The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Anti-Bacterial Hand Sanitizer

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

mt_spiffy
Posted 2006-01-11 5:21 PM (#269525)
Subject: Anti-Bacterial Hand Sanitizer

I like my strings fresh. I think they sound best immediately after they are put on the guitar, and gradually decline from there. I was one of the first people to be sent a proto-type of the Elixir strings when they first came out (I was in high school at the time) and have been using them ever since, BIG improvement. In any case, even with the Elixirs, I have always changed my strings with great frequency.

Recently I came to the revelation that if you wash your hands IMMEDIATELY before playing EVERY time, and if you wipe down your strings with a dry flannel IMMEDIATELY after playing EVERY time, this extends string life greatly. The problem is, one may not always have that opportunity. I play ina lot of gospel groups, churches, and even secular bands I've played with have always held hands and prayed in a circle immediately before taking the stage. Even if I washed my hands right before show/service time, suddenly I've acquired someone else's sweat and oils. Or I may have to run offstage to grab a dirty wire for someone else, etc. My point is that having clean, dry hands immediately before playing is not always possible.

Someone suggested the anti-bactieral hand sanitizer. You know, the stuff you rub on your hands like liquid soap, but dont wash off-- as you rub your hands it evaporates and/or dries. Many establishments have taken to putting this stuff in bathrooms instead of hand soap. In any case, I thought, great idea! I can buy a bottle, keep it in my case or gig bag, have it on stage with me and use it every time I touch the guitar. I can have a bottle home, keep it with me, so every time I want to pick up the guitar while watching TV, etc, I wont have to get up and wash my hands. By jove, that's brilliant!

So, I mosey on down to the nearest grocery store on my way to church, and pick up a store brand bottle for $1.50 (active ingrediant is the same, and I dont care how it smells, so let's get the cheap stuff). I read the bottle and "may be harmful to wood finishes, fabrics, and some plastics." WELL, I says!

So my question is: is it likely that it will damage the finish on the guitar, or the coating on the strings? I dont want to marr or damage my guitar (it looks gorgeous), nor do I want to defeat the purpose of the cleaning in the first place!

In conclusion, Ovations rock.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2006-01-11 5:34 PM (#269526 - in reply to #269525)
Subject: Re: Anti-Bacterial Hand Sanitizer

That stuff's predominantly alcohol, so I'd just wait until it evaporates from your skin before handling the guitar. . .

Personally, my hands don't feel "clean" enough to play when I use that stuff. Germ-free??
. . . m-m-m-m-maybe, but I'm not afraid of giving my guitar a cold, I wanna handle it with "clean" hands.

I always bring a couple of clean, white hand towels in my gig bag. After I'm done setting up, I'll hit the men's room, scrub & thoroughly dry my hands before I handle the strings to tune/play.
MWoody
Posted 2006-01-11 5:50 PM (#269527 - in reply to #269525)

While that hand cleaner will kill 98% of the germs it will leave behind a residue of dead germs, debris and skin. These are the very things that the remaining 2% of resilient germs like to feed on.

The hand sanitizer should be a secondary alternative to washing with soap and water.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2006-01-11 6:13 PM (#269528 - in reply to #269525)

It's highly unlikely that any detergent inteneded for humans will have any affect on a polyester guitar finish or a string coating

The two main causes of string deterioration are body chemistry and metal fatigue. The latter comes from playing; the more you play and the harder you play, the faster the tone will die. Clean hands or not, in almost 30 years of gigging I've yet to find anything to effectively combat acidic sweat. Coated strings work up to a point, but I personally don't care for their tone. My solution is to buy my strings wholesale and change them every gig. If I had time I'd change them between sets.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-01-11 6:23 PM (#269529 - in reply to #269525)

Before I gig...

schroeder
Posted 2006-01-11 6:27 PM (#269530 - in reply to #269525)

Devo.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-11 6:29 PM (#269531 - in reply to #269525)

I really expected to see something from Jeff more along the lines of bodily functions.
I have tried one hand cleaner that left a residue on the neck (of the guitar, Jeff). It didn't hurt it, but it took awhile to wipe off. I went back to soap and water.
Slipkid
Posted 2006-01-11 6:38 PM (#269532 - in reply to #269525)

In this case I guess I'm blessed to have dry skin. My hands don't sweat. I used to dred letting someone borrow my baseball glove. It would always come back soaked.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-01-11 6:47 PM (#269533 - in reply to #269525)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
I really expected to see something from Jeff more along the lines of bodily functions
You can't tell from the picture, Mark, but the suit comes with a catheter and a bag you strap to your leg.
Weaser P
Posted 2006-01-11 7:04 PM (#269534 - in reply to #269525)

Originally posted by Jeff W.:
Before I gig...

