The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Custom Legend 1869 Truss Rod Adjustment

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

FeloniousMonk
Posted 2006-01-21 10:02 PM (#268357)
Subject: Ovation Custom Legend 1869 Truss Rod Adjustment

I'm having difficulty adjusting the truss rod on this guitar (Ovation Custom Legend 1869 shallow body). The manual says I need "Ovation Adjustment Wrench (#950033-X)".

I have ball-end hex allen wrenches in every size for metric and inches. 1.5mm to 10mm and 1/16" to 3/8".

The closest fit seems to be the 4.5mm and the 3/16". Both seem to catch just fine.

But the truss rod itself won't budge in either direction, and I'm reluctant to use a lot of pressure. These L-shaped wrenches I have are rather hard to get a good enough grip on to really exert a lot of force.

Any ideas? Is it actually possible to special order the Ovation Adjustment Wrench (#950033-X)?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BruDeV
Posted 2006-01-21 10:47 PM (#268358 - in reply to #268357)
Subject: Re: Ovation Custom Legend 1869 Truss Rod Adjustment

Loosen the strings and try again. Loosen the nut first before tightening it. Don't force it. If it still won't turn you'll probably need to take it in to have it freed up.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-01-21 10:48 PM (#268359 - in reply to #268357)

Originally posted by FeloniousMonk:
Is it actually possible to special order the Ovation Adjustment Wrench (#950033-X)?
Yes. Call/email customer service.
FeloniousMonk
Posted 2006-01-21 11:32 PM (#268360 - in reply to #268357)

A tech at Guitar Center gave me a standard size hex wrench that he got from stock from an Ovation case, but it actually doesn't fit (but just by a tiny amount). Is the one you get from Ovation a particularly long hex wrench? The one I got from GC is like 2.5" long on the longer part of the "L" shape.

I should probably just make sure I get the right part directly from Ovation. I got this guitar off of Ebay, so I'm not really sure what kind of condition the truss rod may have been in. A tech adjusted the neck slightly for me when I first got the guitar, because I went from .10s to .11s. Now I'm going to .12s, but in the meantime I'll leave it in Eb tuning to keep the proper neck relief.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)