The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Takamine EC128 Signed by The Gatlin Brothers

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

jd5fan
Posted 2004-05-22 2:31 PM (#341148)
Subject: Takamine EC128 Signed by The Gatlin Brothers

Hello,

I have a used Takamine EC-128 Mahogany/Spruce Guitar Serial # 79120349 that was used and signed by The Award Winning Band "The Gatlin Brothers" I received this guitar in either late 1994 0r early 1995 personally from Kim Gatlin the wife of Rudy Gatlin. Kim is a friend of my former employer who is a sitting District Judge in Dallas County. Dallas Texas. Kim knew I collected autographed memorabilia and asked me if I wanted anything from the band and I answered yes" a signed guitar. I never imagined she would take me serious nor expected to receive this guitar. I am entertaining offers on this guitar, it is signed by Rudy, Larry, and Steve Gatlin. The guitar is in great condition and shows some use. It is missing a string, but otherwise it is a nice guitar. The guitar has been in my possession all these years and I am only selling because I need the space for my other items. I did an online inquiry with Orion Blue Book and they list MSRP at $850.00 and Used for $600.00 without any signatures. I will guarantee the signatures 100% and can offer a full refund if the signatures are proven to be not authentic by a bonded and certified handwriting expert. Please let me know of any questions or offers, I will also forward pictures. Thanks JD5fan[*]Takamine EC128 Signed by The Gatlin Brothers[LIST][LIST]
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-05-22 3:22 PM (#341149 - in reply to #341148)
Subject: Re: Takamine EC128 Signed by The Gatlin Brothers

And you're posting this on an Ovation board because....?
alpep
Posted 2004-05-22 4:28 PM (#341150 - in reply to #341148)

because there is not a takamine fan club.

take a ruffie moody.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-22 4:34 PM (#341151 - in reply to #341148)

My guess is because they suspect that someone here might just be intrested in the guitar. It is a Kaman Product. How do we know this guy doesn't own a Ovation or Two? He after all did take time to register.. Just something to think about.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-05-22 6:04 PM (#341152 - in reply to #341148)

Thanks guys but I knew what the Tak / Ovation connection is. I'm guessing that he might have better luck selling on ebay.

And while there is a Tak/O connection, they are pretty different guitars. It would be more tactful to get to know people here a bit better, make a few posts, feel out the situation.

When I was in college and I'd just make a massive pitch trying to get the sale, usually I'd get smacked in the face. Much better to wine/dine/and be subtle in the approach.

Of course, somebody here may be interested in the guitar and I could be all wrong.... Wouldn't be the first time.
jd5fan
Posted 2004-05-22 9:44 PM (#341153 - in reply to #341148)

Sorry for the mistake, I was directed to this site by a Kaman website. I do not know much about musical instruments just autographed memorabilia. I was lead to believe this was a site where I could sell this guitar. I do apoligize for looking dumb, and I do wish to thank those of you that stood up for me. Can anyone one tell me anything about the history of this particular model? I have searched all day it seems for info and only cameup with the Orion Blue Book site after conferring with a Takamine dealer on ebay. The dealer told me this model was discontinued and that the model that came after this sells in his store for $499.00. I was told by him this would be worth at least $900.00 with the signatures. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-05-22 10:39 PM (#341154 - in reply to #341148)

Well, looking dumb just means you fit in with the rest of us (well, me anyway). The problem is, I don't know how many people here know much about Taks.

What I would do is watch ebay for awhile and get a feel for the models. Also, there should be a Tak website. Go there and thru it, contact their customer service people. They can probably give you info on your guitar. I wouldn't count on the autographs being worth a whole lot. To the general public, autographs don't mean a lot. But you might also find any Gatlin Bros. websites. People there might be more interested.
cruster
Posted 2004-05-22 10:43 PM (#341155 - in reply to #341148)

Originally posted by jd5fan:
Sorry for the mistake, I was directed to this site by a Kaman website. I do not know much about musical instruments just autographed memorabilia. I was lead to believe this was a site where I could sell this guitar. I do apoligize for looking dumb, and I do wish to thank those of you that stood up for me. Can anyone one tell me anything about the history of this particular model? I have searched all day it seems for info and only cameup with the Orion Blue Book site after conferring with a Takamine dealer on ebay. The dealer told me this model was discontinued and that the model that came after this sells in his store for $499.00. I was told by him this would be worth at least $900.00 with the signatures. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Found the following (edited from several sources):

According to Takamine's web pages, the EC-128 has a laminated (plywood)
spruce top, laminated rosewood back and sides, and built-in pickup and
Graph-EX preamp for amplification. It is Takamine's least expensive
amplified classical guitar, and might be a good choice for performing
in subways.

Interestingly, takemine.com doesn't list the EC128 in either their current catalog, or in their archives. Yet, Fred's Music (fredsmusic.com) is listing them for $597.99. There really isn't much information around on them from what I can see.

It would seem to me that if you're as familiar with the memorabilia business as you say, you should know how much value each of those autographs adds to the underlying object (whether it's a piece of paper, a guitar or a stock photo). If you know the value of the signatures, just add it to a reasonable price for the guitar and Bob's your uncle. Then again, I know less than nothing about the memorabilia business, so maybe it's not such a seemingly simple process.

At any rate, best of luck with the sale!

(EDIT: I was going to correct my typo on the Takamine URL, but it's too danged funny. Or maybe it's just too late...)
jd5fan
Posted 2004-05-23 12:16 AM (#341156 - in reply to #341148)

Thanks to all of you that have responded and help clarify some of my questions. I have learned a great deal in the short time I have been on, You all are a good bunch of people. Thanks again for everything.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)