The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Viper vs. Viper III

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Vadim
Posted 2011-06-15 2:51 AM (#1366)
Subject: Viper vs. Viper III

Hey, guys! Please enlighten me if there is a difference between Viper and Viper III besides a middle pickup?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Vadim
Posted 2011-06-15 8:17 AM (#1367 - in reply to #1366)
Subject: Re: Viper vs. Viper III

For example between this Viper here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&r...

and this Viper III

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-70-s-Ovation-Viper-III-Electric-Guitar-...

?

Need help from OFC experts. Urgent.
stephent28
Posted 2011-06-15 11:34 AM (#1368 - in reply to #1366)

The way the switches work.
I personally always preferred the Viper 3 but others will disagree.

IMO price difference between the two should be about $100 with the black Viper priced more correctly for current times than the Viper 3.

Now all the REAL experts can chime in.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-06-15 3:51 PM (#1369 - in reply to #1366)

THe Viper III is still considered rare. Not extremely, but they don't come up that often. The difference is deeper than the switches and pickups depending on the year. Later Vipers were routed for 3 pickups, even the regular Viper, so there is a big hunk of the body missing on those from the early ones. Not sure that really matters to sustain, but it might.

In this case, it's not comparing apples and apples.. You have an early Viper III with early bridge and a natural wood. However, it looks like the pick guard is cracked and it has the original pick guard with the "Viper III" on it. It's probably from the 2nd run of these guitars else the jack would be on the end of the body not on the guard. This is assuming everything is original.

As for the Viper, it's newer and doesn't have the original knobs and has the later bridge. I prefer the earlier bridge but the later one looks cooler. Other than the knobs it looks in excellent shape with nothing a little buffing couldn't make look pristine. It also has the engraved pick guard and the early knob/switch configuration which I prefer as well.

I think the Black one is a bit of a bargain at the ending price. Especially if it comes with its original case.
Vadim
Posted 2011-06-15 5:32 PM (#1370 - in reply to #1366)

Mr.Ovation

1) How about the difference in woods (the body, neck, fretboard)?
2) What would you consider a bargain price for this Viper III?
3) Let's say you already had a regular Viper would you buy a Viper III? Is there any difference soundwise (or is it like Tele vs. Strat)?

P.S. Thank you guys for your answers.
Vadim
Posted 2011-06-15 5:46 PM (#1371 - in reply to #1366)

Mr.Ovation
You mean to say there is a rectangular hole right where a middle pickup in Viper III would be?
I wonder what they were thinking.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-06-16 2:37 AM (#1372 - in reply to #1366)

Vadim..

1) How about the difference in woods (the body, neck, fretboard)?
The woods are listed as Maple, both available with maple or ebony fretboards.

2) What would you consider a bargain price for this Viper III?
I don't speculate on such things. It's whatever the seller and the buyer think. Over the years I have seen them sell for $400 to a $1000 and everything in between all in relatively same conditions. As with all Ovations, it's all over the map.

3) Let's say you already had a regular Viper would you buy a Viper III? Is there any difference soundwise (or is it like Tele vs. Strat)?
The Viper III does have more sounds. The pickups are hotter than normal single coils of the day, so they have a bit more character. I like the simplicity of the Viper, but there are only bridge, neck or both for pickup combination. The Viper III, as it has individual switches for each pickup, has at least 7 combinations BEFORE you even start messing with the Volume and Tone controls. Due to the windings, the pickups have distinct characteristics and all useable. I would have preferred if they had a knife switch on them because live the 3-switches are not as friendly. However, in the Studio, the Viper III lets you experiment across a wide range fairly easily.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-06-16 2:39 AM (#1373 - in reply to #1366)

Originally posted by Vadim:
Mr.Ovation
You mean to say there is a rectangular hole right where a middle pickup in Viper III would be?
I wonder what they were thinking.
I'm sure (well a guess really) they were thinking rather than making Viper and Viper III bodies, just make one body that could be a Viper or a Viper III as needed.
Vadim
Posted 2011-06-16 3:59 AM (#1374 - in reply to #1366)

Mr.Ovation

Judging by your experience with Ovation solidbodies, what would you get:

1) mentioned Viper III
or
2) this black UK-II?
Of course if you already had a regular Viper :) .

I'm very interesting in your opinion regarding UK-II, its sound qualities, sound range, weight, balance etc.
Vadim
Posted 2011-06-16 6:50 AM (#1375 - in reply to #1366)

For example, here is (http://www.ovationtribute.com/Catalogues/1980_UK-II_Ovation_UK_Review/1980_UK-II_Ovation_UK_Review.html) a review where it says that the guitar is very bassy and lack treble in a humbucker mode. Please comment, UK-II owners.
Vadim
Posted 2011-06-16 7:21 AM (#1376 - in reply to #1366)

Mr. Ovation
On a related note, I've visited your website quite a long time ago and then you had an Ultra Gp marked "Not for sale". However, in one of the older Vault threads someone said that those guitars marked with "Not for sale" are actually for sale.
Help me get this straight.
stephent28
Posted 2011-06-16 12:26 PM (#1377 - in reply to #1366)

Many consider the UK2 the finest solid body ever built by Ovation.

Track down Damon and send him an email and ask him about his UK2s.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-06-16 2:48 PM (#1378 - in reply to #1366)

The UKII is overall one of the best they ever built. It was way ahead of its time. I wish I had been turned on to them earlier as that likely would have been my main player, but I really wasn't aware of it until later years. I'm sure Damon will chime in at some point. He is the poster child (ok... poster man) for everything that is right about the UKII. As far as my collection goes I need to update a little but in general those marked not for sale, are not for sale. I have been known to have been talked out of a few guitars which is where you likely read that comment.

