The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Yes, but how about unamplified?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Highway61
Posted 2006-01-22 1:48 PM (#268328)
Subject: Yes, but how about unamplified?

As I've posted in another thread, I'm new to Ovations, having been given a 1778T Elite by my girlfriend (not wife, as someone else suggested, but that would be another thread entirely.)
Here's my question:
This guitar is great. It might be the best guitar I've ever owned (I've owned many). I have never had a guitar that intonated chords, as well as lead lines, with any degree of reliability past the 14th fret.
But as great as it is, it needs amplification to really exude its greatness. Which Ovation--is there one?--would be just as great but would also be able to project well unamplified?
In other words, which model is the loudest unplugged?
Thank you sincerely.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2006-01-22 2:08 PM (#268329 - in reply to #268328)
Subject: Re: Yes, but how about unamplified?

Think "deep bowl". Only a few current production models offer it. The Al DeMiola signature model and the U681T are two of them. You could also look for a used model. Check and see what Al has in stock as far as new and used. He will steer you to what you are lookng for.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-01-22 3:19 PM (#268330 - in reply to #268328)

I have 4 deep bowls from various parts of the Ovation spectrum. Matrix on one end of the 6 string line and the 1537 on the other end. Both project a clear, distinctly Ovation sound, but the 1537 is warmer.
The Classic is the loudest nylon string I have heard and the Applause 12 also projects well, but you can hear the lack of quality in the Applause. It may be that the strings are 10 years old and I hardly ever play it.
My point is that any of the deep bowls will project well, with the Balladeer or Legend generating a different sound than the Elites, but whether better or worse is a matter of taste.
45flint
Posted 2006-01-22 5:52 PM (#268331 - in reply to #268328)

I started playing Ovations with a Elite shallow bowl, loved the guitar, great fingering and sound. Bought a Elite mid-depth to increase acoustic sound. It was better acoustically. Just acquired a deep bowl 87 collectors - It is amazing. I really didn't take the deep bowl guys on this website that seriously until I got this guitar. It is simply amazing acoustically. Both the quality of the tone and the volume. I played it today in church with a strap and I don't have any issues handling the guitar with this deep whatsoever. I wish I would have started out my acquisitions in reverse and I would probably have three deep bowl ovations now.
Steve
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-01-22 6:12 PM (#268332 - in reply to #268328)

Originally posted by 45flint:
I really didn't take the deep bowl guys on this website that seriously
Luke, I am your father....
Standingovation
Posted 2006-01-22 6:58 PM (#268333 - in reply to #268328)

You have 2 choices. You can either feck around with a few shallows and mids and go through a lot of money to find out yourself. Or you can listen to what 8 out of 10 people on this board will tell you about deep bowls. Here, let me spin my desk chair 'round n 'round the room ... yup, there's a deep bowl, and another, there's another one, and 2 more, look - a contour, and here comes the 12's, oops another deep one ... Oh yes, there is that one shallow, just waiting for the day I'm invited to play on stage for the Bay City Rollers reunion tour. Go DEEP young man ...

Dave
Tommy M.
Posted 2006-01-23 3:12 PM (#268334 - in reply to #268328)

Although I appreciate the rich sound of the deep bowls, you may want to try a few LX models. They will surprise you with their sound. The folks at Ovation promote them as being louder and lighter than other models. My LX is just as loud as my deep bowls, and all wood guitars.
OldLiverJones
Posted 2006-01-23 11:12 PM (#268335 - in reply to #268328)

StandingO claims:
Here, let me spin my desk chair 'round n 'round the room ... yup, there's a deep bowl, and another, there's another one, and 2 more, look - a contour, and here comes the 12's, oops another deep one ... Oh yes, there is that one shallow,
I take that your solidbody guitars are in another room.
Francis
Posted 2006-01-24 2:24 AM (#268336 - in reply to #268328)

I tried the LX models and was amazed at sound. Of course I own Celebraties, but still you can't go wrong with the deep bowl or any of the LX models......
Francis
Posted 2006-01-24 2:25 AM (#268337 - in reply to #268328)

I tried the LX models and was amazed at sound. Of course I own Celebraties, but still you can't go wrong with the deep bowl or any of the LX models......
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)