The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Serious bridge problem

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Triple_x_bo
Posted 2006-02-07 2:21 PM (#266445)
Subject: Serious bridge problem

Hey people.
Just wanted to share and hopefully get some info back from others if they've encountered/seen/heard anything like this before.
No it's not about how to adjust the bridge, too low/high action or fret buzz, what wouldn't I give to have a problem like that.

Anyway, here's the deal. Last November I bought a 12 string 6758T-5, I've been wanting a 12 string Ovation for as long as I could remember and finally I found one that was "me".
I loved the guitar, the first few weeks I couldn't keep my hands off it, it was the jewel in my guitar collection.

Then this weekend as I was dosing off to sleep I heard a big TWAAAAANG from the living room, too tired to really investigate it I thought that maybe one of the strings snapped or that maybe the guitar just fell off it's stand. Don't ask me what I was thinking, next second I was fast asleep.
Imagine to my disgust and pure horror when I woke up the next morning to find that the sound I heard was that the entire bridge had snapped completely off the body, it was just hanging there from the strings.
For what felt like ages I just stood there with my mouth open trying to come to terms with what I was seeing.

So that's it, my brand new guitar, my pride and joy completely wrecked and useless.
So my question is, has anyone ever experienced this themselves or heard of this before, on either Ovation or any other brand for that matter? I certainly haven't.

And before you ask, No, I don't have it next to a fire place, radiator, fridge freezer with the door open, I don't have any pets, kids or rats that could come out at night and gnaw on it and I don't act a rock'n'roll maniac swinging the guitar from it's neck or throwing it up in the air.
It's kept in a proper guitar stand, in a living room that's kept at a constant 21 degrees celcius (approx 70 Fahrenheit) and I hadn't even touched it all day as I hadn't been home.

No replies from the people at Ovation so far regarding the actual problem at hand, if it's a manufacturing problem, poor quality control or what it could be.
Thankful for any insights anyone may have.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2006-02-07 2:41 PM (#266446 - in reply to #266445)
Subject: Re: Serious bridge problem

This is an unusual thing to happen. If you just got it in November it should still be under warranty. Contact the service depart. Dave
Slipkid
Posted 2006-02-07 2:47 PM (#266447 - in reply to #266445)

Hello Triple-X...
I'm sorry your first post has to be about a big problem. The big question is....Did you buy it new? If you a eligble for warrenty the factory will take good care of you. If you do not have a warrenty they will still help you out at a very fair price.
Melmoth
Posted 2006-02-07 2:48 PM (#266448 - in reply to #266445)

Never owned an Ovation 12 but I have had the exact same thing happen on an Epiphone 12. I'd talk to Ovation. I'm sure they'll make it right.
Triple_x_bo
Posted 2006-02-07 2:51 PM (#266449 - in reply to #266445)

Yes, I bought it new so I'm not disputing the warranty issue here. What I'm wondering is about the actual cause of the problem, out of my 20 odd years of playing I've never heard of it ever happening.
Melmoth
Posted 2006-02-07 2:53 PM (#266450 - in reply to #266445)

My guess would be badly cured adhesive on the bridge. When it came off, did the adhesive stay on the bridge or on the guitar? Or did it bring a hunk of the guitar with it?
Triple_x_bo
Posted 2006-02-07 3:03 PM (#266451 - in reply to #266445)

Melmoth>
It stayed on the bridge and took maybe 1 (one) millimeter of the guitar with it.
MWoody
Posted 2006-02-07 3:20 PM (#266452 - in reply to #266445)

Sounds like innadequate adhesion. That epoxy bond should be the last thing to go. They go to great lengths to actually route the bridge area, pressure bond it on the top and obtain perfect intonation.
Triple_x_bo
Posted 2006-02-07 3:37 PM (#266453 - in reply to #266445)

Thanks guys, I think you've hit the nail on the head about it being an adhesion issue.
So my next question to Ovation will be if they've cut any corners, used poor (cheaper) adhesives, did the adhesive supplier send a bad batch? Inadequate quality control at the factory?

