The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Studio question...opinions welcomed

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Styll
Posted 2005-12-30 11:10 PM (#270957)
Subject: Studio question...opinions welcomed

Ok...Im finally going to do it...Im building a recording studio in the house. I figured i certainly paid enough studios for their services.

Its always been a dream to be able to do everything in house...so Im going for it.

my question...

What do you think is the better way to go...
the acoustic foam walls or all wood for the recording/practice room.

I will have percussion...bass...etc...set up in this room as well. I love the wood for the acoustics...but Im afraid it might be too much with the bass and percussion... opinions???suggestions???

I was kicking around a vocal both but i really love the live feel...

www.styllstanding.com

http://www.myspace.com/styllheartandsoul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BruDeV
Posted 2005-12-30 11:28 PM (#270958 - in reply to #270957)
Subject: Re: Studio question...opinions welcomed

Maybe you could build something like this for the drums.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/4...
Styll
Posted 2005-12-30 11:44 PM (#270959 - in reply to #270957)

I was looking at that... :)

www.styllstanding.com

http://www.myspace.com/styllheartandsoul
E.Sherman
Posted 2005-12-30 11:50 PM (#270960 - in reply to #270957)

I would say make the room in all wood, and then put in abosorbers and such where needed. You don't want a totally dead room, after all.
Sleepy Eyes McGee
Posted 2005-12-31 12:44 AM (#270961 - in reply to #270957)

If you are going to build a recording studio and are going to use the main room primarily for recording live I would go with acoustic foam. You may have a tough time chasing down slight reverberations that may get trapped in the corners using the absorbers and you wont be able to "fine tune" the room.Then,pickup a Lexicon PCM80 or 90 and that'll make you sound like you recorded yourself in a tile bathroom or in the middle of a large mirrored room with hardwood floors. Its easier to add in the mix rather than try to take away something thats already there. ;)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2005-12-31 12:45 AM (#270962 - in reply to #270957)

Along the lines of what E.Sherman wrote. First, download Acoustics 101 from Auralex. http://www.auralex.com/literature/

Then design your room with that info in mind. Acoustic treatments are just that... "treatments". You create a room, then you measure it and test it, and fix and enhance as needed.

I should probably update these pictures, but here is how my studio came to life. http://www.baronaudio.com/construction.asp I thought I was totally screwed by the low ceiling, but it turns out, that because the beams are only 12" apart, just putting some foam between them causes the highs that would normally bounce back to just disapate. I ended up covering the beams with just a burlap to let the sound continue to pass through and the room maintains it's "live" sound. Cement walls were another "issue" I thought I would have to face. As a stop-gap, I put a tudor design using stained cedar, glued right to the cement walls. Well, that was enough to kill any echo appearently, and give the room some warmth. The wood floor is floating on 1/8th inch mat... Mouse pads actually, 100's of mousepads I acquired from a bank that went out of biz.

The result was, hardly any treatment was used at all in the live room.

The control room is about 60% covered in foam, and the back wall is all books and supplies which really break up the sound well once it's past the sweet spot.

I get compliments on the sound of my studio, and have recorded quite a few artists in the past few years. I wish I could say it was all the planning that made the studio sound great, but the reality is... there was months of planning, and due to budget at the time, I had to just settle for what I have. As it turns out, in hindsight, it probably sounds a lot better than what I had planned on doing.

Having your own studio is rewarding. For me, I get some great musicians (like the ones in the pictures) to come in and play great music for me... and they pay me too. Well, not the ones in the pictures, but hey... I got my moneys worth from them :)

If you ever get to memphis, stop by the old Sun recording studio. It hasn't changed since it was built, and talk about a sound. Looking at the room you'd never in a million years guess it sounds the way it does. It's like almost every acoustic "rule" for a studio was broken, and yet... there it is, one of the best sounding rooms ever created.
BruDeV
Posted 2005-12-31 1:45 AM (#270963 - in reply to #270957)

Serendipity.
One of the best 'echo chambers' I've ever heard is an L shaped hallway at one of the local colleges.
E.Sherman
Posted 2005-12-31 2:26 AM (#270964 - in reply to #270957)

Mr. Ovation - Nice read.

Too bad I'm 17, and my mom is touchy enough with simply letting my band practice down in the basement. I think she might die ( or kill me) if I tried to aucostically treat it ( it's a finished basement, with that aucostic ceiling tile and drywall walls, but could still use plenty of work aucostics wise)!
Waskel
Posted 2005-12-31 8:55 AM (#270965 - in reply to #270957)

Styll, here are some links with info on home studio and acoustic design.

By Ethan Winer and Wes Lachot

John L Sayers

StudioTips

Acoustics 101

Rich the Tweakhead (Studio Central)

At Studio Central you can get advice from literally dozens of Pros/Semi Pros who have already done what you want to do. I highly recommend you check it out. There's a wealth of info to be had just browsing through the various forums.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-12-31 11:16 AM (#270966 - in reply to #270957)

Anyone else notice that Miles seems to have emerged from hibernation? Any truth to the rumor that you were moving to the Northwest?
Waskel
Posted 2005-12-31 1:41 PM (#270967 - in reply to #270957)

Yeah, I mentioned it on the calendar thread. Hasn't responded yet.
willard
Posted 2005-12-31 3:09 PM (#270968 - in reply to #270957)

I emailed him and asked but no response. It might be secret.
dragonboy
Posted 2005-12-31 6:04 PM (#270969 - in reply to #270957)

From Mr. Ovation:
If you ever get to memphis, stop by the old Sun recording studio. It hasn't changed since it was built, and talk about a sound. Looking at the room you'd never in a million years guess it sounds the way it does. It's like almost every acoustic "rule" for a studio was broken, and yet... there it is, one of the best sounding rooms ever created.
From BruDeV:
Serendipity.
One of the best 'echo chambers' I've ever heard is an L shaped hallway at one of the local colleges.
Again, from Mr. Ovation
I get compliments on the sound of my studio, and have recorded quite a few artists in the past few years. I wish I could say it was all the planning that made the studio sound great, but the reality is... there was months of planning, and due to budget at the time, I had to just settle for what I have. As it turns out, in hindsight, it probably sounds a lot better than what I had planned on doing.
Maybe I oversimplify my approach to music, but sometimes I feel we all overthink this recording stuff, and a lot of good natural sound gets steamrolled in the process. Look at the examples above. Who knows, your room might be a hidden gem for acoustics, or maybe would be with a few minor changes. I'd start with the basics and tweak from there to get the sound you want.

It may work, it may not... you can always add on as you go, but sometimes simplest is best... :D
Sleepy Eyes McGee
Posted 2006-01-01 2:19 AM (#270970 - in reply to #270957)

well, I will again stand by my opinion.I have been fortunate enough over the years to work with some very good producers and you would be surprised at some of the the techniques used to get such good sounds. The reason I said to go with foam is that this is a multi-purpose room {recording and rehearsal}.Foam will be kinder to your neigbors when practicing. Bottom line, always remember in todays day with the technology available you can get a fantastic recording sittin' in your living room. ;)
Bailey
Posted 2006-01-01 4:39 AM (#270971 - in reply to #270957)

Styll

I spent a few years in construction building commercial buildings of many types, my advice is research all the possibilities as some here have suggested. Most of the work that you need to do is best done during construction. It is very hard to add features like sound ptoofing AFTER things are built. Knowledge of what is proper and available can save a fortune and make the difference between disappointment and great pride. An Ovation guitar was the result of a great deal of scientific work, and a wealth of info is available.

GOOD LUCK, PLan ahed

Bailey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)