The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
NICE Prototype Breadwinner on eBay

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Michael Joseph Kramer
Posted 2004-02-02 12:00 AM (#341854)
Subject: NICE Prototype Breadwinner on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3701785571&category=33042&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

Prototype Breadwinner on eBay
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-02 12:54 AM (#341855 - in reply to #341854)
Subject: Re: NICE Prototype Breadwinner on eBay

It's a cute number, but I don't think it's a prototype. It also does not have original knobs. There were 10 "pre-production" models numbers X001 through X010, but I guess anything is possible. Maybe CWK2 has some more data than that, but it is a nice guitar in regardless.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-02 3:49 AM (#341856 - in reply to #341854)

I aggree, the pickups, plain neckplate & battery cover and position of output jack indicate a very early production guitar, it's not a prototype.
peterbright
Posted 2004-02-02 8:01 AM (#341857 - in reply to #341854)

Looks great. Would this be a good "first" Ovation solid body to pick up?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-02 10:06 AM (#341858 - in reply to #341854)

As much as I like Breadwinners & Deacons, they do not produce the "classic" guitar tones. They produce lots of very interesting & useful sounds, but they don't sound like a LP or a Strat, which I guess was part of their demise. They also don't sound good with high gain distortion, though they produce more useable clean tones than just about anything else. As a first Ovation solid you might be better off looking at a Viper, Preacher or UK2.
xbj
Posted 2004-02-02 11:59 AM (#341859 - in reply to #341854)

He's quite a salesman. First it's not a Deacon (the more expensive model) but the usual white Breadwinner, which had to have been the most common color. He knows this, because he's claiming it's a "deacon in the rare white color."

It originally did have the knobs, you can see the discoloration in the pickguard.

Also, this appears to have the "gigging frequently quick string replacement fix" gouge routed out under the bridge. It's a nice smooth router job (smoother than the one I bought) but the gap appears to be there nonetheless. This was done because according to the breadwinner manual, the only way to replace the strings was to cut all of them before you could get the bridge off. Guys who gig frequently need to change just one string during a break. (Hey, someone explain it better if you'd like, I've never done it.)

Just something to be aware of, because the job is so smooth it hardly shows up in the pictures (unlike mine which was done with a dull screwdriver !) I was painting mine blue anyway and didn't care about filling the gouge with filler.

He also claims it screams, which usually implies high volume and distortion, neither of which most guys who know say Breadwinners aren't suited for.

Looks like one of the hundreds of white breadwinners with the older pickups that have appeared so far on eBay, certainly the most common.

Les
:)
peterbright
Posted 2004-02-02 5:52 PM (#341860 - in reply to #341854)

Thanks for the info guys.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)