Funny...Lady Weaser had that same outfit when we were dating...HEY!! WAIT A MINUTE!!!!
cruster
Posted 2006-01-11 7:55 PM (#269535 - in reply to #269525)

I work in a hospital and the only place we have hand sanitizer is in little bottles that Employee Health handed out so people wouldn't infect other people's phones (which makes little or no sense to me) on some people's desks.

Perhaps there's a reason that surgeons use soap and water when they scrub.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-11 8:47 PM (#269536 - in reply to #269525)

Jeff, have you tried to use that catheter for a string tube, yet?
cliff
Posted 2006-01-11 9:59 PM (#269537 - in reply to #269525)

He did.

Then he cut it up and sent the pieces to HalJordan . . .
schroeder
Posted 2006-01-12 8:16 AM (#269538 - in reply to #269525)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:

I have tried one hand cleaner
Now that is truly Zen. Is it easier or more difficult than one hand clapping?
mt_spiffy
Posted 2006-01-12 5:37 PM (#269539 - in reply to #269525)

And it may have been easier to wipe off with both hands.

To be clear, I wasnt suggesting the hand sanitizer in place of washing one's hands before playing. I was hoping for an option to be able to remove sweat and oil from my hands between the last chance I ha e to wash them, and when I pick up the guitar. Something I can keep on stage with me. My primary question was whether or not it would damage my strings or my guitar . . . the general consensus seems to be "no".

Here's a website that seems to think it's a good idea:

http://www.ringmusic.com/tips/stringcare.html
fillhixx
Posted 2006-01-12 5:40 PM (#269540 - in reply to #269525)

I prefer the resonance I get from dirt. :)

When I was a kid my perspiration (girls don't sweat) was so acidic it would eat strings and break in a week.

Maybe it's being older, or the improved eating habits over the years....or I just don't rock out much like TGODs, but it's no longer an issue.

Leo Kottke likes dirty old strings. Nuff said?
BruDeV
Posted 2006-01-12 11:07 PM (#269541 - in reply to #269525)

Try some damp paper towels in a plastic bag.
mt_spiffy
Posted 2006-01-14 12:55 AM (#269542 - in reply to #269525)

Originally posted by BruDeV:
I'm not sure if this is a serious suggestion or not . . . but someone else had suggested "wet wipes" in a small resealable container. The main problem with both of these is that, once you've wiped your hands, what do you do with them? Assuming you're on stage, wearing nice clothes, etc. I suppose I could keep a small trash bag behind the amp . . . not crazy about it but it's another good idea.

Anyhow, I tried the sanitizer. It didnt seem to damage anything, and did get clean the oil off my hands, but, and this could have been my imagination, it seemed to make me sweat MORE. ?

Regardless, whoever said that there is no substitution for washing your hands . . . I agreed with them then, but I second it now.
BruDeV
Posted 2006-01-14 1:05 AM (#269543 - in reply to #269525)

Usually I have a couple of damp ones and a couple of dry ones in a plastic tray that has compartments. I also put picks, capos and such in some of the compartments. Being lazy, I mostly put it on top of one of the amps.
Waskel
Posted 2006-01-14 8:37 AM (#269544 - in reply to #269525)

Originally posted by BruDeV:
Tried it. All I got were crumpled up plastic bags with wet paper towels in them. My hands still weren't clean.
schroeder
Posted 2006-01-14 9:15 AM (#269545 - in reply to #269525)

At my gigs between numbers my lovely assistant Darlene Yamamoto, wearing only a waspie and fishnet stockings, carries on to the stage a bowl of mineral water, warmed to body temperature and infused with rose petals, and gently washes and dries my hands. While this is happening my other lovely assistant, Shania Twicenitely, wipes down the neck of my guitar with cashmere and chamois leather.
I find this works much better than anything else that has been suggested here.
Waskel
Posted 2006-01-14 10:08 AM (#269546 - in reply to #269525)

You forgot to mention your wife gently wiping down the back of your head with a roughly hewn 2x4.
Weaser P
Posted 2006-01-14 10:11 AM (#269547 - in reply to #269525)

...also twicenightly...
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-14 11:08 AM (#269548 - in reply to #269525)

Which would sound better on the back of Schroeder's head--a 2x4 thwaakk or the ping of an aluminum baseball bat?
MWoody
Posted 2006-01-14 11:22 AM (#269549 - in reply to #269525)

The simple "crack-ooze" of a duck egg should prove satisfying enough! Eh?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)