The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Fishman AURA

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

dobro
Posted 2006-01-15 4:34 PM (#269110)
Subject: Fishman AURA

Anyone get good results with their Ovation and tge Fishman AURA? I mean with the "Ovation Legend" soundimages currently available for the AURA (or any other soundimage)? It's an awesome gizmo but tricky to use! I'd love some input on this totally innovative technology.

Otherwise, keep harmonizing that Mode 4 of the Harmonic Minor! Legend 74
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Omaha
Posted 2006-01-15 10:34 PM (#269111 - in reply to #269110)
Subject: Re: Fishman AURA

Do you have an Aura? I'm interested in your thoughts.

One of the things that is cool about the Aura is that they will create a custom map for you. All it takes is your guitar, a few weeks of time and a few hundred bucks.

Makes me wonder if Ovation should make a practice of sending all their models through Fishman for sampling. That would be a smart move.

Then again, they may feel that the Aura competes against the new VIP...

Jeff
dobro
Posted 2006-01-15 10:51 PM (#269112 - in reply to #269110)

Yes, I have one! The "images" are awesome overlayers of sound that wrap around what you produce on your guitar. It is best for a line-out situation (live) where you're just not going to get the sound you need. I am far from understanding everything about it and remain a bit mystified by the gizmo's potential. One of the trickiest points is that the sound "image" (a particular guitar mic'd in a particular studio situation) must "fit" with your natural guitar sound. Hence the various online files of various images that you try to match to your natural or desired sound. In my case it's a '74 Ovation Legend (14th fret, no electronics). It's a work in progress. Anyone else out there with results or advice on the AURA? Legend74
schroeder
Posted 2006-01-16 7:33 AM (#269113 - in reply to #269110)

The demos that were (are?) on the Fishman website were very impressive. But it isn't exactly a versatile product from what I can see or have read.
My Yamaha floor processor offers modelling of 6 mics, has completely independent eq and a bunch of very high quality effects thrown in. Plus stereo and digital outs and midi options. And it comes with a dummy battery and stereo cable that provides phantom power through the 1/4" jack and turns the pup output to stereo and allows you to blend the pup signal with the mic modelling. I'm pretty sure it probably does a whole other bunch of stuff as well, but I'm too dumb to work it out. The sounds it produces mean you can find 3 or 4 fabulous settings for each of your guitars and they sound like 3 or 4 completely different guitars.
This isn't meant to be an advert for Yamaha (Boss and several others do similar stuff, tho I really like Yamaha gear) but to suggest for that kind of money you can get a lot more versatile unit. If you are only looking for that "one" sound, then the Aura may be the tool for you, but I would think that most people would be impressed by the technology and then move on.
Omaha
Posted 2006-01-16 11:33 AM (#269114 - in reply to #269110)

Originally posted by schroeder:
My Yamaha floor processor offers modelling of 6 mics...
What model do you have? Is it digital?

Jeff
schroeder
Posted 2006-01-16 12:43 PM (#269115 - in reply to #269110)

AG Stomp. Yes it's digital. I've come to love it.
MrDano
Posted 2006-01-16 1:13 PM (#269116 - in reply to #269110)

I've got an aura and to be honest with you I'm not overly impressed - especially considering the price tag. I far more prefer the fishman blender over the aura.

While you can tweak and save setting that fit your personal taste - you can do that with any acoustic DI and get pretty good results. I really don't like the idea that I can only use the first 12 registers neither, so I have to constantly switch out images I like for the factory set images, and no USB support for image transfer (midi only).

Ovation & Aura - not my cup of tea.
Ovation and Fishmen Blender - Love it.

Dano
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)