The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Wanted!! Multi Sound Hole Bass

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

weeksuk
Posted 2003-09-18 6:30 AM (#342494)
Subject: Wanted!! Multi Sound Hole Bass

Help,

i live in the UK and i am trying to get a multi sound hole bass, apparantly not sold in the uk. Can anyone help

Thanks

Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-09-18 11:36 AM (#342495 - in reply to #342494)
Subject: Re: Wanted!! Multi Sound Hole Bass

The only Elite-style bass currently made is the B778 & it appears that you are right and JHS, the UK distributor only import the centre-hole Celeb basses. You could try emailing JHS and get them to order a B778. Or you could talk to Al.

I was in Ivor Mairants in London last weekend & I think I spotted a multihole Ovation bass in there. May have been a 5-string, I didn't pay much attention. Give them a call & ask for Mak

Viper basses crop up fairly regularly on ebay & are fantastic instruments. I got one for my bass player & even taking into account shipping, VAT & import duty I paid around £750 total.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-09-18 9:41 PM (#342496 - in reply to #342494)

Sounds like Paul T. got a good deal on the Viper bass...myself and another OFC member got Viper basses (with OHSC) from eBay within a week of each other for $520-$535 including shipping (I paid $535 but it is in perfect condition.)

Unfortunately, you are in England as this Viper is available to an OFC member that is a player for what I paid for it...bought it to collect and to avoid it going to a dealer. Auction failed and then I bought it from the seller for the price a dealer had offered him as a standing offer. Only doing this due to the fact I don't play the bass (I'm trying to learn) and I already have one. For some reason, I am having a problem keeping it if someone else can perform with it.

I'm stepping on thin ice and don't want to offend any of the great members here but there aren't many great older guitars available out there because they become part of a collection, often just kept in cases. I'll buy a great deal and cherish it but will always sell off to a player rather than keeping it as a wall ornament.
weeksuk
Posted 2003-09-19 7:38 AM (#342497 - in reply to #342494)

Tony,

i would be willing to buy this from you, would the fact that I am living in the UK be a problem? Obviously i could pay shipping charges etc?

Chris
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-09-19 10:01 AM (#342498 - in reply to #342494)

Chris,

Not a problem, just a couple of unknowns...

As I said in email, not sure what the costs (in addition to shipping) would be for you. Maybe Paul T or someone else can tell you. As to shipping costs, probably pretty easy to get depending on carrier.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-09-19 12:17 PM (#342499 - in reply to #342494)

I screwed up - already sent Chris an email.

My wife, Suzie, is working hard at learning the bass, practicing on a 4-string archtop downstairs.

When she heard that I was going to sell the Viper bass - oops.

Chris, again sorry...maybe one will come up on eBay soon.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-09-19 8:15 PM (#342500 - in reply to #342494)

Chris, shipping an instrument like this from the USA will be around £80. VAT & import duty is around 25% of the declared value. If you get the right deal it's still cheaper to buy from the USA than in the UK, despite these charges. Keep an eye on ebay or talk to Al.
weeksuk
Posted 2003-09-20 7:52 AM (#342501 - in reply to #342494)

Paul,

i am new to the board, could you point me in the right direction?

Chris
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-09-20 8:58 AM (#342502 - in reply to #342494)

Chris, Al is one of the founders of the board & deals in new & used Ovations, if anyone can find a bass for you he can, and he's quite a nice guy when he remembers to take his medication. This is the link to his site

http://www.lostartvintage.com/
Bailey
Posted 2003-09-21 2:08 AM (#342503 - in reply to #342494)

Chris

Trust Al, we all do, even those with their head in a vice in New Jersey. He, through his music mafia connections has become an official Ovation dealer, none of the rest of us can match that. We have known him for a bunch of months, and (even though we don't trust him with our wives) we do trust him on guitar situations.

Bailey (Al is saying, what is that blackity black black Bailey doing in the selling and buying feature? Looking for deals, Al)
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-09-23 11:23 AM (#342504 - in reply to #342494)

Chris,

Paul sent this URL for a Viper bass - they have one for sale for $975. Not sure if this is a hard price or if you can make offer.

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-3017.htm

Good luck,
Tony
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-09-24 11:19 PM (#342505 - in reply to #342494)

Good news on the Viper bass - Paul Wag came up with a link to elderly.com which I forwarded to Chris in UK. Chris wrote back that he bought it.

Hey, that's three Viper basses in just a couple of weeks. Too bad we can't estimate the number produced by model. Don't see them very often.
weeksuk
Posted 2003-09-26 3:46 AM (#342506 - in reply to #342494)

Thanks to everyone here, especially Tony. I have just had shipping confirmation and according to UPS it should be with me in the UK on the 29th Sept.

As soon as I receive i will let you all know.

Chris
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-09-26 9:15 AM (#342507 - in reply to #342494)

You'll enjoy it Chris. I have been playing my new Viper a lot and will break it out for an actual performance (private party gig) next Saturday.

I put some D'Addario Slowound SW3000 strings on mine.

I still need to get pics up in the gallery. Sorry I didn't chime in earlier in this thread, Tony e-mailed me, I have been flat on my back for two weeks with a distressed nerve in my lower back, OUCH :( .

About two days into the pain I got one of my step daughters to set up a guitar stand and put the Viper bass right next to the bed. So long as I was laying down, I could practice the bass. I'm up and around now, and just feeling soreness (as opposed to excruciating pain). I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to perform next Saturday, I rehearsed Wednesday night and did OK - had to sit down the whole time....

WHERE'S MY MEDICATION?? Oh there it is, OK, OK, ahhhh.... :D

By the way, my bass' serial number is 486048 and Tony's is 499477. My serial number is on a plate inside the top chamber along the neck, as opposed to the stamp on the head as Tony's is. Just would be curious as to what serial number yours is...

Congratulations and Enjoy!
cliff
Posted 2003-09-26 9:33 AM (#342508 - in reply to #342494)

Damn!!

Now I want one!!!!!
weeksuk
Posted 2003-09-27 10:26 AM (#342509 - in reply to #342494)

Paul,

as soon as i get my bass through I will let you know the Serial number, I will also get sopme pics sorted and post them for you all to enjoy.

Chris
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)