It's just sad that this has to be my first experience with Ovation, it's a bit like finally loosing your virginity only to get stuck with a nasty, stingy v.d.
It will make you think twice next time around.
schroeder
Posted 2006-02-07 3:47 PM (#266454 - in reply to #266445)

Originally posted by Triple_x_bo:
Thanks guys, I think you've hit the nail on the head about it being an adhesion issue.
So my next question to Ovation will be if they've cut any corners, used poor (cheaper) adhesives, did the adhesive supplier send a bad batch? Inadequate quality control at the factory?

It's just sad that this has to be my first experience with Ovation, it's a bit like finally loosing your virginity only to get stuck with a nasty, stingy v.d.

Wow - you found 'em out real quick. It's a fact they've managed to hide from the general public, but over 98% of all Oavations have sprung their bridges within 6 months of manufacture. The figures for Adamas are supposed to be worse, but nobody really knows. They'll be in touch as soon as they read this to buy your silence and give you antibiotics. We've all made a fortune out of not telling. Keep quiet and look forward to the monthly pay checks.
It will make you think twice next time around.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-02-07 5:03 PM (#266455 - in reply to #266445)

Any manufacturing process has occasional glitches, especially when there's human work involved. I bet your experience is a small fraction of a percent. When it happens to you, it doesn't help to know that it never happened to anyone else. Kind of like trying to find the good news in being told you have a rare disease.
TommyK
Posted 2006-02-07 6:51 PM (#266456 - in reply to #266445)

WHAT caused it to fail is irrelevant... to you.
Since you purchased it new, I'd say you have a valid warranty claim. Take it back to the dealership, request a replacement. Once the defective guitar gets back to the factory, they can sort it all out and start the finger pointing game. Mean while, you've got your new girl... I mean guitar to sit on your lap.
Triple_x_bo
Posted 2006-02-08 2:06 AM (#266457 - in reply to #266445)

TommyK>>
Aaah, but it's not irrelevant. Not that I'm out to point fingers or to find someone to blame but personally I'd like to know why it happened and reassurance it won't happen again.
Let's say they just take another guitar from the shelf that's made in the same batch, how will I know that the bridge won't snap off 5 minutes prior to going on stage?
Or if I'm travelling and I open the case only to find it's broken. Do I blame the airline? I think you get my drift.

Mark>
I'm fully aware and understand that manufacturing processes have glitches, I myself work for a major manufacturer of high tech products and from time to time there are quality problems.
But that's why I posted the thread here. I wanted to know if it really was a small fraction of percent and I just got extremely unlucky, or if people in here with longer experience of Ovation had heard of this before and could give some insights.
At least so far it seems I just got extremely unlucky which in itself is reassuring because the odds of it happening again are rising by the minute, a bit like the "lightning never strikes twice in the same place" theory.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2006-02-08 5:47 AM (#266458 - in reply to #266445)

I think if this were not an unusual problem that the regulars on this forum and long-time Ovation players would be well aware of it. My $.02: this is not a common phenomenon.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-02-08 5:51 AM (#266459 - in reply to #266445)

I've played Ovations for over 30 years. I've never had anything like this happen to one of my guitars. But stuff does happen. Ovation has built over 600,000 guitars just in the USA in the last 40 years (many many more when you count in the imports) and like all manufacturers, some product does have problems.

The question I'd have, if I were you, is, will Ovation stand behind their product? Will they fix it or replace it with little fuss or muss? I think you'll find that they are very responsive to problems like this one.

You're first step should probably be to contact the dealer thru whom you bought the guitar. If they won't help you, then go to Ovation customer service.

Assuming that the guitar was purchased new thru an authorized dealer, and that you sent the warranty card in, you shouldn't have any problems.

