The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
electric guitar amps. need advice.!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

dmkozak
Posted 2006-01-21 9:29 AM (#268572 - in reply to #268547)
Subject: Re: electric guitar amps. need advice.!

Originally posted by dougr:
everyone, sorry if i stepped on some acoustic only toes. but i knew someone here at ofc had electric guitars to, after all, alot of ovations are acoustic/electric and this is probable the best site in the world to get answers on whatever question i had ever had. have a good weekend everyone.
You didn't step on my toes, but, you also didn't read, I mean really read, my original post. I suggested two things. First, I suggested he figure out what he's going to use the amp for, because most amps are designed for "somewhat" specific purposes. Second, I suggested there were other forums devoted more exclusively to electric guitars where he might get answers from people who have played many different electric guitar amps.

Yes, I also have electric guitars. My first guitar was an electric. My first Ovation, which I bought new and still have, is a 1969. And, I started playing electric about five years before that.

With no offense intended, and all due to respect to my fellow OFCer's, who tend to give more reasoned and less emotional opinions than on forums frequented by teen age shredders, many of the posts on this thread are of the "I have ABC and I really like it" posts. These only tell a reader, whether on this forum or any other, guitar or otherwise, that people are happy with their choice but their choice may not have been well thought out. Some people take a shot at something and are happy that it's better than what they had. That doesn't mean they made the best choice.

Now, we know the original poster's price range, but he never answered how he intends to use the amp. So, without knowing what he intends to do with it, I don't understand how anyone can give him a decent recommendation. I mean even with his $300 price range, most peoples' recommendation would be different if he wanted a bedroom only practice amp than if he wanted a garage band jam/rehearsal amp, than if he wanted a small combo coffee house amp, etc, etc.

So, having said my piece, and having (unintentionally) offended a number of my OFC brethren, it's probably best if I leave this thread to others.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-21 11:05 AM (#268573 - in reply to #268547)

No offense taken by me dmkozak. Sometimes I think OFC stands for Old Farts Club. I fit into that group, too. (See the thread started by Stephen P.)
Alaskan Fly Guy
Posted 2006-01-21 11:39 AM (#268574 - in reply to #268547)

If we can talk about Lama's on this site, I don't think an electric guitar amp is too far off for this audience. We are a very diverse group to say the least!

So my 2 cents... I have a 15 amp VOX Pathfinder that is pretty darn impressive for its cost and size. Nice warm tone for an ss and very loud for its size. Kind of "tubey" in a way. I also have a Fender Champ DSP 30 that is in the same price range. This amp has more effects if that is what you need, but to me this amp sounds much more "harsh" than the Pathfinder. The Fender is also a VERY loud amp for its size. Hope this helps a little.
tahitijack
Posted 2006-01-21 5:28 PM (#268575 - in reply to #268547)

I liked my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, which is over your budget, so much I went back a few months later and added its little brother the Blues Jr., which is in your range. Every amp manufacturer has a personality and a loyal following. For me there is just something special about the vibe of a Fender Amp.
mt_spiffy
Posted 2006-01-21 5:36 PM (#268576 - in reply to #268547)

Originally posted by dmkozak:
I mean even with his $300 price range, most peoples' recommendation would be different if he wanted a bedroom only practice amp than if he wanted a garage band jam/rehearsal amp, than if he wanted a small combo coffee house amp, etc, etc.
Very good point.
dougr
Posted 2006-01-22 6:01 PM (#268577 - in reply to #268547)

thanks to all replies , i should have said what i needed an amp for. my celebrity deluxe, i play thru a 50 watt bass amp and it sounds great to me. at church i use a tosh p a and it really sounds good, i have an electric guitar i mess around with at home and i like to play the oldies and hillbilly rock, with thanks to everyone, i found a great deal on ebay on a marshall mg50dfx for 215.00 shipping included and only 1 year old. when i posted this i did it with the thought that musicians whether acoustic, acoustic electric, or electric,or maybe a little of both ,like me ,would have an opinon, i do thank you all for the advice since i buy everything online due to no really good musical stores in my area.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)