shock, but the GP has ALWAYS been a cool guitar. It just wasn't ever desirable by the vast majority of guitarists. No, not everyone who wants a GP is a wannabe.
Nothing against the Queens or Mr. Homme, either. I'm feeling rather sarcastic about the situation, but I won't presume to judge a player I haven't even heard yet. See my post in the general section.
joshpreston
Posted 2003-07-29 12:17 AM (#342841 - in reply to #342821)

Hey hey, I got some rather unsettling news about a GP today from my friend over in Seattle. He picked up a black GP for 100 bucks from some guy trying to sell it to Guitar Center. There's still hoep to find them at reasonable (or ridiculously low) prices! Don't give up, I still haven't.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-07-29 2:41 AM (#342842 - in reply to #342821)

The fact is, that given the materials & build quality, which are exceptional for a Korean guitar with a list price of around $400 when new, they should be fetching $500-600 maximum, even given the JH connection. The UK11 is a far superior guitar & struggles to fetch $400.
I paid £160 for a GP recently and traded it for an early 70's Martin D18 & a recent Gibson J45, which I sold for over £2K (over $3000 US) Madness, total madness.
innerman
Posted 2003-07-29 7:58 AM (#342843 - in reply to #342821)

Ick...ask yourself these questions:

Do you think the price would have risen to this level if Josh Homme had never played one?

Do you think the value would tank if he started playing something else, like a Guild or something?

To me, the answers are definitely "no" and "yes".

Keep in mind that in the No One Knows video he has a different guitar - no sign of the GP.

Without Homme, the GP would sell in the same range as Bwinners and Deacons - around $400 or $500 with an occasional rare spike to $750. It would be ridiculous to think they would sell for $1500-$1800 without Homme.

To say that the guitar stands alone and would retain its value without Homme is to reveal an inner fear of being one of the sheep.

Good guitars - I look forward to having one in a few years for $400 when the Homme disciples dump theirs.
andi
Posted 2003-07-29 10:51 AM (#342844 - in reply to #342821)

Rationally I think the GP has only two qualities that makes them a valuable gutiar:

1: it's playability and relaiabilty
2: it's rare

I want one because of 1. 2 is a obstacle in getting one ;) I mean in sense of quality, wood, etc. it's not worth 2000 bucks or so (at least not for me). I also want one because it was my first guitar and it played so nice. I dumbass selled it because I "needed" a high-end metal-axe at this time :( (that was at the time I wanted a guitar because it looks good ;) ). But I never found guitar playing so nice. Actually I don't care who also plays a GP, because It must fit to me, to my style and and not to anybody elses.

I currently play a Ibanez Artist 300 from the early 80ties. A very, very nice guitar too. You must instantly fell in love with the guitar when you grab it for the first time. And that's what happend to the Artist and the GP.

Anyway, I think intermetroman is right. Josh Homme and because the guitar is so rare makes them so pricy. I think if he'd not use it, the price would also be around 700-1000, just because it's so rare. But 1500-2000 bucks, hell, that's just sick.

I think things will calm down soon when all the kiddies realize that it's not the right guitar for them. don't blame them - everybody had phases like this in the youth, including me (at least i don't know much excpetions).

Andi
ickygoo
Posted 2003-07-29 12:01 PM (#342845 - in reply to #342821)

Scott / intermetroman

To answer your questions and statements

Do you think the price would have risen to this level if Josh Homme had never played one?

Right now I would say that they are at an all time high because of the Queens exposure, but people paid a large amount for them well before that. That is if the seller knew what he was selling. Previously a lot of buyers and sellers weren't aware of the rareness of the guitar and some people (like me) got to reap the benefits.

Do you think the value would tank if he started playing something else, like a Guild or something?

Well he does play other guitars and they haven't skyrocketed in price. Are people paying a lot of money for Gibson Marauders? Nope. Are Maton electric guitars the new 'it' guitar to have in outside of Australia? Nope. Are Epiphone Dot 335's in ultra high demand? Nope. So if Josh has the Midas touch, why aren't these guitars worth alot? Hmmm...maybe because they aren't rare and collectable (slight exception with Matons). And while several of the other ovation solidbodies are great guitars, they weren't made in the limited numbers that the GP was. Collecting 101 limited availability = $$$.

It would be ridiculous to think they would sell for $1500-$1800 without Homme.

Nope, they sold for about that in certain circles pre-Queens.

To say that the guitar stands alone and would retain its value without Homme is to reveal an inner fear of being one of the sheep.

Are you flirting with me? Sorry man, I'm straight. But nice try with the Jedi "I can read your mind" shit. Disagree with me all you want, but I think calling me names in a passive aggressive way is a little silly.

If you can pick up a GP for $400, more power to ya. I did that once. I've also paid alot for a GP. Heck I even started a thread on are GP's worth what they're going for. Who cares? They're cool guitars, get one if you can. If not oh well there's hundreds of cool guitars out there. And this whole I'll get 'em when the Queens are all washed up stuff sound like sour grapes to me. It's like you want all Ovation guitars to be fetching high prices and you're pissed off that the GP is and the others aren't. I'm not saying that's definitely what it is, but it's what it sounds like.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)