The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Multi Processor question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

MWoody
Posted 2006-01-20 12:00 PM (#268510)
Subject: Multi Processor question

I purchased a Digitech RP 80 which is an entry priced multi effects processor. It has Amp modeling as well as most usable effects and a pedal for volume or other options. I have enjoyed playing with the various sounds but I can see limitations.

When I run it through my Fender 25R I get different results than when running through the soundboard at church.

If I “step up” to a different sound processor what are some of the ones that work for you?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cruster
Posted 2006-01-20 1:14 PM (#268511 - in reply to #268510)
Subject: Re: Multi Processor question

The only mfx I have is the GNX4. Don't know how it compares to the RP80, but I like it. A lot. But, I only play it through headphones or into Sonar. No idea what it sounds like amped. On the up side, there is an active GNX4 community/forum, which is nice.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-20 2:09 PM (#268512 - in reply to #268510)

I still haven't figured out the multieffects processor in my Behringer Blue Devil 112 amp. I get a ton of different sounds, but it takes forever to cycle through the options. Behringer makes a separate processor that is basically the same as I have in my amp, but I think it is also entry level and doesn't do as well in the reviews as some of the Digitechs. I've been looking at a Digitech Control 8 as a possible shortcut. I know this doesn't come close to answering MWoody's question, but thought some might slop over some information in my direction.
MrDano
Posted 2006-01-20 2:17 PM (#268513 - in reply to #268510)

The PODxt PRO - it's amazing - and oh so much fun to play with!

Regardless of the effects board you use - they are all digital processors - so the patch will be affected by the output medium. An amp has natural color - so if you tweak an effects patch through the amp and then try the same patch through a PA - it will always sound different since the PA has a predominately flat response.

I like the pod because you can load up the same patch for different outputs and just switch from one to the other.
mt_spiffy
Posted 2006-01-20 3:02 PM (#268514 - in reply to #268510)

Originally posted by MWoody:
When I run it through my Fender 25R I get different results than when running through the soundboard at church.

If I “step up” to a different sound processor what are some of the ones that work for you?
I would "step up" to a better amp. I dont like sound processors or modeling, but ANYTHING will sound like garbage through a 25 watt solid state practice amp.
MWoody
Posted 2006-01-20 4:03 PM (#268515 - in reply to #268510)

I know I'm mixing too much data here. The Fender 25R is by no means considered decent. Eventually I will have an Acoustisonic Jr. or the Genz-Benz spoken of highly in this board. What gets me is how the PA/House Sound eats up and spits out the procesed sound from the Digitech Rp 80.

Will others FX processers send a stronger signal or is this just fine?

Is a consolidated effects set up still better or is this still workable?
Waskel
Posted 2006-01-20 4:17 PM (#268516 - in reply to #268510)

Michael, I've had the same experience with my RP300a. Stuff that sounds great through my Marshall AS50R sounds like mush at church. I think it's a combination of the acoustical differences between an amp you are close to and the 'unfocused' sound of a large room, such as a church, and as Dano said, a PA will have a different effect on the sound than an amp.
I don't think the pedal has anything to do with it, the output level should be fine. I would suggest you spend some time at the church tweaking it to sound best there, and save those presets to use on Sunday.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-20 4:19 PM (#268517 - in reply to #268510)

Will you guys just bring all your toys over to my house and show me what the hell you're talking about?
Old Guitars & Triumph Cars
Posted 2006-01-20 6:39 PM (#268518 - in reply to #268510)

Does your fender have a post preamp? If so that is where to patch. otherwise I agree that taking the time and tweaking in the performance area is the way to go. I've tried both a RP100 and a RP2000 but have settled on using a Laney 50 watt linebacker amp w/ reverb and chorus along with a Yorkville acoustic amp w/ different acoustical effects. I use a Schecter C1/EA guitar which has a piezo by Tone Works in the bridge saddle that allows for either full electric or full acoustic, that sounds very nice, or a combination of both that can give the effect of two guitars in use. I can still run my Legend when it is a truely dedicated acoustic number but also have the options with the Schecter to use anyting from distortion to very jazzy tones to realistic acoustic. I find this setup very conducive for myself and the sound engineer. By the way, I really enjoy the Yorkville amp.
Now does anybody out there have a Breadwinner/Deacon preamp working or not they would part with?
JeffreyD
Posted 2006-01-20 6:50 PM (#268519 - in reply to #268510)

I have an RP100 and an old RP6. Neither is intended for acoustic/electric guitars, rather for solidbody electrics, however I have used both with acoustics.

I have never had a signal strength problem, but the sound is always as noted before....digital. Which for my purposes is okay as I am looking to "fill" for our lack of drums and bass. I have used mine through my Barbetta for church and it sounds a bit more trebly than when running through my Mackie/EV home PA system.

If you are using an AE guitar, adjust your settings to simply compliment the natural sound. For instance I use very little EQ, and like to add varying degrees of chorus, some lots, some little. Don't use many other tones on the AE.

Now on my Carvin DC400 with the piezo pickup, I can get some very interesting things going on by blending the piezo and using the acoustic simulation in the RP100...but that is another thread.

Truth be known, however, I like what I like and am not much of an expert on what other folks think is good sound.

I am telling you guys....if you don't at least try the Barbetta amp (Sona 23C) you will kick yourself later. It's a sleeper in my opinion (well...high priced, but sleeper none-the-less).
MWoody
Posted 2006-01-21 11:48 AM (#268520 - in reply to #268510)

I am more in line with Mark in Boise.

I don't use the 25R - its just a home practice amp and it doesn't have a "goes-out" to patch through the PA.

I was only refering to the solids for the modeling but I have played with the Papoose through some effects via a Morley switch.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-21 12:05 PM (#268521 - in reply to #268510)

It looks like we'll have to meet in the middle in Hermiston when the weather gets better. I bought the 25R for my daughter last year as a practice amp. It has a decent sound with an acoustic, but mostly I bought it because it was a good brand name for a college kid. It definitely is limited to a practice amp and there's not much else to do with it.
When we get into effects and modeling we go over my head pretty fast.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)