The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
It must be fall

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

cruster
Posted 2006-09-04 6:51 PM (#241821)
Subject: It must be fall

All of a sudden I find myself scouring fleaBay for Balladeers or Hamers or G&Ls or an Ibanez AF105F or something else that is interesting and still bottom feeder friendly. I laid off the guitar scene about five months ago, after selling the Comanche and the Cropper. I should've kept the Comanche, but I digress.

Maybe it's not a fall thing, afterall, but it sure seems like it's this time of year that I start buying stuff. My wife will be so thrilled. ;)

Oh, and hey, I'm going to be in Las Vegas next week...any OFCers out there?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-09-04 7:10 PM (#241822 - in reply to #241821)
Subject: Re: It must be fall

I was just wonderin' where you been the past few months, Crusty ol boy.

Enjoy Lost Wages.
cruster
Posted 2006-09-04 7:23 PM (#241823 - in reply to #241821)

Oh, been busy. Little of this, little of that. Took up bicycling; bought a road bike, converted my old school Fisher Tassajara in to a commuter, etc. Dealing with kids, etc. Oh, the neighbor gave me a Shopsmith Mark V. It's an older 510 model, but it's in 'as new' condition, having only been used twice, with all the attachments and manuals. I don't know what I'm going to do with that, though.

The Las Vegas trip is for 'work,' to attend the IBM AIX/Linux conference out there. I went two years ago and decided I never needed to return to LV. But, after playing Mr. Mom for six months while my better half was on bed rest, I figured I'd cop the free trip just for the chance to get out of town...much deserved R&R. Don't tell my boss, though. ;)
TRboy
Posted 2006-09-04 9:28 PM (#241824 - in reply to #241821)

Welcome back,Crusty......Did you ever locate any cherry and finish your amp case?
cruster
Posted 2006-09-04 9:52 PM (#241825 - in reply to #241821)

Nope, never did get any more cherry. But, I talked to my 'wood guy' and he thinks there's enough of the curly cherry I already have to make the enclosure. In fact, he just asked me on Friday last if I was ready for him to build it up. "Not chet," says I.

I need to go back through my notes from Charlie and see what it was he recommended for the finish. I think he said Delft. Or, maybe that was the wood guy, and Charlie said something different. I'm getting old...CRS.
JeffreyD
Posted 2006-09-04 10:29 PM (#241826 - in reply to #241821)

Oh, the neighbor gave me a Shopsmith Mark V. It's an older 510 model, but it's in 'as new' condition, having only been used twice, with all the attachments and manuals. I don't know what I'm going to do with that, though.
[/QB]
Ship it out here. I loaned mine to my Dad, he used it for two years on his new/old house, then he loaned it to my son-in-law, and....well let's just say I am getting tired of the Skill saw when I want to do a project.

They are a great tool, maybe build a guitar with it. Only down side, is changing time between functions, but when space is limited...makes all the sense in the world and well built buggers too.
TRboy
Posted 2006-09-04 10:30 PM (#241827 - in reply to #241821)

...if you're ready for him to build it?

Break in that "new" Shopsmith Mark V and make some sawdust! :D
stonebobbo
Posted 2006-09-05 1:20 AM (#241828 - in reply to #241821)

Oh, and hey, I'm going to be in Las Vegas next week
Say hi to my money while you're there.
cliff
Posted 2006-09-05 9:39 AM (#241829 - in reply to #241821)

As much I dislike Vegas, I GOTTA make another trip out there t'see this:
LOVE

I heard a radio interview with George Martin about the "redux" of all the music and saw a TV special about it at 3am last Sunday when I got home from a gig.

The multi-media alone looks like the makings of an awesome show . . .
cruster
Posted 2006-09-05 5:19 PM (#241830 - in reply to #241821)

They are a great tool, maybe build a guitar with it. Only down side, is changing time between functions, but when space is limited...makes all the sense in the world and well built buggers too.
Interestingly enough, the neighbor's daughter knows a guy who uses one to do just that (make guitars and mandolins) in his garage workshop. I need to clean out space in my own workshop before I can move it over (that'll be this weekend, though...heh).

...if you're ready for him to build it?
My dad is a great woodworker. Actually, he's pretty good at just about everything he does. Me, though...if it doesn't have transistors, tubes or magic smoke running it, I can't do a thing with it. Except break it. Go figure.

Say hi to my money while you're there.
Last time I went, I was there for a week (same as this time...heh). I gambled $1. If I see your money, I'll pass along your well wishes. Unless I see it in the gutter or on the sidewalk, then I'll pick it up and give it a good home. ;)

LOVE

I heard a radio interview with George Martin about the "redux" of all the music and saw a TV special about it at 3am last Sunday when I got home from a gig.

That does look interesting. I was trying to decide if should go see Gigantour or Candlebox while I'm out there. Or, maybe Pat Benetar.
fillhixx
Posted 2006-09-05 5:25 PM (#241831 - in reply to #241821)

Originally posted by cruster:
Or, maybe Pat Benetar.
"Hit me in the wet spot!"
Dah dunh..dah dunh....

oops! now when did I start channeling Cliff?
must...adjust...tinfoil...!
cliff
Posted 2006-11-21 4:24 PM (#241832 - in reply to #241821)

cliff
Member # 116

posted September 05, 2006 11:39 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOVE

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Soundtrack CD of this show was released today, and it is WAY cool!!!

It's over an hour's worth of tunes and each track segues into the next.

George Martin and his son, Giles re-mixed everything doing a series of "mash-ups" of Beatles' tunes using the original master tapes . . . it's VERY inventive!!!

Some may think it sacrilegeous to "muck about" with the original works, but if you look at the CD as it's own separate entity, it's quite imaginative.

Besides, I heard Martin say in an NPR interview yesterday that this'll be the last album he'll ever produce, so I hadda get it . . . .
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-11-21 4:44 PM (#241833 - in reply to #241821)

I heard parts of the same Geoge Martin interview and was very impressed. Comments from Paul and Ringo about the new CD were very complimentary.
aikido777
Posted 2006-11-21 10:07 PM (#241834 - in reply to #241821)

Cruster,

Nice to see another fan of G&Ls out there. I bought a Legacy in a custom, blue-swirl finish as a college graduation gift to myself. It was my first nice guitar.

The fact that you can still buy guitars made the way George and Leo wanted, with many of the same tools as the original strats, makes buying an old strat an unnecessary expense IMHO.

Great guitars.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2006-11-22 10:56 AM (#241835 - in reply to #241821)

Cliff et al: Speaking of LOVE, if you go to AOL Full CD Lostening Party you can hear the complete album free.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)