The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Old New Kid with a question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Tomteriffic
Posted 2011-08-09 11:12 PM (#1023)
Subject: Old New Kid with a question

Hi Folks, TomT here. Some of you might recognize my mugly ug from the Hamer board. I just acquired one of the new D-Scale (long-neck) 778TX's. It should be a huge help with some tunes that my wife and I do in our "folk 'n' roll with a bad attitude" trio. sort of along the lines of what Al and Suzipep do.

I've had a 1778 Elite for quite a while and, as this longneck is supposed to be based on that, I figured it would be no sweat to be up and running in minutes. Well, some wiseguy moved the truss rod nut to the inside of the guitar (it takes a 3/16" allen key and some patience, BTW)and the action was incredibly high, even after a truss rod tweak.

The QC tag said that the 12th fret action was 1.8 and 2.2 (millimeters, I presume) on the high and low E's. I'm measuring at least twice those figures. :eek:

So there's my question. It is possible to lower the bridge saddle? If so, how?? No other ovation I've ever owned has had anything close to this high an action. I realize that this is the import version, but this action is more in the cigar box guitar category.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2011-08-10 12:07 AM (#1024 - in reply to #1023)
Subject: Re: Old New Kid with a question

Welcome Tom!

Generally they pack more shims than you'll ever need when they put the USA O's together and I'd guess that's the same. Just remove a few shims and find your own sweet spot.

The scale is a little longer but not that significant.
If the shims are gone and the Saddle is bottomed out then you'll need a Luthier to route the pocket a little more or reset the neck.

Are the AX/TX Necks removable?
Damon67
Posted 2011-08-10 4:30 PM (#1025 - in reply to #1023)

Hey Tom,

I've updated your account so feel free to post your question in the main General section.

Did you look under the saddle to see if there are indeed shims there?
Tomteriffic
Posted 2011-08-10 4:59 PM (#1026 - in reply to #1023)

Been busy today, that's what's next ;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)