The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
newbie question re E Tuner and Amp

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

wabcol
Posted 2006-01-11 9:24 AM (#269601)
Subject: newbie question re E Tuner and Amp

I have recently joined the Ovation Fan Club and am an intermediate level player having just purchased a nice used 1861 Balladeer (my first Ovation). I have a VOX solid state modeling amp.(I realize that an acoustic amp may be best but that will have to wait). While I am experimenting with different E tuner and amp settings, I am interested in learning what settings you use to get the best full acoustic tone. Where do you set the E tuner and how do you use the effects,if any,(such as reverb, etc)offered thru the amp? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cruster
Posted 2006-01-11 11:28 AM (#269602 - in reply to #269601)
Subject: Re: newbie question re E Tuner and Amp

Wow, I've only played my Elite (1868) through an amp a couple of times. I wouldn't have the first clue how to set the sliders or the amp for best tone. Of course, the way I play, most people just request the 'volume' be at zero, anyway. ;)

Welcome to the OFC and congrats on the new guitar!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-11 3:30 PM (#269603 - in reply to #269601)

The last time I said I just turn all three all the way up, somebody thought I was being a smartass. I admit I'm a smartass, but I was being honest then. I can't decide what gives the "best" tone. Lately, I haven't plugged in, since I just play for myself.
xnoel
Posted 2006-01-11 4:27 PM (#269604 - in reply to #269601)

I usually have the sliders on my Elite T and CV68 set in the middle, with maybe just a little more mids. I do most of the changing on the amp, with bass and treble at about 3. My amp has an Alesis unit and I usually have a little rev/chorus.
I am just a hack who mostly plays around the house, so I only have to satisfy myself.
cliff
Posted 2006-01-11 4:38 PM (#269605 - in reply to #269601)

It's pretty much impossible to recommend any kind of a "template" as to how to set an amp to get a particular "sound" . . .

There's too many variables to consider (type of guitar, type of amp, room size/configuration, furnishing, carpet, ceiling, etc. . . ).

Get yourself a 6-pack and a stool, sit down and experiment until you find the "sound" that you like . . . .

. . . that's why they call it "playing" . . ;-)
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-01-11 5:19 PM (#269606 - in reply to #269601)

I call it drinking...
cruster
Posted 2006-01-11 8:09 PM (#269607 - in reply to #269601)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
The last time I said I just turn all three all the way up, somebody thought I was being a smartass. I admit I'm a smartass, but I was being honest then. I can't decide what gives the "best" tone. Lately, I haven't plugged in, since I just play for myself.
This could've been a really fun thread, but no, you couldn't lob the soft ball, couldja? ;) You almost had it, too! :D
wabcol
Posted 2006-01-12 12:02 PM (#269608 - in reply to #269601)

Thanks to all for the information. I will tinker away at differnt settings and enjoy a 6 pack in the process. I look forward to learning a lot from you all.

Jim
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-01-12 2:14 PM (#269609 - in reply to #269601)

I play an '81 1651 through two Fender Acoustasonic Juniors with DSP, one for each channel, then pan the channels wide on a stereo sound reinforcement system (eq is based on the venue). I keep the volume on the guitar at near max, the treble just slightly toward the treble side of middle, then control everything at the amp with Bass at about 6.5, midrange at 7, and treble around 5. I prefer a little room reverb, and I add some very fast delay when I'm playing country balads, with the FX level between 7 and 8. The sound engineers usually control what happens out front. Of course, this response is like what finish do youl like best, walnut or blonde? It is purely artist preference. Good luck!
cliff
Posted 2006-01-12 3:18 PM (#269610 - in reply to #269601)

I just set all of the controls to coincide with the date:

0-1-1-2-0-6

Then I make sure all of my tuning keys are perfectly aligned . . .
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-01-12 3:44 PM (#269611 - in reply to #269601)

I was wondering how you get that unique "Clifford" sound......
Waskel
Posted 2006-01-12 3:46 PM (#269612 - in reply to #269601)

No two gigs sound quite the same...
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-01-12 5:04 PM (#269613 - in reply to #269601)

I use the Ashlee Simpson setting
FlySig
Posted 2006-01-12 8:38 PM (#269614 - in reply to #269601)

Interesting that most of you like to boost the mids and reduce the highs and lows. I prefer the opposite and cut the mids just a bit.
ChatMan
Posted 2006-01-13 8:07 AM (#269615 - in reply to #269601)

FS,

Are you playing solo or with others. I find that solo I adjust much like you (e.g. Bathtub curve). In a group where you have other players supporting the ends, you might find that you (or someone in the group) needs to punch up the middle to fill out the overall sound.

Also, I notice that for strumming/rhythm I boost the ends. For fingerstyle, I tend to want more midrange or at least level throughout..
MrDano
Posted 2006-01-13 12:44 PM (#269616 - in reply to #269601)

Like xnoel - I tend to flatten everything - sliders in the middle - and then use the eq on my mixer (behringer) I will usually add some high's and cut the lows... After I've finished the six pack - I cut the highs, and boost the lows - then after I've finished the 4th shot of tequila - I crank everything as high as it will go and for some reason - that's when my singing sounds the best!

Go figure...
FlySig
Posted 2006-01-13 1:54 PM (#269617 - in reply to #269601)

Originally posted by ChatMan:
FS,

Are you playing solo or with others. I find that solo I adjust much like you (e.g. Bathtub curve). In a group where you have other players supporting the ends, you might find that you (or someone in the group) needs to punch up the middle to fill out the overall sound.

Also, I notice that for strumming/rhythm I boost the ends. For fingerstyle, I tend to want more midrange or at least level throughout..
I'm just playing in the house either solo or with one the kids. No bass, no drums. Sometime in the spring my son and I will be performing a duet, me on the Ovation and him on violin, at a recital hall. The acoustics in the hall will certainly change everything.
wabcol
Posted 2006-01-16 8:52 AM (#269618 - in reply to #269601)

I thought I would report back on my experimenting based on the excellent advice in this thread. My goal was to get the "fullest acoustic sound" and requested settings for the amp and EQ on the guitar to achieve this goal.

A few disclaimers: First, my new used Ovation (Balledeer 1861)is my first acoustic electric and I am clearly learning how to interact the guitar with the amp. Second I am playing through essentially a practice amp (Vox) designed for electric guitars. Third, I play for only for my enjoyment at home. Fourth I am clearly an intermediate skill level and many of the issues with the sound are likely due to my poor technique. So if this report is helpful, if at all, it will be only for those who are in my same position and are looking for "getting started" suggestions.

The best advice to get the "fullest" acoustic tone was to principally handle the equalizing on the amp. I found that I was putting the treble at about 10 o'clock, the mids at about 12 and the bass at about 1:30 and then had the equalizer on the guitar all set first all at the mid point and fine tuned a bit with treble slightly increased and bass slightly more than the treble. I did use some modest reverb (no other effects) and otherwise everything was clean on the amp.

This opened the guitar sound up dramatically for me. I was thrilled with how much better the sound was.

Thank you again for all the suggestions. I appreciate the help you all provided to a new member and someone who is really enjoying the Ovation sound.
mt_spiffy
Posted 2006-01-16 1:19 PM (#269619 - in reply to #269601)

Playing an electric guitar amp I'd think you'd want to increase the bass and treble and cut the mids. Most acoustic amps are pretty flat across the curve, whereas electric amps are very midrange heavy. That having been said, I dont think (m)any electric amps are going to be able to reproduce the full frequency range you'd want for an acoustic guitar.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)