The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Having to educate the rest of the guitar community

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

tragocaster
Posted 2006-01-05 9:44 AM (#270374)
Subject: Having to educate the rest of the guitar community

Everywhere you go on the net you keep hearing "Ovations suck" over and over like some kind of weird mantra. And I feel obligated to try and set the record straight with some of them.

But on the other hand, as long as the guitar community in general keeps this attitude, then we can keep picking up nice used Ovations for dirt cheap!

But the flipside of that is that I actually get harassed (in a good natured kind of way) at gigs by other guitarists.

:rolleyes: It gets old....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Omaha
Posted 2006-01-05 10:03 AM (#270375 - in reply to #270374)
Subject: Re: Having to educate the rest of the guitar community

There is something really wierd about musicians. Every instrument has sort of a "pecking order", as if it matters. My wife plays the flute, and they are the same way.

There is a trendiness to this as well. There was a time when Ovation was the "hot" thing. Today, there is a large segment of the market that considers Ovations to be "yesterday's news". That's ok. These things come and go.

Jeff
JeffreyD
Posted 2006-01-05 10:08 AM (#270376 - in reply to #270374)

Know what you mean.

I have a pastor and my son-in-law who are what I call "Brand Snobs". One is Taylor the other Martin.

I have my 1537 and now an Adamas, but also had a Carvin Cobalt 850 that I picked up like new on ebay for $400.

The pastor wants a Taylor something desperate but doesn't really know why other than that is what others use. I taped the name on the Carvin and had him guess the brand....he didn't know, but he bought it from me cause he liked it so much, but...still is saving up for a Taylor.

My son-in-law was around after I got my Adamas and I was playing where he couldn't see me. He asked what I was using, I said a Martin...wow...I really like the way that sounds......

My point is, most of these folks wouldn't really know the difference between the various brands. Yes, the true pro's (of which I am not one) would tell you in a second, but the public by and large is hooked on image. As for me...I want value, quality, and comfort....right now, that is Ovation/Adamas as most "non-players" think they sound like heaven...which is a good thing when you only play in Church.
Standingovation
Posted 2006-01-05 10:13 AM (#270377 - in reply to #270374)

Yup. We've all been through this. I've given up. Some people love them, and some people hate them. We should just all get along and respect our differences. We all buy what we do for different reasons.
Waskel
Posted 2006-01-05 10:32 AM (#270378 - in reply to #270374)

I've given up as well. Why should I care what they play anyway? What I play is what matters to me.
I love the Ovation sound and feel, and by having a representative of 5 different 'flavors', I can always find the variation I'm looking for. They're all different, yet I can pick any one of them up and be happy with it.

Sidenote: Just this morning I was admiring them on the wall (they are art, after all!), and realized that I had inadvertently managed to collect one of each bowl depth:
Adamas deep (Adamas II)
Ovation deep (CL12 1759)
Mid-depth (S Elite 6778LX)
Artist (shallow) (CA1624)
Super-shallow (Balladeer 1861).

:D I'm a blessed and happy man! :D

Oh, wait. No Contour Bowl. Hmmm...
an4340
Posted 2006-01-05 11:00 AM (#270379 - in reply to #270374)

Wow Waskel. That's great. You definitely need a contour bowl.

I was in the new Guitar Center in Brooklyn. Small compared to the one in Manhattan. Went into the acoustic room. No Adamas. Only 3 USA made ovations, the rest celebs. Went into the back room with the Taylors and the Martins. Discussed the merits of the different guitars with the saleskid. Weirdly, he agreed that Taylors were over-rated, and lacked bottom end. He liked the clarity of the Adamas. And of course we both liked the Martins. Interesting though, no disparagement of the USA made ovations, actually liking the Adamas. Weird. Maybe it's a parallel universe.
schroeder
Posted 2006-01-05 11:07 AM (#270380 - in reply to #270374)

Who cares? I have a full range of Anglo-Saxon language available in case anybody wants to dis my guitars.

BTW - hate to disagree with tragocaster but I've been all over the net following the word "suck" and I never bumped into an Ovation once (although a lot of things were standing. Sorry Dave)
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2006-01-05 11:27 AM (#270381 - in reply to #270374)

But the flipside of that is that I actually get harassed (in a good natured kind of way) at gigs by other guitarists.

