The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
O/T: Guitar Center rant

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

dragonboy
Posted 2006-02-07 1:21 AM (#266526)
Subject: O/T: Guitar Center rant

There was a recent thread regarding favorite music stores, which had some great responses. Now, how about reversing the question? More specifically, I'm wondering if there's anyone else as sorry as I am to see Guitar Center dominating the music store biz? I know they have their supporters, but I'm not one of them. I much prefer supporting a local guitar shop and people like Al. But, at the same time, when GC is the only store handy and you need a set of strings, what can you do?

(For purposes of this question, please ignore the way Ovation is treated by GC. Judging from previous posts, it varies greatly from store to store.)

Anyway, here goes... IMHO:

1.) It's always way too noisy in a GC. (They even beat Best Buy on the db meter, which is hard to do.) On the main floor there's always five or more people playing around with guitars & amps, and every one of them is determined to be louder than they guy sitting three feet to their right... and this is often true in the drum room, the keyboard room, and even sometimes in the pro-audio room.

2.) Hard rock / metal is pushed way too much over other styles of music. (I felt this way back in my own hard rock days. Even then, I wondered what people into jazz or what not were supposed to do.)

3.) If you ever happen to find a salesman who is both helpful and knows what he is talking about, he won't be employed there the next time you go in.

5.) Age is sometimes relevant, sometimes not... but wearing jeans and a T-shirt (preferably music-oriented; any brand or band will do) is just about a must to get an employee's attention. Stopping by after work in shirt and tie is about as good as wearing Harry Potter's invisibility cloak; it's like they can't see you.

That's it. Rant over. Now, what say you about your experiences with Guitar Center, or for that matter, with any other Big Box music retailer... IYHO, are they the greatest thing since sliced bread, annoying but necessary, or to be avoided at all costs except for emergencies / convenience / or when they're the only game in town?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tony Calman
Posted 2006-02-07 2:37 AM (#266527 - in reply to #266526)
Subject: Re: O/T: Guitar Center rant

MadDog,

GC in La Mesa (San Diego) has the strings and accessories that most of the guitar shops off of El Cajon Blvd and University (near San Diego State Univ.) don't carry. Work your way through 60+ crazed teenagers dropped off by parents on Saturday (cheap baby sitting) and you go back to several quiet rooms and the inner sanctum of acoustic and a/e guitars. The employees may not remember my name but they remember me even though I rarely go in...they may have only a few US O's but they go to NAMM and are familiar with what is offered. If a display is available such as the one last year for the LX, it is displayed. Even their Celeb guitars are close to the "inner sanctum", seperate from the electrics - good and bad since they look so good but they are not at the level of a US made.

Their problem? They carry what corporate buys. They sell what they have in stock. If they have the guitar in stock and don't appreciate it, maybe that is the fault of the Kaman rep. Maybe Kaman is taking GC for granted. ??

Am I part of the problem? Maybe. I buy from Al. Could I order from GC? Sure, but I don't. Not because I would get an inferior product but because I support someone who supports us.
matrix
Posted 2006-02-07 6:37 AM (#266528 - in reply to #266526)

I have the luxury of shopping at 2 other Ovation stores, besides the brand new GC in Fort Wayne IN. Sweetwater sound and B-Sharp guitars.(the latter being one of my favorites). As far as strings go, you would have a hard time beating the prices at First Quality Music ( 800-635-2021,or www.fqms.com) I ordered 12 sets of strings on a Tues., and got them by usps by Fri. Check em out.KG
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-02-07 10:15 AM (#266529 - in reply to #266526)

I'm a regular at the local GC, but I'm also a regular at the little shop near my office. They know me at GC, much to my wife's dismay. It is too noisey. They like it that way and don't understand that some of us old folks like quiet. I asked them to turn off the humidifiers in the acoustic room one time and they couldn't understand why.
On the good side, I have a standing offer from GC for a job at minimum wage. I told them they should just pay me for all the time I spend tuning their damn guitars. I'm holding out for double since I'm at least twice the age of the next oldest guy.
dmkozak
Posted 2006-02-07 10:34 AM (#266530 - in reply to #266526)

It seems as tho the vast majority of guitar i-net posters really dislike GC. I don't know, but I hope the continuous rants against them makes the posters feel better. (Railing on someone in a public forum never makes me feel better, but there might be something wrong with me.) I guess most of them vote with their wallets and don't buy from GC. I don't buy from GC either, but I don't dislike them. I think they serve a useful function. They have plenty of guitars for me to try out!

