The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Almost bought a Taylor today

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Omaha
Posted 2006-01-04 9:32 PM (#270407)
Subject: Almost bought a Taylor today

I've had my eye on a Taylor 514ce-L30 for a few weeks. (see one here: http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/model.aspx?model=514-CE-L30)

The one at Russo's Music here in Omaha was just beautiful. But it was a little shop-worn and really needed a good setup. So I talked to them and over a couple of days had them adjust the action and detail out the guitar (new strings, buff out the body, clean the fretboard, etc).

Here's the funny part. It had a dead spot on the "E" note: Seventh fret on the "A" string was really lifeless. I thought the setup might help, but nope. Really disappointing. By the time they were done with the setup (we went back and fourth four times, so it was really set up to my specs) it played great. I was ready to drop coin on it tonight, but when I realized that the dead spot was still there, that nuked the deal.

I had the guy play it and experience it for himself. He is taking it to their luthier to see if there is anything they can do, but I doubt it. If they do manage to figure it out, I'll buy it, but not as it stands today.

Here's my question: I don't have that much experience with Ovations. I know my Adamas doesn't have any dead spots, but that's part of the point of the carbon fiber top, right? What about wood top models. Are dead spots part of the deal with Ovations like they are with other guitars, or does their unique construction make them less likely?

Cheers!

Jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Stephen P
Posted 2006-01-04 9:41 PM (#270408 - in reply to #270407)
Subject: Re: Almost bought a Taylor today

I've never had a deadspot on my Martin or even my low end Alvarez 12 string...something was definitely up with that guitar..

I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if it was at say, the 18th fret or something, but the 7th fret should never have that problem.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-01-04 9:56 PM (#270409 - in reply to #270407)

sounds like the opposite of a wolf note
Tommy M.
Posted 2006-01-04 10:15 PM (#270410 - in reply to #270407)

Jeff
I happen to own a Taylor 514CE and after reading your post, I pulled mine out and checked all the notes on all the frets. Could not hear any dead spots. I like this model because of the cedar top gives it a bright sound. Taylors are very good guitars, but a bit overpriced IMHO. No, dead spots are not part of the deal with Ovations. It sounds to me like the top of that guitar just won't vibrate to the level of the other notes.
BruDeV
Posted 2006-01-04 11:37 PM (#270411 - in reply to #270407)

Sometimes loose frets will cause dead notes. Usually you can fix that problem with superglue.
Jkf_Alone
Posted 2006-01-05 12:14 AM (#270412 - in reply to #270407)

hmm, i doubt its a problem with the top, dead spots are usually neck or fret problems, maladjustment issues.
Styll
Posted 2006-01-05 12:43 AM (#270413 - in reply to #270407)

Nooooooo
Dont fall to the Darkside... ;)

http://www.myspace.com/styllheartandsoul
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2006-01-05 8:57 AM (#270414 - in reply to #270407)

That is a question to bring up on one of the Taylor forums. Oh, and be sure to remind them that your Adamas has no such problem..... :eek:
cliff
Posted 2006-01-05 9:20 AM (#270415 - in reply to #270407)

There's a Taylor Forum??

I thought that Taylor pulled the plug on that when the mob started to turn ugly on a new product . . .
alpep
Posted 2006-01-05 9:38 AM (#270416 - in reply to #270407)

exactly
tragocaster
Posted 2006-01-05 9:39 AM (#270417 - in reply to #270407)

Almost bought a Taylor/Almost cut my hair... is there a connection there???

Yeah, I'd bet money that it's either a fret problem, or a neck problem.

Yup, I got a couple of dead spots on both my Matrix and Legend, but I bought them used for dirt cheap, and other than that, they still play and sound KILLER! They're both beat up pretty bad - especially the Legend. Sound great though!
Omaha
Posted 2006-01-05 11:01 AM (#270418 - in reply to #270407)

I did a bunch of reading last night over on the Acoustic Guitar forum, and I now know more about dead spots than I ever thought I could. I also went over my Adamas more carefully than I had before, and discovered that it has a couple of spots that are not as resonant as others. I wouldn't go anywhere near calling them "dead", but there are certainly some notes that ring better than others.

I think I see the problem here. I need to quick screwing around with selecting guitars and spend more time playing. It is self evident that selecting guitars is a dead end road. You spend all your time worrying about dead spots (and a trillion other things) instead of actually PLAYING THE GUITAR.

