The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
ovation elites query

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

iloveroundbackguitars
Posted 2011-07-25 3:46 PM (#1161)
Subject: ovation elites query

ive just decided to buy a used ovation guitar (due to a shortage of funds, and have decided on an elite as they seem to have the best balance of low price with high quality.I have found it hard to find any unbiased reviews, so, My question is- should i get an elite, an elite "standard" (whatever that is), or an elite T, or even the new elite "d scale". Any kind of guidance here would be helpful especially as to whether the older range of elites (with two sets of wood inlayed soundholes), or the new Elite T series ( simple black/grey finish with only bass side soundholes) is better?And anyone know anything about how good the elite T d-scale is? Thanks a lot :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2011-07-25 4:38 PM (#1162 - in reply to #1161)
Subject: Re: ovation elites query

How much money are you looking to spend? Going to use it on stage or just at home?
iloveroundbackguitars
Posted 2011-07-25 5:24 PM (#1163 - in reply to #1161)

£450 pounds (650 dollars) was my guideline, but that could be stretched if I find a really good deal- from what ive seen on ebay i could afford an elite T without much trouble, but i would probably go for a different elite (one of the inlaid wood ones with 2 sets of soundholes) if they are considered to be substantially better, which is what i need to find out. It would be in addition to another acoustic guitar i already own, mainly to have two different sounds available to me and to help with tunings etc- but i may well gig with it. :)
timiko
Posted 2011-07-26 2:32 AM (#1164 - in reply to #1161)

I just sold a standard elite 6868ax in black today. it is a super shallow bowl sound holes on both sides. I have to say I am going to miss it. a very nice guitar for the money. had a wonderful voice unplugged with alot more volume than I had thought possible from a super shallow. and it sounded great plugged in.they sale for $799 new but I picked it up for $420 and it was only 8 months old and hardly played. hope this helps and good luck!
Damon67
Posted 2011-07-26 1:02 PM (#1165 - in reply to #1161)

ILRG, the Elite Ts are great guitars. I prefer the 2 sides on the sound-holes, but I know there are others that like the single eppies.

The next decision is the bowl. I currently have 3 contour bowls and love 'em, as a matter of fact, I do not own a shallow or mid bowl anymore. All are deep or contour. The mids have great tone, they just seem to lack the volume if I'm playing (acoustically)with others.

If you can find a good deal on a LX, do it. The Ts are good too.

I can't give you an answer on the "D" models as I haven't played any, but it definately wouldn't be my first choice just for the fact that I think a normal scale guitar plays more friendly with others. A Longneck is indeed on my radar now, but it'll be kinda like a 12 string, played on occasion when it's needed.
iloveroundbackguitars
Posted 2011-07-26 2:21 PM (#1166 - in reply to #1161)

thanks a lot - this helped :)

Think ill go for an elite T - not much compromise in quality but cheaper on ebay. I'm looking for a more bass-y guitar sound anyway. :)
standing
Posted 2011-07-26 4:10 PM (#1167 - in reply to #1161)

ILRG

You should be aware of the differences between USA-made Elite Ts and (I believe) Korean-made Elite TX's. (do a search of the forums here for more info) I've seen a lot of borderline-deceptive listings as just "Ovation Elite T" without mentioning the TX nor listing the model number.

Go by the model number, not just the fact that it is listed as an "Elite T" if the model number ends in "TX" it was not made in the US. That's doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good guitar, but there are some construction differences compared to the discontinued USA Elite T models.

IMO, an Elite T is a superior guitar to an Elite TX, ymmv.

Good luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)