The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Why laminated Koa?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-07-10 12:05 AM (#342809)
Subject: Why laminated Koa?

I have been following the discusion about the koa top Elites being laminated. Why is this? Other guitar makers have koa instruments that have solid koa tops? Just wondering why Ovation has a laminated top on these guitars?.....Paul Hebert
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-07-10 6:58 AM (#342810 - in reply to #342809)
Subject: Re: Why laminated Koa?

Apparantly the reason some of the exotic-topped Elites are laminated is for stability, highy figured non-traditional top woods such as Bubinga may not be strong enough in their native form. The only problem with Koa is that the highly-figured flamey stuff has a tendency to split when bent, which is hardly a factor when used for a top. I guess it has to be a price issue. The premium lumber is not cheap. Koa is pretty rare, it only grows in Hawaii. Stocks were decimated during the Ukulele boom of the 30's & again to a lesser degree in the 50's. In the 80's Koa-panneled kitchens were de riguer for Californian yuppies, so there's not a lot of good, stable, pretty Koa left for instrument makers. Builders & customers will pay top-dollar for highly figured Koa. No-one makes inexpensive Koa guitars.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-07-10 9:39 AM (#342811 - in reply to #342809)

I resent that remark. I live in California and my kitchen was never done in koa. However my bathroom and the sides and top of my Toyota Camry are laminated in koa.

Get your facts straight!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-07-10 10:02 AM (#342812 - in reply to #342809)

"Laminated" seems to get a bad rap in general, and from what I understand, laminating actually makes a more consistant sounding and sturdy top.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-07-10 10:33 AM (#342813 - in reply to #342809)

Consistency and sturdiness are good qualities to have in a guitar, esspecially moderately priced instruments. However most people would aggree that a top made from solid timbers sounds "better" than a laminated top (Adamas zealots please be aware that we're talking wood here) and continues to develop as the guitar is played, which does not happen with laminates. Also if a solid top gets damaged it can usually be repaired succsesfully. You can pretty much forget reparing plywood.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-07-10 11:11 AM (#342814 - in reply to #342809)

Paul T, as always thanks for the good information....Paul Hebert
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-07-10 11:17 PM (#342815 - in reply to #342809)

The Hamer Mirage with the koa carved top is a great example of how good koa can be on a guitar. And they can be had on eBay for just about a song.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)