As to Ovation having a whole "batch" of guitars built at the same time and having problems, I've only heard of that happening once, with special circumstances, and Ovation took them all back and made them right. They're an outstanding company when it comes to satisfying the customer.
matrix
Posted 2006-02-08 6:08 AM (#266460 - in reply to #266445)

I had a pacemaker 12 string at one time, the bridge didn't pop off, but it seperated. I bought it used, so I couldn't get it fixed under warranty. The dealer told me that I should not put the guitat up to standard pitch. Keep it down at least 1/2 step off of A-440. I don't know how much less tension that would be. If this helps in the future. KG
Dexter Russ
Posted 2006-02-08 11:23 AM (#266461 - in reply to #266445)

To calculate string tension, download this handy utility >HERE<

I would be totally disenchanted with any guitar, 12 string or otherwise, I couldn't safely tune to concert pitch
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-02-08 1:36 PM (#266462 - in reply to #266445)

...what Moody said....

and quit tuning up two whole steps....
MWoody
Posted 2006-02-08 1:45 PM (#266463 - in reply to #266445)

Ovation guitars are designed to be set at concert pitch.

Your issue was isolated and rare.

Once you have broken a string while tuning you may remain nervous each time after but the Ovation Bridges do not just pop off unless something is wrong.

I sold a guitar to a very understanding OFC Member where the hide Glue holding the bridge never fully hardened. We took acare of it! Things happen.
Dexter Russ
Posted 2006-02-08 2:49 PM (#266464 - in reply to #266445)

Mr. MWoody... I just happen to be writing this from your very location at this time... Small world! My comments were not intended to disparage Ovation in any way. My 1655 has 3 bolts through the bridge/bridgeplate in addition to the std. gluing. Twelve strings generate considerable pull. Regardless, when they come loose, it is the exception, not the rule as you mentioned. It happens to 6 strings, 12 strings, nylon and all. It is an anomaly, albeit a distressing one.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2006-02-08 7:40 PM (#266465 - in reply to #266445)

I don't think you need to bother with the dealer. If you filled out your warranty card and sent it in then the service dept. has it in their file. Email Kim Keller (a friend to us all) at: kkeller-kmc@kaman.com. Give him the ser.# of your guitar and tell him what happened. Believe us when we tell you...NO ONE is as well connected to their guitar company as we all are connected to Ovation. As far as coming from a "bad "batch, the bridge attachment is done BY HAND with great skill and care ONE guitar at a time. I know it's a long trip, but you really ought to join us at the factory tour in May and see things for yourself. John <>{
Dexter Russ
Posted 2006-02-08 11:44 PM (#266466 - in reply to #266445)

Wow... I just did the math on my O-1655. Strung w/John Pearse Lights @ (47w/27w-39w/18p-30w/12p-23w/10p-14p/14p-10p/10p) it comes up at a whopping 259 lbs. string tension (25.4 scale length). Again...WOW! I was thinking more like 220 something. No wonder they can 'pop' now and again. Big difference from the ±187 for meds (13-56). and ±162 for lights (12-53) at the same scale length (6 string).
matrix
Posted 2006-02-09 6:08 AM (#266467 - in reply to #266445)

When Ovation first started making 12 strings, the brocure said to tune them one whole step down from concert.
TommyK
Posted 2006-02-09 8:17 AM (#266468 - in reply to #266445)

If it were me, and it ain't, but if it were me, I'd take it back to the dealer for a replacement. If the replacement similarly failed, I'd give'em one more chance with the caveat that the dealer and the manufacturer understood that if the third one failed, I'd get my entire investment back. Then I'd go down the street to the Gibson store and get a different guitar.
Triple_x_bo
Posted 2006-02-09 2:53 PM (#266469 - in reply to #266445)

Quick little update. I've been on the phone and email last couple of days with the people at Kaman and it's just like some of you guys said, they look after their guitars and the owners.
Thanks again for your input, it's been very valuable.
Cheers!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)