The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Recommended Strings?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Andy057
Posted 2006-01-05 6:11 PM (#270270)
Subject: Recommended Strings?

I purchased an Ovation CC057 recently. And I'm thinking about changing the strings. I have a pack of Martin SP Phospher Bronze Extra light strings. So my two questions are, will the Martins sound good? And if not, what strings will sound best on my Ovation?

Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2006-01-05 6:48 PM (#270271 - in reply to #270270)
Subject: Re: Recommended Strings?

You'll get as many answers as there are people here.
For my 2 cents worth....I tried 4 other brands then came back to the Martin Marquis lights or extra lights. They work for me.
Welcome to the club!!!
stonebobbo
Posted 2006-01-05 6:51 PM (#270272 - in reply to #270270)

Welcome, Andy. Everyone here has different opinions, and everyone is right. It's all about what you like. Martin SP are good strings, I have a set of lights on my Martin right now. Ovations tend to play best for me with light gauge (.12 - .53). Others like medium (.13 - .56). If you're an electric player and not used to playing acoustic, then the extra lights fit the bill nicely. The only thing to watch when you put the XL strings on is that you might need to tweak the truss rod if the guitar is currently set up with heavier strings.

Ovations come from the factory with D-Addarios. I've been using Adamas 1818 and like them well enough. I also have the Dean Markley Alchemy strings on a couple of guitars, but they are pricey. A lot of folks here like Elixirs and feel the added expense is entirely justified.

Do a search on strings and you'll find a lot of reading material.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2006-01-05 7:04 PM (#270273 - in reply to #270270)

I've used Martin SPs and they work well on Ovations. I use D'Addario Phosphor Bronze regular and EXPs, light gauge.

Roger
Andy057
Posted 2006-01-05 7:06 PM (#270274 - in reply to #270270)

Thanks guys. I think I will go with the Martins at my next string change.
FlySig
Posted 2006-01-06 11:29 AM (#270275 - in reply to #270270)

Andy, fwiw, my daughter has a fairly new Ovation and we are in the string quest. What we did was buy a variety of strings including D'Addario and Martin (but you could go with any brands you like). There is a mix of Phosphor Bronze and 80/20 Bronze, as well as one set of D'Addario 85/15's. We got some Martin SPs and Marquis in a variety of Phosphor Bronze and 80/20.

She has a 5x7 card with a grid set up so that she can track each string set. There are columns for acoustic sound, plugged into her amp sound, feel or playability, durability, holding tune, and maybe some other things I've forgotten.

She changes strings about once every 6 weeks. By the time she gets through 6 different sets of strings there is no way she'll remember the details unless it's written down.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)