-mkb
Damon67
Posted 2011-06-16 4:18 PM (#1379 - in reply to #1366)

Originally posted by stephent28:
Many consider the UK2 the finest solid body ever built by Ovation...
Or any other manufacturer for that matter.

I'll chime in shortly, this was just a drive-by, but in short, there is no other guitar that sounds like it, it plays and feels like a custom shop les paul (I think better actually) but is much lighter and well balanced. The sounds are the big thing though. It's superb for just about any sort of genre, the pickups clean up very well, but sit very well in a heavy metal high gain situation too.

They're amazing, I don't know how they did it, nor do I know why it hasn't been done since.

Mine was recently damaged while playing out, so I sent it back to the factory for some love. It's retired now even though it's back to it's original state. I'm not playing out with it anymore. After 30 years, she's done her duty. I'll need to replace it eventually, but with my recent move I'm just gonna hafta wait.

I will replace it though... white with the newer bridge preferably.
Damon67
Posted 2011-06-16 4:35 PM (#1380 - in reply to #1366)

Originally posted by Vadim:
For example, here is (http://www.ovationtribute.com/Catalogues/1980_UK-II_Ovation_UK_Review/1980_UK-II_Ovation_UK_Review.html) a review where it says that the guitar is very bassy and lack treble in a humbucker mode. Please comment, UK-II owners.
Somewhat agree....

I wonder what they mean by "humbucker" mode? It's always a humbucker, but it does have those little magic switches up above each pickup. It doesn't split or switch them to single coil, but it does give you more treble. Depending on what I'm needing, I have the switches set accordingly.

I'm sure one of the sound engineers here on the site can explain the pickup's properties a bit better. Mr O?

I just know they're versatile and they kick ass. I've had a good 150+ guitars float through my hands over the last few decades, and nothing's ever beat it for me. Seriously, from a utility standpoint it's pretty much unbeatable. Doubt they will ever be worth a fortune or considered collectors' items, but if you're looking for a guitar that does it all and plays like a dream, there you go.
Vadim
Posted 2011-06-17 2:22 AM (#1381 - in reply to #1366)

Originally posted by Damon67:
I just know they're versatile and they kick ass. I've had a good 150+ guitars float through my hands over the last few decades, and nothing's ever beat it for me. Seriously, from a utility standpoint it's pretty much unbeatable. Doubt they will ever be worth a fortune or considered collectors' items, but if you're looking for a guitar that does it all and plays like a dream, there you go.
How about an Ultra GP? But I guess that it's not as versatile. I'm just assuming because I never had either of them. Please, shed some light into this.
Vadim
Posted 2011-06-17 2:42 AM (#1382 - in reply to #1366)

Mr.Ovation

Suppose you already had a regular Viper and there was an opportunity to get either a Viper III or a UK-II what would you get knowning all you know about all these models?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-06-17 2:58 AM (#1383 - in reply to #1366)

JMHO, the UltraGP is somewhat of a beast of its own. It does and sounds like what a Super II Powered, set-neck guitar should. It's got some "it factor" do to Mr. Homme, but also cause it's a cool looking guitar. I think the Ovation headstock is an excellent solid-body headstock and looks much better than the "paddle" used by others. It's just a cool guitar.

The UKII on the otherhand can scream or whisper, bite or growl, pretty much at will. There are a couple of video's of Damon showing off the power of the UKII.

I love this clip... Slide, Metal Crunch, searing leads... heavy rhythms, and punchy riffs and harmonics... all out of one guitar and minimal setting changes on the fly... Pay close attention starting at 4:15 to the end... then try NOT to run out and buy a UKII or pick yours up and play it if you gots one already.

http://ovationfanclub.ning.com/video/2194223:Video:10642
Vadim
Posted 2011-06-17 3:54 AM (#1384 - in reply to #1366)

So this was Damon. Seen it on youtube yesterday. Despite the crappy mic from the laptop it sounds like Ozzy in his heyday acquired stunning guitar playing ability.

But Ultra GP is example of how a guitar should be made. Starting from a cool double-cut body shape to the super-ergonomic neck joint. I concur on the Ovation headstock. To me tit looks perfect. And judging by sounds produced by Mr.Homme it's not shabby in the sound department ;) .
Vadim
Posted 2011-06-17 4:05 AM (#1385 - in reply to #1366)

So this was Damon. Seen it on youtube yesterday. Despite the crappy mic from the laptop it sounds like Ozzy in his heyday suddenly acquired stunning guitar playing ability.

But Ultra GP is an example of how a guitar should be made. Starting from a cool double-cut body shape to the super-ergonomic neck joint. I concur on the Ovation headstock. To me tit looks perfect. And judging by sounds produced by Mr.Homme it's not shabby in the sound department ;) .
Damon67
Posted 2011-06-17 4:25 AM (#1386 - in reply to #1366)

I miss that amp too.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-06-17 2:13 PM (#1387 - in reply to #1366)

Damon... you got rid of the X100b? :(
MWoody
Posted 2011-06-17 3:49 PM (#1388 - in reply to #1366)

If you are not hung up on original only there are several ways to get what you want...

Damon67
Posted 2011-06-17 7:06 PM (#1389 - in reply to #1366)

Originally posted by Mr. Ovation:
Damon... you got rid of the X100b? :(
Yeah, quite a while ago due to space constraints. Now I have the space.

I do have a Bel Air though. Not the same, but a great little amp too.
Vadim
Posted 2011-06-18 3:45 AM (#1390 - in reply to #1366)

Viper owners!
How do you think will a regular Viper sound good through 60's Ampeg Reverberocket?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)