Jeff
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-05 2:05 PM (#270419 - in reply to #270407)

You got it Omaha, but there is a boys and toys thing about buying new or used guitars, amps and other equipment. I've had similar discussions about boats and cars. Half the "experts" on Porsches that I talk to know more about them than I do, but I drive mine every day. It doesn't matter how good it is if you don't use it.
Omaha
Posted 2006-01-05 3:38 PM (#270420 - in reply to #270407)

Back in my oil business days, we called guys like that "all hat and no cattle".

Back before my joints crapped out on me, I was a pretty good pistol shooter. Nothing was more satisfying than having some guy at the range, with his $5000 custom built gun (typically these guys would have a bunch of junk like laser sights, etc), complain that is doesn't shoot right. I'd ask to take a shot, drop one in the 'X' ring, and hand it back.

The difference in shooting is rarely the gun. The difference in performing is never the guitar. Can you imagine people leaving a service saying "well, that was pretty nice, but I just couldn't stand the sound of that cheapo guitar the guy was playing"?

Jeff
Tommy M.
Posted 2006-01-05 7:36 PM (#270421 - in reply to #270407)

Jeff, you dead right.
Omaha
Posted 2006-01-05 10:15 PM (#270422 - in reply to #270407)

Well, I did it. I now have (eghad!!!) a Taylor 714CE-L30 sitting in my dining room.

The tech fiddled with it, and made some neck adjustments. That 'seemed' to help the dead note quite a bit. Sold!

First impressions? Love the guitar of course, but that's a "duh" since I bought it. The case is a monster. I've never held a Taylor case before. Much, MUCH heavier than the injection molded Ovation case. I think it is hand made from plywood by Taylor.

Intonation is rock solid, although I am going to miss the onboard tuner. My wife has a really cool Seiko analog chromatic tuner that I'll use for now, but I'll need to find a permanent solution.

I find myself wondering about humidification for the first time ever. Not sure how much I should worry about that.

Anyway, I'm keeping it! I'm also keeping my Adamas. I like them both, and they are different enough that I can pick the one that matches my mood.

Cheers!

Jeff
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-05 11:03 PM (#270423 - in reply to #270407)

Does the humidity ever drop below 50 in Omaha?
GrilledCheese
Posted 2006-01-06 7:37 AM (#270424 - in reply to #270407)

Being a former Omahan, the humidity does drop below 50% in the winter, summer very seldom.

Where I live now it's very seldom ever below 60% year 'round. :)
Omaha
Posted 2006-01-06 9:37 AM (#270425 - in reply to #270407)

Originally posted by GrilledCheese:
Being a former Omahan, the humidity does drop below 50% in the winter, summer very seldom.

There's a coincidence! I was born in Evansville. Beautiful city. I really like the older neighborhoods near downtown. Seems like people there really take care of those older houses.

You're right about the humidity. Here in Omaha, the only time it ever gets really low is on extremely cold days in the winter. I just checked weather.com and it is currently listed at 91%!

Jeff
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2006-01-06 9:57 AM (#270426 - in reply to #270407)

I live a few miles outside of Omaha proper, and it is very dry during the winter. Average indoor humidity is lower than the Sahara, according to one source. I live a few blocks from the Platte River, and it doesn't help -- although one would think rapid evaporation helps explain why it is so extraordinarily shallow.

As to Taylor forums, at least one exists. It just isn't 'official'.
GrilledCheese
Posted 2006-01-06 7:53 PM (#270427 - in reply to #270407)

Originally posted by Omaha:
Originally posted by GrilledCheese:

There's a coincidence! I was born in Evansville. Beautiful city. I really like the older neighborhoods near downtown. Seems like people there really take care of those older houses.

You're right about the humidity. Here in Omaha, the only time it ever gets really low is on extremely cold days in the winter. I just checked weather.com and it is currently listed at 91%!

Jeff
Now here's a real coincidence, I was born in Omaha! Yeah, the older homes near downtown in Evansville are in the historic preservation area, so they have to be maintained a certain way. Almost bought one in that area, but most have no garages, so you have to park on the street. Couldn't go that route.
Omaha
Posted 2006-01-07 11:10 AM (#270428 - in reply to #270407)

So, taken together, we effectively cancel each other out.

Hmmm....

Jeff
GrilledCheese
Posted 2006-01-10 6:14 PM (#270429 - in reply to #270407)

I believe you're right, we do kinda cancel each other out. Hhhmmmmm.... :D :D
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-01-12 2:24 PM (#270430 - in reply to #270407)

I love that, Jeff, "All Hat and no cattle." Abraham Lincoln used a similar term regarding loud-mouthed politicians, "All whistle and no boiler" in reference to river boats.
Tommy M.
Posted 2006-01-12 6:01 PM (#270431 - in reply to #270407)

Jeff
Good luck with your new guitar. There's something about thoses cedar top guitars that I just love.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)