The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New Ovation Player w/ questions

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Highway61
Posted 2006-01-21 2:45 PM (#268388)
Subject: New Ovation Player w/ questions

Hello All,
My girlfriend bought me an Ovation Elite 1778T, which, of course, is unbelievably cool, but here's my prdicament: She didn't buy it from the local dealer of Ovations (or from AlPep--sorry); she bought it from a co-worker. But I would like to get it it setup professionally (actually want to raise the action just a bit), and the guitar tech who does all my guitars (and whose work I trust without condition) is employed by the local dealer. I just don't feel comfortable, I'm afraid, to take this guitar in to the store when I didn't but it there.
So, does anyone know someone I might take the guitar to in the Phoenix, AZ area?
Thank you sincerely in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-01-21 2:58 PM (#268389 - in reply to #268388)
Subject: Re: New Ovation Player w/ questions

you can just add a shim under the saddle if you just want to raise the action a bit. You may not even need to mess with the truss rod, but even that is pretty straight forward if you need to do it. With the shim added make 1/4 clockwise turn.

StandingOvation will know a luthier in the area...
Highway61
Posted 2006-01-21 4:03 PM (#268390 - in reply to #268388)

Thank you.
Hate to admit it, but I keep reading about these shims, but where does one procure such things? :-)
Does Kaman usually throw a few shims in with the Allen wrench?
I typed in "shim" at StewMac, but it didn't turn up anything.
Thanks again.
Jeff
Posted 2006-01-21 4:10 PM (#268391 - in reply to #268388)

You can use an old credit card (if you have one laying around) or a business card, and cut the shims from that. Depending on how high you want to raise the action, you can usually get at least three or four shims outta one card.
JeffreyD
Posted 2006-01-21 4:12 PM (#268392 - in reply to #268388)

Take it in and have your dealer set it up. I have bought a lot of stuff from my dealer over the years and don't feel bashful about paying them for a service they offer for a fee on something I didn't buy there.

If it is a good dealer, just do it. Matter of fact, I bought a used W597 from ebay that was really ugly. Took it in and they were tickled to work on it. It is now the most fantastic acoustic action I have ever played. $40 and worth every nickel.

They will treat you good cause they want to sell you all the really high profit margin stuff like strings, picks, an acoustic amp eventually...etc...etc.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-01-21 4:15 PM (#268393 - in reply to #268388)

You can get thin metal (brass or other) at any decent hardware store and cut to size. I've used magnetic keys from hotels I've stayed...any thin sturdy plastic or metal will suffice.

Ovation Factory does have the truss tool and shims. If you email Kim or John at customer service, I bet they can arrange to send some to you.
Jeff
Posted 2006-01-21 4:19 PM (#268394 - in reply to #268388)

What is it about this thread that's attracting all the Jeffs... Anyway, I assume the guitar is used, since you said your wife bought it from a co-worker, in which case your dealer shouldn't have a problem with it, or you (he shouldn't have a problem with it in any case). Essentially, you got it as a gift, so he should be happy for you.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-01-21 4:22 PM (#268395 - in reply to #268388)

Funny about "Jeff's" here at OFC. I meet so few people named "Jeff" on any other given day...
Highway61
Posted 2006-01-21 4:36 PM (#268396 - in reply to #268388)

Thank you for all of your replies.
I have to make a distinction: the tech is a great guy. He wouldn't care where the guitar was purchased. However, he works for the local dealer, and they are total sphincters. I despise the store. I would rather go to Guitar Center--which says a lot, because I arrange my life so as not to have to go to Guitar Center.
That's why I'm in this quandary.
I guess I'll have to try the credit card thing.
I'm just getting back into acoustic guitars after a long period of denying my real strengths as a player and playing solidbody electrics. I learned, over the years, how to make many of the adjustments necessary to keep a solidbody tweaked, but acoustics--well, I'm still frightened of disturbing the equilibrium of the very few parts that come together to make a great one.
BruDeV
Posted 2006-01-21 4:40 PM (#268397 - in reply to #268388)

Most small stores make most of their money via lessons, rentals and repairs/service. So go ahead and take it in. Tell them it was a gift.
tahitijack
Posted 2006-01-21 5:18 PM (#268398 - in reply to #268388)

I doubt that the jirk dealer is the only Ovation dealer in the Phoenix metro. Find another "local" Ovation dealer(not Guitar Center) and take there. There should never be an issue of bringing in a guitar for work, even if you did not buy it at the store. What if you buy a guitar in Dallas and two years later move to Chicago? Would you have to take it back to the Dallas store when it needs work? If all guitars purchsed privately could no get tech support form guitar shops we would never buy gear from each other. Most shops will ask "Did you buy it here?" for a number of reasons. They may offer a discount on work if you bought it there or free set-up on all guitars new or used or simply check to see if you recently purchased it from their shop and it was given to you in poor condition, who allowed it to go out the door without a proper set-up.
OldLiverJones
Posted 2006-01-21 5:43 PM (#268399 - in reply to #268388)

Highway61, there is a place in Phoenix called precision guitar. They fix and set up guitars. The phone number is 602 265 7760. They are quite reasonable and very professional.
Highway61
Posted 2006-01-21 5:51 PM (#268400 - in reply to #268388)

Originally posted by OldLiverJones:
Highway61, there is a place in Phoenix called precision guitar. They fix and set up guitars. The phone number is 602 265 7760. They are quite reasonable and very professional.
Thank you, OLJ. I'll probably give them a call.
Everyone: again, thanks for all of the responses. The level of discourse, here, has reinforced my feelings about having ventured into Ovation territory.
OldLiverJones
Posted 2006-01-21 5:57 PM (#268401 - in reply to #268388)

Highway61
Thank you, OLJ. I'll probably give them a call.
You are welcome. I used them during a busy time and it took a week to get the guitar done. Other than that, they were great. They did let me know up front how long it would take.
Capo Guy
Posted 2006-01-22 4:31 PM (#268402 - in reply to #268388)

As posted by Highway61;

I guess I'll have to try the credit card thing.
Use one of your wife's. :D
jb
Posted 2006-01-23 2:56 AM (#268403 - in reply to #268388)

Originally posted by Highway61:
The level of discourse, here, has reinforced my feelings about having ventured into Ovation territory.
You can tell he's new!

Only kidding, all - welcome to a little Island of sanity floating in the sea of real life, Highway61.

Enjoy!

JB
guitarwannabee
Posted 2006-01-24 5:40 PM (#268404 - in reply to #268388)

A woman who would go out on her own and reward her man with a guitar ,,, Ohh man I want to marry her and have her Ovations .

What are you guys missing it ????????????

""A WOMAN WENT OUT & BOUGHT A GUITAR AND BROUGHT IT HOME TO HER MAN "" because she loves him and all of his his guitars.

If my wife came in the house with a guitar in her hand and said it was for me , I would be walking funny with neck of it sticking out my A## and Id be wearing the bowl for a hat .
Gotta Luv that girl ... GWB
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-24 6:11 PM (#268405 - in reply to #268388)

My wife claimed for years that she bought me my first Ovation as a wedding present (even though I sold 2 guitars to help pay for the O). I should have encouraged her to buy me more, so I could brag about how great she was.
Some of these lessons we learn too late.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)