For that reason I hope the people who support them continue to support them and I hope people wanting to learn and play instruments patronize them.
Standingovation
Posted 2006-02-07 10:47 AM (#266531 - in reply to #266526)

Don't go into a smokey bar and complain that people are smoking and getting drunk. I live 4 miles from a GC and I do shop there. The trick is to know what you want before going. Walk in, pick it out and get the hell out. Drum sticks, cables, strings, etc. It's not a place to browse and certainly not a place to sit down in a quiet corner and try an acoustic guitar with the intent of making a significant purchase decision. GC fills a role and I don't mind supporting them in my small way. Plus their dumpster is a great source of guitar shipping boxes. Dave

PS - Hey Al, did you notice that the case you recently sent me was in MY box? I noticed the RG number written on it was in my handwriting. Sure enough the old FedEx label that you crossed out was from me sending a guitar to the factory for service. Those cheap bastards at the factory must have used a USED box to send you a guitar at some point. Small world.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-02-07 11:01 AM (#266532 - in reply to #266526)

Geez, now Dave is a dumpster-diver. Until just before Christmas, I never bought a guitar from GC. They didn't have the higher end O's that I would like to try and wanted way too much for the used ones. Strings, books, wall hangers, and even an amp, yes. I complained that they weren't giving me good deals and then bought 2 guitars as Christmas presents. An identical Celebrity Deluxe to the one that I paid $290 went for $455 on ebay the other day. So they did alright by me.
Slipkid
Posted 2006-02-07 11:13 AM (#266533 - in reply to #266526)

Our GC had quite a few Celebs set out with crazy low prices like that. It's a great deal if that is what you are looking for.
dragonboy
Posted 2006-02-07 12:31 PM (#266534 - in reply to #266526)

It seems as tho the vast majority of guitar i-net posters really dislike GC.
Actually, I've disliked GC since the early 80's... maybe it's the other way around: people who dislike GC end up liking posting on guitar i-net sites.

I don't know, but I hope the continuous rants against them makes the posters feel better.
I don't know that it makes me feel better, I just hate being ignored when I shop. I trained people in customer service for years when I was in H/R management, and the way I see customers treated in GC ticks me off. It's not 100% of the time, I'll grant you... but most of the time, it's pretty bad. (Then again, the customer service in Taco Bell ain't exactly perfect, either...)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-02-07 12:59 PM (#266535 - in reply to #266526)

I don't dislike GC's, I just accept them for what they are.... Life's too damned short to spend part of it actively dislike a store.
Mitchrx
Posted 2006-02-07 1:18 PM (#266536 - in reply to #266526)

Each GC is different. The one near my office is well run. I usually just buy strings and accesories there though. I've never felt ignored. The few independent music shops in my area don't have the selection and their prices are higher than GC's. There's also a Sam Ash in the same town. I buy stuff there too.

IMHO, nobody should go into any store to make a purchase (other than clothes) of something over $100 and expect to get unbiased information from the sales staff. Comparison shopping should be done with the internet. It's fast, easy, and if you sort through enough "epinions" you can find what meets your needs and budget. If you're looking for a guitar, amp or effect, it's almost a must to first check out the reviews at Harmony Central. Then go to GC and try it out in person.

I've found guitar shipping boxes in GC and Sam Ash's dumpsters, but it's preferable to go in, buy a set of strings, and ask then for a guitar box.
cliff
Posted 2006-02-07 1:58 PM (#266537 - in reply to #266526)

". . Life's too damned short to spend part of it actively dislike a store . ."

. . unless it's WalMart.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-02-07 2:06 PM (#266538 - in reply to #266526)

I like WalMart....
Paulcc1
Posted 2006-02-07 2:33 PM (#266539 - in reply to #266526)

I like Kohls they have great sales on men clothes. Got me a pair of Docker jeans for $7.00
Pauly
cliff
Posted 2006-02-07 3:16 PM (#266540 - in reply to #266526)

". . I like WalMart . ."

Of course you do . . .
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-02-07 5:17 PM (#266541 - in reply to #266526)

Our GC guys are always nice and try to help. We just don't relate well. The last salesman offered me a pick to try out a Martin (I know), but when I said I didn't use one he acted like he had never heard of that before.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)