The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Cracked neck binding

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

45flint
Posted 2006-01-17 8:32 PM (#268787)
Subject: Cracked neck binding

My 87 collectors has binding cracks that are not bad but are noticable as hairline cracks from the sound board down to the black dot that is used on the binding to show neck position. No where is the binding coming off or separating, you can just see this hairline. Is there something short of sending it to Ovation that I can be doing for this. To me is is not that noticable to warrent going back for a full repair.
Steve
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stephent28
Posted 2006-01-17 11:28 PM (#268788 - in reply to #268787)
Subject: Re: Cracked neck binding

My '87 collectors also has fretboard binding cracks. Otherwise, mint condition. It seems that Samova told me that this was common on the '87 collectors.

You can't really feel them, so I never worry about them.....certainly not worth the cost of sending it back in.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-01-17 11:40 PM (#268789 - in reply to #268787)

The neck on my 87 C has a NOS neck on it, put on last August by Ovation. It has one small crack it. Gives it personality.....
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2006-01-18 9:14 AM (#268790 - in reply to #268787)

Binding cracks are common on Ovations with age. I wonder if it is related to humidity, and difference in shrinkage/expansion rates of wood and ivoroid.
jb
Posted 2006-01-18 11:52 AM (#268791 - in reply to #268787)

The fretboard binding on my 9 year old celeb is cracked all over the Chippy. I wouldn't be overly tempted in this case to relate to it any massively technical reason, excepting....

The length of time I've played it, number of times I've wiggled the neck, had it in different stands, put it on a plane and entrusted it to baggage handlers (or Quarterbacks as I believe you guys in the US call them! ;) ), had it in a hot sweaty bar, covered the poor girl in sweat, the desperate time when someone covered the poor girl in Guinness (how none went inside I don't know), and the memorable occasion she was used to fend off a local rugby number 8 (US cats and kittens - think "Linebacker") at fretboard length from the girl who was singing for me at the time. This is why I wouldn't gig an Elite, to be honest!

As far as the USA made ones go, though, I'd say that PaulB's is as good an answer as any. Certainly sounds good and right.

JB
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)