It gets old....
I never get harassed about my Ovation, just my banjo!...probably for good cause.... :confused:
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2006-01-05 11:55 AM (#270382 - in reply to #270374)

The best way to fight the "hate Ovation" crowd is to be a better player. I mean I see it all the time even with Christian musicians. They are so insecure about their playing, that they even lash out at your instrument. I decided along time ago to be the best musician I can. If you play well, there will always be those out there who are jealous. I have had nothing but good things said about Ovations to me. And to be honest, I really don't care if someone puts down my guitar, now my playing that is a different story. :)
MWoody
Posted 2006-01-05 12:06 PM (#270383 - in reply to #270374)

When I play the mistakes are never because of the guitar I am holding. Very good Paul.
Weaser P
Posted 2006-01-05 12:10 PM (#270384 - in reply to #270374)

Originally posted by Legend-LX-Fan:
The best way to fight the "hate Ovation" crowd is to be a better player.
'Course it's quicker to be a lousy player and play one of the other brands.
cliff
Posted 2006-01-05 12:13 PM (#270385 - in reply to #270374)

The only time I ever really hear shit about Ovations is from the self-purported "experts" on some of the other guitar forums.

More often than not, the comments that I get at gigs are complimentary - at least for the guitars themselves :rolleyes:
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-05 1:52 PM (#270386 - in reply to #270374)

I thought that I didn't give a shit about what other people thought because I was a lawyer. Since most of you guys feel the same, it must be because I'm old.
New Years Eve I was invited to some friends, who had a relative who played guitar. I took the Balladeer, just because it is sort of my "travel" guitar. She had a Martin that she chose for the size. She said she had a Taylor, but never could get it to where it was playable. We traded guitars for awhile and talked about the differences, but nothing derogatory. I probably had to be more careful than she did. We agreed on one thing, that Taylors are overpriced.
freakkflagloud
Posted 2006-01-05 4:26 PM (#270387 - in reply to #270374)

Ovations are the only acoustics I've used where my electric technique transfers over. The feel, action, volume and tone are all outstanding. I've yet to find anything I dislike about them....can't say that for my other acoustics. Maybe there are others I'd like out there but I haven't run across them. That's the reason I play them, and I really dig the mother of pearl work too around the rosette...silly reason but I just like the way it looks.

Les Pauls are the same way -within the LP community no less: My Custom is better than your Standard; My Standard from 1985 is better than your Classic with the 1960 neck, etc, etc. If you can make it howl then it doesn't matter what it says on the headstock.
tdeej
Posted 2006-01-05 5:12 PM (#270388 - in reply to #270374)

I used to let it bother me. However, I find that O people are great to be around so the brand preference 'sorts' out the people I most like to be with.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-05 6:38 PM (#270389 - in reply to #270374)

Tim, nice to meet you and good to see you made it back. Just after I recommended you go north on highway 55, I heard a rumor that it was closed by a rock slide. I drove it the next day and it was fine.
tdeej
Posted 2006-01-05 10:45 PM (#270390 - in reply to #270374)

Sure appreciated you taking the effort inspite of the weather. Must have missed the rock slide, but drove too many miles at only 30-35 mph on real rough snow floor. Do you suppose we had the first Idaho OFC get together? Sure look forward to a NW OFC activity.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-05 11:01 PM (#270391 - in reply to #270374)

The first Idaho OFC meeting should have been up in the Sawtooths or something and definitely not on a rainy day at a Carl's Jr. Could have been worse. I could have driven out to meet you at the outlet mall.
I had a great time playing guitars with friends in McCall on New Years Eve. Wish we could have shown off your 1547. Hermiston is kind of in the center of all of us. Suppose we could find a nice place on the river?
Francis
Posted 2006-01-06 2:33 AM (#270392 - in reply to #270374)

Every one i talk to says that the Ovations slip off their lap, I say they just don't know how to play an ovation. But for me, I love my Ovation guitars even though thier Celeberties. :)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-06 9:34 AM (#270393 - in reply to #270374)

I've heard that many times, but never experienced it myself. A week ago, however, I let someone play my Balladeer. She was probably about 5'2" and the Balladeer immediately slid. The Balladeer is a shallow bowl, which seems less likely to slide.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)