The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
VIP Glitch (new one)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

JeffreyD
Posted 2006-09-10 11:46 AM (#242170 - in reply to #242145)
Subject: Re: VIP Glitch (new one)

bobc,

Sounds like exactly the symptoms I am dealing with. After church today, I will mess with it a little more to see if there is maybe just contacts needing cleaning or something, but I suspect the irregular shape probably lends itself to occassional fitment issues. But, it does seem like there would be solid engagement of the contacts sufficient to allow for a bit of "tweak" in the plastic housings.

Jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2006-09-10 9:36 PM (#242171 - in reply to #242145)

Guys,

Before you freak out to much, try something simple. Loosen the screws that clamp the pre-amp housing into the body a little. If they are over tightened, the housing can "deform". I think this *could* cause a contact problem.

Let us know if it makes any difference.
JeffreyD
Posted 2006-09-11 10:27 AM (#242172 - in reply to #242145)

I actually was thinking about pulling the housing out and checking all the connections for security. I was a bit nervous it might void my warranty or something. Oh wait....second owner, I don't have a warranty do I. Oh well, I guess I will give it a shot.
JeffreyD
Posted 2006-09-12 11:10 AM (#242173 - in reply to #242145)

Latest update. After checking the housing (it was actually quite loose) I pulled the access panel on the back and when the problem occured, reached inside and started probing connections and cables.

I got a series of snap, crackle and pops when I lightly touched the ribbon cable where it connects to the circuit board at the jacks. I couldn't figure out if they are locked connectors as pulling on it, did not get it to come loose, and I didn't want to tug too hard, but after pushing it back down firmly, it quit messing up for the time being. Not sure if there is a bad solder, or cable. I have relayed all this to John at the MotherShip...he has been fantastic.

So, those of you who have played inside your Ovations/Adamas, do the ribbon cables just pull loose, or is there a trick to it. I don't want to break anything when taking it apart to clean up the contacts.
John B
Posted 2006-11-30 5:39 AM (#242174 - in reply to #242145)

Originally posted by JeffreyD:
What at first I thought was a random weirdness has now duplicated itself, so I want to throw the issue out to the experts.

A couple of weeks ago, I plugged in the 2080 at church, tuned up, did a sound check then set it down to go meet and greet. When I came back to start playing, I had no sound. Checked everything, and finally figured I would try the cord. When I unplugged the cord, the VIP lighted up briefly (as it does when you first plug it in) so I replugged and viola, sound. It hasn't done it again (and it was a new battery and a fairly new cord).

Last week, it did this again in my rec room studio. Different cord. Just shut down.

Last night again, as soon as I plugged in to do some pedal programming...nothing. I unplug and replug and boom, the VIP is powered.

For some reason, it is as if there is a circuit that senses the power up when you plug in and it either intermittently fails or something requiring a reset. This has happened with three different cords, and the fix is the same. Unplug and replug the guitar.

Any thoughts????? Is this sending the whole guitar back, or just the module?
Jeff:

I just started having the same exact problem with my 2080. Mine has actually cut out twice while I was playing. (once during a gig). I also had to unplug and plug back in. I had a brand new battery in as I always do for gigs. I had a wiring problem with my legend LX that took months of (process of elimination) repairs before it was finally fixed. If you ask me, I think that Ovation is trying to cram too many "bells and whistles" into these pre-amps. I wish they would just use a basic pre-amp that works properly. How have you made out with yours? Anything new?

John
JeffreyD
Posted 2006-11-30 10:25 AM (#242175 - in reply to #242145)

Sorry for not completing this thread, I think I did somewhere else.

Anyway, John B finally sent me an entirely new electronics package which I swapped in. Took all of about 10 minutes start to finish. When it was done, all has been well since.

It appear to actually have been a problem in the ribbon cable. We swapped in a new module and that didn't cure it, there was no indications of a problem with the plug itself, although that is possible, but when I messed with the ribbon cable sometime it would click on and off.

I sent the entire old unit back to the Mothership, so I hope they are evaluating the failure, but I am also wondering if it is just a "swap it and forget it" scenario.

This has reminded me, however, that I haven't tried my XLR connection since getting the new package. Maybe it will work now without the dummy plug? Hmmmmmmm
John B
Posted 2006-11-30 11:05 AM (#242176 - in reply to #242145)

Thanks for the update. I guess I'll look into getting the electronics replaced. I want to get this solved because I love the guitar aside from this problem.
JeffreyD
Posted 2006-11-30 11:52 AM (#242177 - in reply to #242145)

Opps....what a slip up. When I said John B, I was referring to Budney at Ovation...didn't notice you are a John B also. Sorry.

They were great to work with and very fast. I like you find the 2080 is growing on me after I pulled a couple of shims. Need to remove the Elixir's and go back to 1818's and it will be perfect (again).

Now if only they would develop a fix for the annoying dummy plug. What a pain!!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)